00 yz426 clutch grinding

8 replies to this topic
  • jermy01

Posted March 03, 2006 - 12:09 PM

hey guys, i have a 2000 yz 426.....i noticed a couple rides back and since then a grinding when i let out the clutch, so i did some research and found that they came with a weak clutch basket....so i have started tearing apart my clutch, it seems that i already have an upgraded clutch as it seems different from the pics in the book (6 springs instead of only 5) i am waiting for my 1 3/16 inch socket to arrive and will probably have to go get the special tool to hold to remove to clutch hub nut, any ideas of what could be making this noise? last time i changed my oil, i did notice a couple small pieces or big shavings of metal on my magnetic oil plug, but have gone riding once si nce then (retarded, i know) and there was none on it this time.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• palmdaleRider

Posted March 03, 2006 - 02:41 PM

My guess with all that dirt shown in the picture, some of it got into the engine. :thumbsup:

My first thought was you have the 2000 clutch and not the 2001. Mine use to make a grinding grating noise until I did the upgrade. I'm confused what your bike might have. From recall I thought the upgrade was one less clutch plate, not one more. I don't remember so that's FWIW.

• palmdaleRider

Posted March 03, 2006 - 02:43 PM

BTW, my grinding grating was only noticible for 1 gear clutch release.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2006 - 03:06 PM

Can't see the edges of the basket fingers to tell if they are notched or not, but if you can feel a distinct waviness on the surface that contacts the friction plates, you should probably replace it. If you don't have an air impact, then put the bike in a higher gear and put a hammer handle across the swing arm, through the spokes, close to the rim. That will hold it.

The grinding noise is due to the plates, and not the basket. Most of the grabby behavior, the dragging, and the noise can be got rid of by simply replacing your complete clutch plate stack with those from the '01 model, and add the "boss spring", 5JG-16383-00-00, as well. That will give you a much smoother clutch. Use new springs, too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426_Texan

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Definetly do the '01 upgrade mod, it makes a world of difference. :thumbsup:

• jermy01

Posted March 03, 2006 - 11:16 PM

Can't see the edges of the basket fingers to tell if they are notched or not, but if you can feel a distinct waviness on the surface that contacts the friction plates, you should probably replace it. If you don't have an air impact, then put the bike in a higher gear and put a hammer handle across the swing arm, through the spokes, close to the rim. That will hold it.

The grinding noise is due to the plates, and not the basket. Most of the grabby behavior, the dragging, and the noise can be got rid of by simply replacing your complete clutch plate stack with those from the '01 model, and add the "boss spring", 5JG-16383-00-00, as well. That will give you a much smoother clutch. Use new springs, too.

thank you guys for your help, i will have to do that, still wanna remove the basket to see what the metal shavings were. and what is the "boss spring"?

• 426_Texan

Posted March 03, 2006 - 11:54 PM

thank you guys for your help, i will have to do that, still wanna remove the basket to see what the metal shavings were. and what is the "boss spring"?

go to www.yamahaoftroy.com and use the OEM parts finder link to look up the clutch fische for a 2001 model.

• palmdaleRider

Posted March 04, 2006 - 05:57 AM

Fine metal shaving are normal. Do a search.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2006 - 11:45 AM

...what is the "boss spring"?

It's a bellville (dished, or conical) spring designed to lessen the grab of the clutch plates by buffering the application of the spring pressure against the plate stack.

Go to:
http://www.yamaha-mo...parts/home.aspx
click "proceed to catalog" if that page appears.
Put in motorcycle, 2001, yz426, and go to the clutch page. It's item #13

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.