Cycra Pro Bend Handguard Mounting

11 replies to this topic
  • jbrooks26

Posted March 03, 2006 - 02:55 AM

Hey guys,

I am wanting to get a set of these on my 426 and was wondering what the general preference was for mounting hardware. I am leaning toward the triple clamp mount, but I wanted to get a few opinions on the differences. Who likes the tripple clamp mount, and if I order that one do I want the side or front mount? Thanks for the input guys.

Josh

• byggd

Posted March 03, 2006 - 04:26 AM

I used the bar mounts that came in the set. Unlike some brands they have a swivel point and worked great with my pro-tapers. There are some pictures in my garage if you want to take a look.

• ncampion

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:14 AM

I have the clamp mounts and they seem very strong although I have not really "tested" them yet. They won't allow the bar to twist like the bar mount may. The guys at BRP recommend the clamp mount. You don't have a choice as to side or front mount, it depends on your triple clamps, the Yam requires side mount.

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:47 AM

I run the triple clamp mounts on my dual sports mainly because it free's up some room on the bars for the roll chart, GPS, etc. I've crash tested mine a few times and they seem to hold up well.

• hankdog

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I'm running the triple clamp mounts (side mount) on my '05. I also went out and got some high quality bolts that were 1cm longer as the stock triple clamp bolts don't have enough length with the additional thickness of the cycra mounts.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:35 AM

Hey guys,

I am wanting to get a set of these on my 426 and was wondering what the general preference was for mounting hardware. I am leaning toward the triple clamp mount, but I wanted to get a few opinions on the differences. Who likes the tripple clamp mount, and if I order that one do I want the side or front mount? Thanks for the input guys.

Josh

I've had problems with the triple clamp mounts on my Cycra Pro Bends. The hand guard gets in the way of the front brake cable leaving no room for adjustment. The fix is to cut the locater pins on the banjo fitting that mounts the cable to the master cylinder, moving the cable out of the way from the hand guard. Personally, I think it's a poor design on their part. I'm surprised I don't hear more complaints about this. I had the Fastway FIT system on my KTM, the clamp mounts on the top bar clamp giving you all the room you need to adjust your levers any ole' way you want.. Much better design IMO.
I expect more for $120.00

Oh, and by the way.. You don't have a choice if you want use "front or side", it's all how your top clamp clamps are clamped on to your forks. I'm pretty sure that you have "Side" mounting top clamps on your YZ (stock). Front mounts would not work...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jerryls

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:41 AM

I use the clamp mounts and they are very solid. A little interference with the brake line as mentioned above, but I didn't have to make any modifications. If you use a high bend bar be prepared to do a some bending to get them positioned correctly.

Jerry

• GCannon

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:45 AM

I have the clamp mounts (side) with Brp Scotts sub mount I had to modify (grind) an angle on the right clamp mount to clear the brake hose not too big of a deal. However if I had to do it over I would seriously consider the NEW handle bar mount this piece clamps onto the handle bar (pro taper) next to the triple clamp bar mount and has a bar accross the front connecting the two handle bar clamps and the hand guards mount to this bar. the advantages of this system is the hand guards are in the correct position (to protect your hands) reguardless of what bar clamp damper setup you have or if you upgrade in the furture it still works. Right now with my bars so high ( from the sub mount system) my hand guards are low in front to meet the triple clamp mounts. the second choice would be the the swivel clamps that BYGGD uses this system is cheaper. swivel mounts will also keep the proper handguard positioning even if you upgrade triple clamps. :thumbsup:

• snakesausage

Posted March 03, 2006 - 04:32 PM

See my post, I had some fitment problems with the Cycra side triple mount racer pack. I added some pics and instructions on fitment. The WR450 is my first dirt bike so I have tested them (too much) while learning to ride and they hold up well.

http://www.thumperta...16&page=2&pp=10

• tony1970

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:39 PM

Go with the triple clamp mounts and Snakes ideas posted above. Works great and much better than the clamp mounts. :thumbsup:

• jbrooks26

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for all of the info guys, I will definately be looking into getting a set of these asap.

Josh

• briter

Posted March 04, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Basically, I think the Cycra triple clamp version of their brush busters stinks. I had to modify the front brake cable to fit. But my biggest complaint is that the overall height of the system is too low, my knuckles are constantly being hit by cactus, trees limbs and brush. I have abandoned the top bolt that fits to the pinch mount on the triple clamp to gain another approx half inch and still thay are too low. Cycra's original brush busters were great, ran them for years through many hard biffs and never bent a bar or lost a lever. These newer triple clamp mounts will only offer limited protection in a hard biff (you probably won't bend a bar, but the pinch point connectors will bend easily and they are expensive to replace. My opinion, go with the original bar-clamped Cycra. They are a little harder to mount, but overall I believe you will get better performance and be happier with your selection.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.