SDG Seat

17 replies to this topic
  • *mike68*

Posted September 28, 2001 - 02:19 AM

For you guys with the SDG seat:
Are you guys with the SDG seat ginding it any softer than the stock balsa wood seat?

I am expecting mine today or tomorrow to go with a acerbis YZ tank that someone from this site so graciously sent me.

With this combination I should be roosting John Dowd...right?? :)

• tripm

Posted September 28, 2001 - 03:17 AM

There is a test on Dowd's bike in the new Motocross Action.

I don't think you'll be roosting him.

• *mike68*

Posted September 28, 2001 - 04:15 AM

He's a peice of cake. :)

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted September 28, 2001 - 05:50 AM

Mike,

I love my SDG seat. Its soft enough to avoid the dreaded monkey butt on long rides but still firm enough to feel and control the bike while sitting. You had better not do much sitting if your planning on taking on Dowd.

My only grippes about the seat are very minor and hardly worth mentioning, but what the heck:

1.The mounting brackets need to be "adjusted" slightly before you install it for the first time. I used a hammer.
2.There is a little bit of play at the tank junction.

Other than that, its bitchen. The quality is top notch and the fabric grips just right. Enjoy!

------------------
N 33'41.156" W117'59.749"
HelmetCam Videos

• Hick

Posted September 28, 2001 - 06:28 AM

I just got my Moose catalog, and they are now selling a complete seat. If I had to guess I’d say it was made by SDG, but it does have a Moose logo on it.

But the interesting thing is that they show a std. and TALL version.

They don’t give prices in the catalog, and don’t sell direct, so “contact your local Parts Unlimited dealer.”

• Rocky

Posted September 28, 2001 - 08:40 AM

Does the SDG seat work with the stock WR tank? If not are there any softer seats out there that work with the stock tank?

• *mike68*

Posted September 28, 2001 - 08:43 AM

I think they only make the YZ style right now.

• *mike68*

Posted October 03, 2001 - 03:18 AM

This seat is harder than the stock seat! :)

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 03, 2001 - 05:09 AM

Rocky,
I ordered & installed the softer stock hightseat foam from Factory Fx.I dont remember the cost because it was 1 1/2 years ago. but after the trip to the upholstery shop to get it installed correctly it ended up about $70.00 or so w/shipping and all. Much softer than the factory brick and well worth the bucks.

Jim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 03, 2001 - 05:41 AM

Harder than stock? Is that possible?

Something ain't right…

------------------
N 33'41.156" W117'59.749"
HelmetCam Videos

• *mike68*

Posted October 03, 2001 - 05:45 AM

My A$$ says I went from balsa wood to oak.
I was really hoping for a little Charmin action with the new seat. Anyone else find the SDG seat hard as a rock? Maybe it needs break in. I guess I will just stand more which makes me faster anyays.

• Rocky

Posted October 03, 2001 - 06:02 AM

If you want a softer seat foam for your WR, Guts Racing has soft foam (stock height and one inch taller) you can send your seat to them and they will replace the foam for free and ship it back to you.
http://www.gutsracin...utsracing1.html

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 03, 2001 - 06:11 AM

Rocky, The WR-SDG only works with the YZ style tank.

Ron, SDG sent out new brackets for customers that already purchased their seats with new brackets. They are suppose to fit much better. I have an extra set if you need them.
Monkey butt? Dude, I raced the Vegas to Reno race this last weekend (3rd place). If you look up the word "Monkey butt" in the dictonary you would find a picture of MY butt!!! Thank god I didnt have a YZ seat on my bike. I ran a WR seat with a gripper cover on it for the 526 mile race which turned out to be a better choice for the long ride.

PS, I think I'll be going riding this weekend with the same ole bunch of guys if you're interested...

Let me know.

• *mike68*

Posted October 03, 2001 - 06:14 AM

My seat brackets fit with no issues.

• hart

Posted October 03, 2001 - 08:36 AM

I have a new sdg seat and an IMS seat. Both for the yz tank. I noticed the same thing that the sdg was hard like a stock yz seat. the IMS was a little taller but plenty softer. I suppose you have to go to tall foam to get any softer than the IMS.

• *mike68*

Posted October 03, 2001 - 08:52 AM

How much was the IMS seat? I am not sure if my but can hold up to the new seat.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 03, 2001 - 01:09 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the offer on the brackets. My modified ones have that custom fit thing working. Thanks anyhow.

I would love to ride with you guys again, BUT wouldn't you know - I'm working again. I kind of have a side business that is doing real well. Too well. No kidding - I have not even seen my WR in almost two months! Oh yeah, the $ is a good thing.

Congrats on the Reno ride dude. It makes me tired just thinking about it. Good job! :)

Mike,

I am positive that my SDG seat is softer than my stock WR seat was. In fact, it's much softer. I wonder if they changed foams? Their headquarters is only a few miles from me. I think I'll call them and ask…

• Hick

Posted October 03, 2001 - 04:04 PM

While you're at it ask them if they do make a "tall" version, and how soft THAT one is.

Please.

Thanks. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.