KTM 400 vs. WR450f.....ready to buy...help please

21 replies to this topic
  • santacruzr

Posted March 03, 2006 - 04:35 AM

Selling my WR250 and its been a great bike. A friend that rides a lot, has a KTM 450exc and recommends KTM....he says they are better built. I thought KTM was more expensive and more difficult to maintain....I found some good deals on KTM locally....I'm stuck...any help would be appreciated. The WR450 looks like a beast.....

• boer

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:33 AM

I was in the same boat 2 months ago. I went for the WR because of the cost of the bike, availability of spares and everyones advice on this forum. I think that there are no bad bikes out there. Just choose the colour you like most :thumbsup:

• TARFELE

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:22 AM

I have heard from former Factory KTM riders that even they have to wait on parts sometimes. I even confirmed that with the Manager of the local dealer I use. (Yamaha,KTM,Honda,Suzuki)

Call your local dealer and ask to order some major parts, side covers etc. and ask them how long before they can have them. I am sure some parts are easier than others.

I know that they have improved in this area but missing even 1 day of riding sucks.

This is all 3rd party information I have never experienced any of what I told you but that is because I don't ride a KTM!

I know that KTM is an incredibly reliable bike, why else would most of your Hair Scrambles and Enduros be covered with Orange and Black bikes? It sure isn't the price!

• rebolc

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:44 AM

Just wondering, why are you comparing the KTM 400 to the WR 450? Why not 450 to 450?

As for parts availability, it's a non issue from my experience. I haven't had to wait any longer for parts for the KTM versus my Yamis. Both are going to be excellent bikes, just choose one and ride.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may have to adjust your valves more often on the KTM, but it is a very very easy procedure. The WR/YZ valves stay in spec longer but probably more difficult to adjust.

Can't go wrong either way :thumbsup:

• santacruzr

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:57 AM

Just wondering, why are you comparing the KTM 400 to the WR 450? Why not 450 to 450?

As for parts availability, it's a non issue from my experience. I haven't had to wait any longer for parts for the KTM versus my Yamis. Both are going to be excellent bikes, just choose one and ride.

One thing to keep in mind is that you may have to adjust your valves more often on the KTM, but it is a very very easy procedure. The WR/YZ valves stay in spec longer but probably more difficult to adjust.

Can't go wrong either way :thumbsup:

I'm 49....moving up from a 250f. I recently rode a 450x and the KTm 450 and both have scarey power...my Local KTM dealer, and elderly guy I really like, rides a 400 and he says its the best for his style.........sounds good to me...I don't want to kill myself...I have kids to but through college...

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:22 AM

I recently rode a 450x and the KTm 450 and both have scarey power...my

Power on the WR450 will be equally as scary on the WR450. It scares me all the time.

Sometimes I like being scared, other times I don't.

I most certainly wouldn't consider the wr450 a "mellow" bike.

• kskyles

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:42 AM

It's been my experience that I've had to wait a quite a while for my KTM parts...and we have a great local dealer. Even ordering parts online takes longer.

KTMs are great bikes, but i've found the yamaha do be better for me. KTMs are cool, because you don't have to spend much time doing modifications.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

• metalmaster117

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:01 AM

ktm is a high performance machine no matter what its gonna gave more power than the wr with out a doubt but with all high performance machines the more high performance the more maintanence plus in my exprience the wr450 is a fricken rock you could drive it off a cliff and it will still run(telling from expreince) the wr stock from the dealer is pretty tame not that bad its when u start taking the emission starderds and stuff off like the snorkel and the throttle stop and the emission regulation wire or more commonly nown as the grey wire that pretty much seperates wr and the yzf from each other... i personaly suggest the 450 that bike is indestructable and takes very low maintence but with all bikes it has some maintence.

• Thom_McNabb

Posted March 03, 2006 - 12:48 PM

I recently faced the same problem.

I am an A enduro rider but I like small bikes. I would have gotten a 250 four stroke and been done with it except I wanted a do-it-all bike and the 250 would have been a poor dual sport mount.

I too was torn between the EXC400 (as the smallest big bore) and the WR450 because of everything I had heard about it.

Luckily I got to ride them back to back on the same day. My brother let me ride his 02 EXC 400 and my brother in law hooked me up with an 05 WR450. Both were close to stock. The KTM had more done to it and had a Trick DS kit on it. The fact that the top rated enduro guys get a 400 when a 450 is available had me leaning strongly towards the KTM.

My humble opinion:

Power - The KTM 400 is less intimidating and probably better for very tight woods. The Yamaha is very controllable, strong everywhere and so flexible that I felt less scared that I thought I would be about a big bore four stroke. I felt no disadvantage to either transmission; I had expected the Yamaha to suffer in this area, but the 5 speed is as good as the 6 speed

Handling/suspension - Either bike was totally fine. I felt either one could be dialed in easily to all my needs. I did nothing to adjust suspension on either bike. The tires were different and the Yamaha had stock suspension.

Both bikes had a good record of reliability for their respective owners.

In the end I bought the Yamaha because I got a good deal on a used 05.

If I was racing more or just doing tight trails I might have leaned to the KTM but the great deal and dealer network in my area slightly tipped the scales toward the Yamaha. The KTM is ironically a little mellower motor and a little racier feel. When comparing 450 to 450 I would give a little more edge to the Yamaha.

I know this is a cliche, but you really can't go wrong; I love the Yamaha and even near stock it is a superb motorcycle. Ask any KTM owner and they ar likely to have the same opinion of the KTM.

Find your best deal and compare your dealers!

• OneToGo

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi
I went through a similar dilemma around 6 months ago and ended up with the 06WR. My decision basically came down to cost and dealer support/bike availability. While the availability and support may not be big issues in some locations (Vis. AUS where Dirt Bike support for all makes is generally very good and orange and blue can be seen in about equal numbers), it can and does influence buyer preference as witnessed here in a small sample, and similarly in other previous threads on the comparable questions.
I think any 400/450 would be great to have once dialed in. The WR comes plugged up and everyone who buys it knows what is required to de-restrict it. Heck, the Yamaha importers in AUS even do half the mods before the bikes leave for the dealers. The KTM on the other hand, comes just about "ready to race" and a good dealer will set it up for you. The premium in cost you pay (if an issue) can be justified by some trick goodies on the kTM but the $ saved on the blue bike can be fun to spend on custom upgrades, via TT Store of course!
BTW, I heard/read there is big revision in the pipeline for 07 KTMs - DOHC and EFI are some being touted at the moment. Maybe even sort that linkage-less PDS rear shock, not that that is a problem. Less extreme upgrades are possibly expected on the 07 WR, just look to the 06YZ for clues.
All manufacturers make great 450s/400s these days, it really does boil down to individual preference. As an aside, its great that the mnaufacturers are competing for our $$ , we the consumer benefit from continual upgrades - the downside??...let me think.....
Cheers, my .02
Colin :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RC81

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:22 PM

Read this months Dirt Bike magazine. They tested all the 450s and threw in the KTM 400 as well. It may help. If I am not mistaken the WR came in second in hp (not that thats the end all) after the Husky.

• 426boy

Posted March 05, 2006 - 05:50 PM

if u dont mind the weight of the wr u should go with that i think that the wr is a little beter bike fer one cuz of parts avalability and there just overall good bikes

• dirzs

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Great thread! Good to see that I'm not alone.
I've been riding a DRZ400S for three years, and for 2 of those, a an old KTM300 to get a real dirt fix. I sold it because it was getting really beat. Now I am feeling the need for a "dirtier" dual sport, 'cause I only have room for couple of bikes, and I'm too much enjoying my VStrom.

The local debate has been around this very thread. And my bias was slightly favouring the KTM, but now....

PS_I think they rated the WR second to the 400KTM

:thumbsup:

• standup rider

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:47 PM

I read the recent Dirt Bike Shoot out between the WR450, CRF450X, Husky TE450, KTM 450XC & 400EXC. The 400EXC won this comparison mostly by how they said it felt 50 lbs. lighter then the rest of the bikes even though all the bikes are within 13 lbs of each other.
I love the power of my WR400 (Free mods done) but I do wish at times that it felt lighter, especially in the tight stuff. If I was to buy a new bike in the 4 stroke 400/450 class, I would have to consider how light it felt. That's my two cents worth.

• martymart

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I like my WR450 but the KTM makes incredible bikes for your average desert and trail rider like me. However, I can't complain about my bike except for the heavy weight feel on the slower tighter trails. I rode a 2005 KTM525EXC and WOW what a bike. That said, I'm keeping my WR450 and after the mods it's a great bike. Consider the price, service and parts availablility near your home.

• James_Dean

Posted March 05, 2006 - 11:54 PM

I read the recent Dirt Bike Shoot out between the WR450, CRF450X, Husky TE450, KTM 450XC & 400EXC. The 400EXC won this comparison mostly by how they said it felt 50 lbs. lighter then the rest of the bikes even though all the bikes are within 13 lbs of each other.
I love the power of my WR400 (Free mods done) but I do wish at times that it felt lighter, especially in the tight stuff. If I was to buy a new bike in the 4 stroke 400/450 class, I would have to consider how light it felt. That's my two cents worth.

\

I've ridden all the bikes listed and own a 450XC and CRF450X.
I'd aggree with the Dirt Bike magazine results. The 400EXC feels lighter and does everything well. In most conditions I rode just as fast (or faster) and was less tired as the day wore on.
The only drawback is if you want an adrenaline rush of power, the 450's have more to offer.

James

• GrahamO

Posted March 06, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I was at Anahiem a few weeks ago and watched 250's owning triples out of corners. They had just a few feet out of a U turn and were nailing them... could not believe it.

Considering the available power and the light weight, and that I prefer woods over balls out desert drag racing... I might trade in my 450 for a 250...

• Kepy

Posted March 06, 2006 - 12:00 PM

In my opinion :

WR's + : up to date engineering (DOHC e.g.), long maintenance periods(valve clearence e.g.), very forgiveing, beast (after mods)
EXC's + : ready to race without mods, 6th gear, hydraulic clutch

I would choose blue !

• Beejay

Posted March 06, 2006 - 03:48 PM

Although the KTM's are excellent bikes they are going to cost you a lot more in maintenance costs, if thats no problem then its a case of "pick a colour"

• santacruzr

Posted March 06, 2006 - 06:57 PM

What is going to cost more....oil, filters, plugs, tires,???? maybe engine work? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.