TeraFlex II America vs. China Version Comparison

52 replies to this topic
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted March 06, 2006 - 04:29 PM

The US steel belted version is all I've tried so far, but-
I'll be the 1st to say the 'flex isn't well mannered, but I don't think there's a tire that can compare to it for a heavy dual-sport that you want to use for anything from sand to sliprock.
If you can keep it chugging it'll get you up, through, over anything.
And it runs flat just fine!

Dave

• hometheaterman

Posted March 09, 2006 - 10:00 AM

I have the tire on my CR500 the chinese version anyway and I thought it was pretty good it didn't get the best traction but nothing does on a CR500. I overall liked it and was thinking of putting it on my DRZ next but you guys don't seem to care for it too much. My only complaint is it has about 3 hours on it and the knobbies have started getting rounded off 2 of those hours in a fied 1 on gravel roads. Of course it isn't really the tires fault the 500 will rip through any tire in a few rides according to other guys here.

• TahomaTom

Posted March 13, 2006 - 03:12 PM

Well I finally pick up the L this weekend with the Terflaex mounted up.

I am very pleased with it. It was great in the mud and did Ok at highway speeds. It is not avon gripster but road smooth enought at 75.

I only put about 10 miles on it so it is pretty slick. Just did not want to push it since I had a both new tires and we had snow for the first time in over a decade.

• gnarly sprockets

Posted March 13, 2006 - 03:30 PM

We'll I just bought and mounted the American 140/80-18 Teraflex II and my buddy bought the 150/90-18 Teraflex II China version. We are both riding 2000 street legal XR650R's. Were going to take pictures of both tires once they are mounted on the bikes brand new and we'll give occasional updates on the wear comparison between the American and Chinese tire. I've read alot of hear-say about the China tire vs. the American tire so this should put the issue to rest.

BTW the TeraFlex is one mean looking tire that I can't wait to try out!!

You guys should swap bikes every 100 miles just to be sure of an impartial test. Do you weigh the same or twist the throttle the same? Make sure you have the same air pressure, preload, compression and rebound settings also. One of you should always be in the same track as the other and..........

• BIGGITY

Posted March 13, 2006 - 03:50 PM

Back from Baja. I'll write up the report once I get home in a couple of hours...

I kind of f'ed up the comparison though. I'll tell you about it later....

• BIGGITY

Posted March 15, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Well here is the report. Got down to San Felipe and we rode. Turns out that the US "Steel Belted" version does flex when hitting higher speeds. Little did I know until I had already gone 30-40 miles at high speeds in the lead. Turns out my wheel was rubbing my swingarm the whole time. The swingarm got rubbed badly and now there is grooves in it. The tire got worn down on the middle lug do to the rubbing. Experiment is SHOT! BUMMER. The guy who rode the Chinese version had the same thing. He even had more space between his swingarm and tire than I did. So basically you need to move the rear axle waaaaaay back. Probably all the way back to the last or second to last mark. Your probably going to need a new chain also unless you can add links.

Bummer though because I'm 6'7 240 and he is 6'6 230 so we should have had very similar wear on the tires..

End of report. Sorry guys....

• bork

Posted March 16, 2006 - 05:10 AM

Well here is the report. Got down to San Felipe and we rode. Turns out that the US "Steel Belted" version does flex when hitting higher speeds. Little did I know until I had already gone 30-40 miles at high speeds in the lead. Turns out my wheel was rubbing my swingarm the whole time. The swingarm got rubbed badly and now there is grooves in it. The tire got worn down on the middle lug do to the rubbing. Experiment is SHOT! BUMMER. The guy who rode the Chinese version had the same thing. He even had more space between his swingarm and tire than I did. So basically you need to move the rear axle waaaaaay back. Probably all the way back to the last or second to last mark. Your probably going to need a new chain also unless you can add links.

Bummer though because I'm 6'7 240 and he is 6'6 230 so we should have had very similar wear on the tires..

End of report. Sorry guys....

Any feedback, good or bad, is usefull. Let us know what clearence there was from tire to swingarm, & what speeds were run . I'm geared lower & top out at maybe 75. Since they are both rubbing then that would still make them comparable. Did you guys go home then ? If not how many more miles? :thumbsup: Do you guys ride only straight line fast ? I thought maybe you were going to give us other conditions report ? Give us more please, even though maybe tainted.

• TahomaTom

Posted March 16, 2006 - 09:26 AM

I guess I should go check my swing arm.

• motochris

Posted March 16, 2006 - 11:31 AM

That tire is for the same crowd that buys a streetbike for the size of the rear tire. It's a joke. "Lets put the biggest tire we can find on our bike" Let's screw up the handling so we can look like our bikes have lots of power" Even for the Baja 1000, Team Honda has their rear tire as far FORWARD as it goes, to keep the bike handling well.

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 16, 2006 - 01:49 PM

and to add to motochris's thoughts... while the rest of the offroad world is looking at the advantage of trials tires, people still buy the terraflex. the terraflex is the "loud pipe" of dift bike tires.

i shudder at the thought of good single track hill sections getting clapped out in the hands of some paddle-walker with a terra flex mounted on the back of his 650r.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrackiN

Posted March 16, 2006 - 02:06 PM

I can see that the art of making a mountain out of a mole hill is still alive....I hear the Teraflex is excellent at traversing both the mountain and the mole hill by the way....My bike handles the same no matter what everyone else is using which makes me a happy rider...... : )
I am pretty sure that this thread was started for those who were contemplating buying and using the Teraflex and compile some knowledge as to which one had the biggest bang for the buck....I don't think anyone was intending to launch a campaign to have the Teraflex elected for president although I would probably vote for Tflex....

• Naru

Posted March 16, 2006 - 03:47 PM

While I won't stir the pot on the Teraflex issue, I would like to mention that IRC makes a tire that's sort of a 'mini' Teraflex, the IRC M5B. It doesn't have the steel belting, but the knobs are massive and it lasts a good long time. It also doesn't rub when the tire is foreward on the swingarm. Just a thought.

• motochris

Posted March 16, 2006 - 04:19 PM

I
I am pretty sure that this thread was started for those who were contemplating buying and using the Teraflex and compile some knowledge as to which one had the biggest bang for the buck........

True....but I'm with Thunderchicken on this. More people buy the terraflex because it's the biggest tire on the shelf, not because of any true performance advantage.

• BIGGITY

Posted March 17, 2006 - 08:04 AM

Motochris and thunderchicken....

Pretty strong words... Kind of closed minded if you ask me.

I live in So-Cal and ride tight trails to dez to street to blow sand. This tire can do it all. I go down to San Felipe 3 times a year and Ocatillo a ton and whenever there is silty super loose sand it grabs like crazy. Yes I agree it is not the best mannered tire out there but for a durable, multipurpose [COLOR=Red]DOT [/COLOR] tire you can't beat it. Try running a 606 rear tire in loose sandy stuff and you'll spend a large majority of your time spinning your back tire especially with the 650r's power. The Tera digs deep enough to get you going quickly.

Not to mention for all of us who are street legal it is a great tire because it won't get shreaded on the road.

P.S. The further back rear axle doesn't make much difference. Yes it doesn't corner as well but for the most part 70% + of my riding is high speed desert type riding. I'm not out riding a xr650r on a mx track. The lack of cornering is made up for in by the instant traction anyway.

P.S.S. I'm not Johhny Campbell or Steve Hengeveld and I will never be as fast as them so why the f**k do I care how they are set up? We all know that the closer the rear axle is the better the handling...This is about a multi-purpose, long lasting DOT tire that will take most anything you will throw at it.

P.S.S In high speed widely seperated whoops (Ones spread out by trophy trucks etc..) it is kind of wild but in normal 2nd thru 4th gear whoops I have no problems.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 17, 2006 - 09:15 AM

Just a note on the enviro-destruction wrought by the T-flex-

For me, it spins LESS so it damages LESS. My goal is to make it so you can't even tell I was there, and spinning less is KEY to that.

I will be the 1st to say that the T-flex is not a PERFORMANCE tire if you're looking to crank out the best lap times.

Personally if there was something out there that was smaller, weighed less, cost less, that performed as good (for my DS purposes), I'd be all over it. Buuuut, there isn't.

I completely agree that people who shred hills and buy the biggest tire because it 'looks cool' are idiots.

Dave

• motochris

Posted March 17, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Motochris and thunderchicken....

Pretty strong words... Kind of closed minded if you ask me.

I'm not being closed minded....I'm giving my opinion on a tire. Closed minded would imply I have no knowledge of the tire whatsoever, and I'm just bagging on it for it's size. I JUST removed a Terraflex from the XR650R I just purchased. It did all of the things mentioned earlier....ripped off the shock protector, rubbed the swingarm, etc. Not only that, but the tire just plain didn't work well. It was HORRENDOUS in the loose rocky areas. Braking wasn't good.....wanted to slide too much. Cornering was poor....etc. About the only thing it had going for it was straight line acceleration. That's certainly not enough in MY book to disregard all the problems it presents.

As far as your comments on bike setup and such....baloney. 1st you say that the rear axle being back makes no difference, since 70% of your riding is "high speed" desert (which is EXACTLY what JC and Henge do), then say you don't care how their bikes are set up.
Regardless of your skill level, proper bike setup will only improve your riding. If Team Honda goes through whoops at 100 mph, and still has there bikes set up with the wheel forward, it'll probably work for your "high speed" desert riding as well.

Feel free to run any and all tires you see fit. I'm just giving my opinion of a tire that is purchased more for its size than anything else. Ask any shop that stocks the tire.....the guys that pull it off the shelf does so because it's "gnarly" and his friends will think it's cool.

• BIGGITY

Posted March 17, 2006 - 01:52 PM

Back to the main point

D.O.T.

A D.O.T that is good in sand, street, and trails...

Think Henge and Campbell are running D.O.T. tires?

How many D.O.T. tires do you know of that are comparable?

• motochris

Posted March 17, 2006 - 02:16 PM

Back to the main point

D.O.T.

A D.O.T that is good in sand, street, and trails...

Think Henge and Campbell are running D.O.T. tires?

For a NUMBER of years, Team Honda used a Metzler Karoo (yes-DOT) on the rear of their Baja bikes.....have they ever used a Terraflex? No.

Don't get your undies in a bunch....like I said, this is all MY opinion on this tire. I'm sure there are many people who like it....(they just don't know any better :thumbsup: )

Posted Image

• bork

Posted March 17, 2006 - 10:41 PM

That metzler looks a little like the michlin dessert, I used to run & like.(dot also) But I'm off subject cause this thread was to inform the mass of comparison of china/American case. sorry

• SDBSKI

Posted March 18, 2006 - 03:06 AM

DOT off road tires are great for high speed desert because of their heavy duty casings. That is what they are made for, high speed and heat. That's part of the DOT testing and approval process. BAJA usually has pavement sections where they run 100+mph and an 'R' rated (106mph) tire is a safe choice. This is no place for a motocross tire or a tire made in China that rubs on your swing arm. In regard to the terraflex, I was in the market for tires and heard good and bad. I decided I didn't want a tire that rubs my chain guard or swing arm or makes me add another master link and chain bits to keep it from ripping off my mud flap. I have read of people offsetting the rim on the hub in one direction by tightening one side of the spokes while loosening the other side. I'm no expert but I don't think this would help the handling. Tires are a personal preference. It all depends on where you ride and what you expect. I ride on road just enough to get to a desert off road riding area so I went with a 110/100-18 Dunlop D739 non DOT which is a intermediate to hard terrain tire. It works great for my bike off road and I know if I ride on the pavement I don't expect it to last very long.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.