chain and sprockets gearing question

8 replies to this topic
  • crfdaddy

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:55 PM

i have a 04 yz 450f . i was thinking on replacing the sprockets and chain. what brand would you all recomend ? what gearing? mx tracks some tight corners not many but a few,where can i get a good price on it? just some thoughts haven't got a flywheel weight yet but that is on the list probably dr. d 6or 8 oz from what i been reading. thanks for the input and suggestions.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Well my 426 came with a 14 51 and its waaaayyyyyyy too tall i just bought a brand new jt steel (a must for long term use) 51 rear and lemans 13 front havent installed yet but i think it will make it a whole lot better. I'm not sure about the mx track thingh because I mostly do trails. I got a krause (sidewinder) chain right now but a rk chain maybe x ring but thats only if you want fancy but the o ring will work fine I would definitly suggest a plated chain even though they're a bit more they dont rust nearly as easy

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I would say to use a Regina ORN for the chain. They last me more than two years as a rule, and with minimal maintenance. They seem to run a little freer than the DID's, too. Or you could step up to the ZRH.

For the sprockets, TAG if you want aluminum. They are again, very durable, and also light. If you want to go really trick, use Ironman rears. Here's a good deal on the Ironman stuff and the chains

For outdoor MX, I run a tooth or two higher than stock, 14/47 or 15/49. It works really well with the big power curve, and you just don't have to shift much.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:41 PM

I would say to use a Regina ORN for the chain. They last me more than two years as a rule, and with minimal maintenance. They seem to run a little freer than the DID's, too. Or you could step up to the ZRH.

For the sprockets, TAG if you want aluminum. They are again, very durable, and also light. If you want to go really trick, use Ironman rears. Here's a good deal on the Ironman stuff and the chains

For outdoor MX, I run a tooth or two higher than stock, 14/47 or 15/49. It works really well with the big power curve, and you just don't have to shift much.

That's an incredible deal my friend just bought a rear for his ktm 125 and it was 120

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:45 PM

That's an incredible deal my friend just bought a rear for his ktm 125 and it was 120

He's good people. :thumbsup:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:18 PM

Renthal Sprockets front & rear and an RK X-ring Chain all the way...

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:38 PM

RK x-ring chain is a lot of what my pro friends run on their bikes. Vortex makes a good light weight sprocket.

• perrymx23

Posted March 04, 2006 - 04:37 AM

I run the rocky mountain mc stuff 14/47 for gearing. Really helps with how the bike reacts in corners also saves the arms a little.
Front $7.00 rear $17.00 and x-ring chain $51. The sprockets and chain will last a long time. I remove my chain everytime i wash my bike (alot).
Your 450 will never know there's a steel sprocket on the rear.

• crashyz426

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:02 AM

I also run the rocky mountain primary drive brand. I used to run them on my old cr250 and it was great and cheap. I ordered them as a kit 14/49 and an xring chain for $63. it also came with a can of chain lube. I wanted the steel sprockets, they last longer and hopefully take out a bit of the violence from the throttle. havent put them on yet

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.