Stage 1 hotcam
Full Yoshimura exhaust
K&N filter
Carillo rod
Barnett clutch
13/48 gearing

Plus all the other mods....

MY QUESTION IS.......

I have a mikuni flatslide tm-38 mm. Will it be enough carb for the motor when jetted right????

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:54 AM

I would suggest a carb that can handle a good dirt load. Like the one the K&N is going to let through.

• Supplicate

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I would suggest a carb that can handle a good dirt load. Like the one the K&N is going to let through.

:thumbsup:

might I suggest going to a UNI or similar?

• cleonard

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I sure agree on the K&N. If your going to ride street only, then the K&N should be OK. If you will be riding dirt, go back to the oiled foam filter.

Make sure you are on the rich side. If it goes lean when it's hot with that 10.5:1 piston, it'll fry. Do yourself a favor and get one of those oil temp gagues. Over 300 is bad.

One thing I've never understood, what do the aftermarket rods do for the engine? Are they lighter or something?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:03 AM

I'm just taking a guess here...but I bet he rides mostly on the street.

That carb should be fine. See- Bernoulli's Principle.

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I agree with the temp dipstick but typically those read out what the oil temp is in the holding unit(frame) where the oil will cool. Those temp strips are nice, mount one on your radiator and one on the cylinder and use them. They're fairly accurate too.

• HawkGT

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:38 AM

[snip]...One thing I've never understood, what do the aftermarket rods do for the engine? Are they lighter or something?

Lighter and stronger. They don't really increase horsepower (although parisitic HP loss is reduced with lighter components) but they will help an engine spin up faster and aren't likely to wind up poking out of the crankcase.

• Wheels up

Posted March 03, 2006 - 02:44 PM

I'm just taking a guess here...but I bet he rides mostly on the street.

That carb should be fine. See- Bernoulli's Principle.

Actually I ride mostly offroad. I have a UNI also that I will use. Thanks.

IS a TM-38 enough carb?

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.