Chest protecter or not

86 replies to this topic
  • jkwithers

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:31 PM

Real quick. Does a chest protector provide protection during a crash or is it just for roost protection? I am riding baja soon and with a backpack and chest protector the straps dont fit right so I am thinking about going without. What do you think

Thanks

• HawkGT

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:42 PM

I always thought they were primarily for roost.

• Supplicate

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:53 PM

I ride with a sixsixone pressure suit which has a built in chest protector, instead of riding with a roost guard.

it also has some kick ass sown in elbow guards.

• thumper245

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:58 PM

I think that they are ment for roost but when you think about it, if you fall on a rock or something like that it will distribute the impact and possibly keep you from breaking your ribs or something like that. Just another idea to think about.

• motopainter

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:10 PM

Real quick wear one its much more than just roost protection in my opinion.

• creeky

Posted March 03, 2006 - 02:32 AM

When I first started trail riding in '84, my cousin, an accomplished motocross rider at the time, pushed me to buy a chest protector. I kept putting it off, and he gave me his old one when he bought a new one. Two rides later, I stuffed it in some tight woods and took a handlebar in the left rib cage. Were it not for the chest protector, I am sure that I would have sustained at least cracked ribs. As it was, there was only a bruise and some soreness. They are not just for roost.

• goodtogo

Posted March 03, 2006 - 02:38 AM

I wear a Thor Force chest protector & yes it does more than sheild you from the roost ... :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2006 - 03:58 AM

Dude, my buddy(CR500) and I(XR650R) trade off leading alot and I can tell you from personal experience they help with the boulders we chuck around. Furthermore mine has saved my bad and ribs on numerous occassions. I'd say you'd be foolish NOT to wear one.

• ewbish

Posted March 03, 2006 - 04:58 AM

Real quick. Does a chest protector provide protection during a crash or is it just for roost protection? I am riding baja soon and with a backpack and chest protector the straps dont fit right so I am thinking about going without. What do you think

Thanks

A standard plastic chest protector won't do squat in a real crash, it'll just break. They also move around to much to provide any protection. It's really good for nothing but roost. Some of the new stuff, like the 661 pressure suit I just bought my daughter, has a much higher level of protection, including spine armor and such. The way it's made, the armor doesn't move around, and it's a lot more robust than the cheap plastic on roost protectors. A pressure suit and kneck roll would provide a lot of protection. For your purposes though, I'd wear a jacket. For long rides like that, I wear a Field Shear jacket, water proof, wind proof, zip out vents for overheating, and kevlar armor in the back, shoulders, elbow, and kidney area. Plus the heavy shell stops cactus, and mesquite thorns with no problem.

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:06 AM

A standard plastic chest protector won't do squat in a real crash, it'll just break. They also move around to much to provide any protection. It's really good for nothing but roost.

Sorry but I disagree. W/in an hour of riding w/ 10 guys I could prove you wrong in so many aspects. My chest protector has saved my Irish ass so many times it's not funny. The "majority" of the time is roost deflection, I'll give you that but it does and can do more for you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Look for one with the suspension under the shoulder pads. They will protect you from a lot more than the occasion rock thrown your way.

• jkwithers

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:23 AM

Thanks Iam going to wear it eventhough it is uncomfortable

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:36 AM

It will be more uncomfortable w/ a broken back or ribs...

• ewbish

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:24 AM

Sorry but I disagree. W/in an hour of riding w/ 10 guys I could prove you wrong in so many aspects. My chest protector has saved my Irish ass so many times it's not funny. The "majority" of the time is roost deflection, I'll give you that but it does and can do more for you.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've been racing (MX,Desert) and riding for 32 years. I've yet to see a plastic chest protector prevent anything but roost injuries. Never. Think about it, do you really thing 3mm's of brittle plastic is stronger than a bone? Well, guess what, it's not. There is no way that brittle plastic even remotely protects your back or ribs. Now, in a slow speed tipover, it might keep you from getting bruised by a rock, but it is NOT going to prevent a fracture. Anybody wearing a plastic type chest protector and thinks they are protecting ribs (which they don't cover BTW) or their spine are simply not facing reality. Like I said, there is gear specifically made to protect in a crash, wear it and be safe. But don't think a product that is designed and advertised to stop roost is going to do anything more than that.

BTW, I work in an Xray dept. For years I've watched the aftermath of local races. Here's what I've seen:

Most femur fractures I've seen-person was wearing a knee brace (not guard, brace) and fracture occured in line with the top of the brace.

Most collar bone fractures I've seen-person was wearing a chest protector. Fracture was in line with reinforced top of chest guard, where lower part of helmet lines up if head is tilted down.

I've seen plenty of rib injuries with and without chest protectors, absolutely no relevance. Most roost deflectors don't even cover the ribs, and the ones that do only cover a small portion of them.

The knarliest crashes I've seen folks walk away from with no injuries they were wearing a foam or foam and kevlar pull on type chest and back protector (no plastic) or a pressure suit type system and a donut roll.

So, my last word on the subject. If you want protection from roost, wear a plastic type chest protector. If you want injury protection, buy gear designed for it. Hint: If the product says not designed to prevent injury in the event of a crash--guess what? It's not designed to prevent injury in the event of a crash.

The folks who say a roost guard will protect your spine and ribs are flat out wrong, and dangerously so.

You can bet when I ride Baja, it will be with either my Field Shear or my pressure suit, if you want to wear plastic, by all means do so, just don't think it's going to save you in a real crash.

• roadcam

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:46 AM

not to brag .... but, as a " leading Expert on crashing motorsickles ", I must say the chest protector helps prevent many injuries from being more serious ... I know what Im talking about, ... hell , I usually fall down while putting on my boots, not to mention what happens once Im on my bike ... besides, the chest protector helps keep my belly off my tank ... :thumbsup:

• Desertskyy

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:51 AM

For your purposes though, I'd wear a jacket. For long rides like that, I wear a Field Shear jacket, water proof, wind proof, zip out vents for overheating, and kevlar armor in the back, shoulders, elbow, and kidney area. Plus the heavy shell stops cactus, and mesquite thorns with no problem.

I and all my riding buddies wear riding jackets. Sometimes they can get a little warm when out in the Dez but over all they are worth it. We mostly wear the Joe Rocket Ballistic 3.0, 4.0 3/4 length jackets. They have a lot of protection. I went over my bars at about 40mph in a rock garden last June. Broke the knob off my stabilizer when my chest hit down. I was not injured and was able to get up, restart my bike and proceed on our ride.

I do think a chest protector does more than just protect from roost

• ghoti

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:03 AM

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've been racing (MX,Desert) and riding for 32 years. I've yet to see a plastic chest protector prevent anything but roost injuries. Never. Think about it, do you really thing 3mm's of brittle plastic is stronger than a bone? Well, guess what, it's not. There is no way that brittle plastic even remotely protects your back or ribs. Now, in a slow speed tipover, it might keep you from getting bruised by a rock, but it is NOT going to prevent a fracture. Anybody wearing a plastic type chest protector and thinks they are protecting ribs (which they don't cover BTW) or their spine are simply not facing reality. Like I said, there is gear specifically made to protect in a crash, wear it and be safe. But don't think a product that is designed and advertised to stop roost is going to do anything more than that.

BTW, I work in an Xray dept. For years I've watched the aftermath of local races. Here's what I've seen:

Most femur fractures I've seen-person was wearing a knee brace (not guard, brace) and fracture occured in line with the top of the brace.

Most collar bone fractures I've seen-person was wearing a chest protector. Fracture was in line with reinforced top of chest guard, where lower part of helmet lines up if head is tilted down.

I've seen plenty of rib injuries with and without chest protectors, absolutely no relevance. Most roost deflectors don't even cover the ribs, and the ones that do only cover a small portion of them.

The knarliest crashes I've seen folks walk away from with no injuries they were wearing a foam or foam and kevlar pull on type chest and back protector (no plastic) or a pressure suit type system and a donut roll.

So, my last word on the subject. If you want protection from roost, wear a plastic type chest protector. If you want injury protection, buy gear designed for it. Hint: If the product says not designed to prevent injury in the event of a crash--guess what? It's not designed to prevent injury in the event of a crash.

The folks who say a roost guard will protect your spine and ribs are flat out wrong, and dangerously so.

You can bet when I ride Baja, it will be with either my Field Shear or my pressure suit, if you want to wear plastic, by all means do so, just don't think it's going to save you in a real crash.

So...you get roosted in the back alot?

• TimBrp

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:08 AM

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I've been racing (MX,Desert) and riding for 32 years. I've yet to see a plastic chest protector prevent anything but roost injuries. Never.

I'm glad we could agree on something. Your experience shines for sure. However, the reason you probably don't see many injuries in your X-ray setting is in light of the fact most guys wear them. IMO-to state that not wearing one will shed the same benefits as not(which is pretty much what you're saying) just screams ignorance to me. For example a member who doesn't frequent this site anymore, DDH, posted a pic of what his chest/back protector did to him in a crash. He thanks his lucky starts he was wearing one because if not he'd probably of broken his back, badly. Instead of the plastic taking the hit, his back would've. Heres the pic I found:

Posted Image

I'm going to also take the type of riding you do into account. Here in New England our single track is rooty, muddy and very rocky. I can't count the times I'd prefer to feel a plastic guard in my back vs. a sharp rock. And no, a jacket wouldn't of helped. I personally feel that they are cheap insurance for what "could be" a bad injury. As roadcam said, you can keep your professional experience, as I crash alot because I constantly push that line and I would never ride w/out one.

I definitely agree that there are better forms of protection, but if you can only afford the chest protector, get it, you'll be glad you did.

• HC

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:25 AM

there is a big diff between chest protectors, in recent years they have become lighter weight overall. some do not have much more protection then a foam jofa ( that is the first CP, from around '69 or something) . They are not all alike, the most heavy duty the shoulder caps rest on other plastic which distribute the impact.
I have a old Hallman ( now Thor) Pro Armour , chest/back protector. no longer made, its a little bulky compared to anything new. Trust me Ewbish, this is not just crash tested, its violent crash tested. It has also kept me from being impaled from dead downed timber. something a pressure suit would only slow, if hit in the wrong place. This is a heavy duty protector. I switched to this from a early Fox protector, which is much like in coverage the CP's sold today. the Pro armour provided much better crash protection.
and if you really want to know, 38 years of riding.
I dont doubt that pressure suits help, and be better then the tiny MX roost protectors, I would like to see more feed back on them. A shootout would be great, problem is, no one makes anything like the hallman pro armour anymore.

hhmm, w/ knee brace...broken femur ( usually means shock) or w/o ...destroyed knee, now there's a choice.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Buddy of mine figures his chest protector saved him big-time.
In a crash he took a bar end to the guts.

The protector kept it from punching a hole in his chest.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.