New Muffler Packing?

13 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted March 03, 2006 - 12:53 PM

I just installed Moose Silent Sport Muffler Packing in my WR400F and it is smoking a little bit!

Is it supposed to smoke at first?

It's a lot quieter and faster because of the back pressure!

• marcusmoberg

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Whenever I Give it full throttle it just bogs down and doesn't gain any speed!

I didn't take any rivets out, I just took the end cap out and took the muffler off of the bike and took about half of the Moose Silent Sport packing and put it in the core with a dowel rod.

I think I either put too much in there or got it packed too tight or didn't put it in there correct.

Can anybody tell me what to do?

• Matty05

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Did you remove the old packing? The old stuff must come out before new packing goes in.
As far as bogging is concerned, change your jetting, you are lean.

• marcusmoberg

Posted March 04, 2006 - 07:11 AM

It did not have any packing in it at all!

I took the end cap off and the muffler off the bike and took the packing and stuffed it in the core with the dowel ride.

Whenever I give it full throttle it just bogs and want pick up any speed at all!

Do you think it is the packing or the jetting? :thumbsup:

• bg10459

Posted March 04, 2006 - 08:17 AM

I just installed Moose Silent Sport Muffler Packing in my WR400F....It's a lot quieter and faster because of the back pressure!

Whenever I give it full throttle it just bogs and want pick up any speed at all!

:thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

Did you remove the old packing?

:thumbsup: hmm, that's odd. :eek: Where do you think it went? Maybe the WR mufflers aren't supposed to have packing. My 03 WR450 doesn't.

I took the end cap off and the muffler off the bike and took the packing and stuffed it in the core with the dowel ride.

What do you suppose is going to keep the packing from collapsing in and completely blocking your muffler?

Do you think it is the packing or the jetting? :bonk:

:eek: :lol: :bonk:

• WR400Fdunk

Posted March 04, 2006 - 01:02 PM

your not supposed to put packing in the core.. your supposed to drill the rivits and pop the core out then wrap the outside of the core. im pretty sure that if your putting exhaust packing in the center of the core.. it would just clog it up.. all of the mufflers i have packed required this method. and almost all scilencers has a somewhat straight through design and your spark arrester should be the only obstruction in the flow.. i would take your scilencer off compleatly and make sure you get all that packing out of your core.. running a bike with a spark arrestor makes it run about 10 to 30 degrees hotter so running it all corked up incorrectly with scilencer packing could make it run really hot and caues some serious problems. if i were you i wouldnt run the bike anymore untill you get it fixed. unless you want to over heat your bike and possably burn the valves.. it sounds like your running lean becase of this also.

• WR_Dave

Posted March 04, 2006 - 01:36 PM

If you don't take care of it then don't ride it.

I think this says it all

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bg10459

Posted March 04, 2006 - 01:50 PM

your not supposed to put packing in the core.. your supposed to drill the rivits and pop the core out then wrap the outside of the core.

I think think this is where the problem started. It's not a YZ pipe, it's a WR pipe; it doesn't have rivets or a core. It's got an end cap that bolts on, and the wall of the can has perforated liner. Take a look inside, Marcus. If there is any packing in there it's between the perforated liner and the exterior of the can (I doubt it), but you'll be cutting and re-welding to get to it.
Bottom line, you don't need packing in a WR muffler (a US version, at least)

• marcusmoberg

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Are you 100% SURE I don't need packing in the muffler of my 2000 Yamaha WR400F??????

I thought the stock muffler had packing in it!!!!!! :thumbsup:

So I don't need packing in my muffler?

Does anybody else with a WR400F have packing in their stock muffler?

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:17 PM

Are you 100% SURE I don't need packing in the muffler of my 2000 Yamaha WR400F??????

I thought the stock muffler had packing in it!!!!!! :thumbsup:

So I don't need packing in my muffler?

Does anybody else with a WR400F have packing in their stock muffler?

Dude how old are you 8? :thumbsup:

You had at least three people tell you the WR muffler doesn't need packing and you are asking them if they're sure. Pull your head out of your ass, take the moose packing out of the muffler and put the sparky back in its spot. The WR pipe was designed without muffler packing.

• bg10459

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Take a look inside, Marcus.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

• marcusmoberg

Posted March 04, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Dude how old are you 7? :thumbsup:

• bluebike1999

Posted December 01, 2006 - 02:42 AM

send em packin
this stuff is great

• GCannon

Posted December 01, 2006 - 09:54 AM

You Know.
If you put some of that packing material in your helmet around the forehead area just before a race then you will stay cool and dry and The sweat will not drip down into your goggles!
An old Husky racer showed me that trick just thought i would sare it.:worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.