yz450 problem

3 replies to this topic
  • jwcrf05

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:03 PM

hey guys
what does your oil look like when you change it? the other day I put brand new yama oil in my bike went out and rode maybe 1 tank of gas and the oil looks dirty already. it seems like everytime i change it, it gets dirty so fast. what does your oil look like and how long between changes?

• jwcrf05

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:54 PM

nobody can tell me what their oil looks like? please help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted March 05, 2006 - 07:04 AM

What year is your bike? I have an 06 450 and when first oil came out was very dirty. Changed oil after about 2 hours (probably too long) and oil has stayed very clean since (about another 8 hours). I use Silkolene Comp 4 10w-40. There have been other threads on this regarding shelves in the motor that can retain dirt etc. Do a search to find out more. How often do you change your oil?

• Batmandog

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:35 AM

hey guys
what does your oil look like when you change it? the other day I put brand new yama oil in my bike went out and rode maybe 1 tank of gas and the oil looks dirty already. it seems like everytime i change it, it gets dirty so fast. what does your oil look like and how long between changes?

Assuming that your engine/tranmission is tight , works and looks fine I wouldn't sweat it . You could probably do a few very short interval oil changes to make it look prettier . If the oil got a little old and black one time it'll take a few flushes to clear out the nooks and crannies in the engine/trans.
Other causes : Tired engine/ring blow by goes right into the crankcase makes it black and clutch fiber material usually looks sort of like very well shaken balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing ...ok not the best analogy but ground up clutch fiber is pretty obvious .........Anyone else ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.