GPS Mounts

8 replies to this topic
  • dukeryder

Posted March 02, 2006 - 04:58 PM

What's up everyone; seen alot of GPS talk lately on everybike forum I visit. I thought a GPS on a bike was stupid, just get a map right? Well after riding 350miles in the backwoods of LA this weekend (paved mostly and a little dirt), I found stopping and pulling the map out every so often definetly SUCKS! One of the locals I met up with had the nice RAM mount on his BMW GS, but was wondering if anyone on here had any other "Creative" mounts on thier XRLs or Rs. Right now it doesn't seem like I have any room on my bars for any kind of mounts except for the cross bar (I have Pro-Taper SE bars).

Lets see some pics!

• johnnyonthegas

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:38 PM

try here

http://www.aerostich...-p-1-c-339.html

• XR_Daron

Posted March 02, 2006 - 10:00 PM

I've had one from Innovative Design Concepts for about 7 years, since the eTrex came out. Here's contact information, but I don't know if they are still in business.

Innovative Design Concepts
35404 Acacia
Yucaipa, CA 92399
Phone: (909) 228-5353
Email:inovative1@aol.com

Once you start using the GPS, check out www.Topographs.com for mapping and sharing your maps on the net.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:05 AM

www.cycoactive.com I use the touratech mount with a garmin V

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 03, 2006 - 11:22 AM

See the other GPS thread by hill5150, too.

Here.

• HawkGT

Posted March 03, 2006 - 11:25 AM

This works well for me. It's a Garmin Fortrex 101 with a Garmin mount. I love the tiny size and it's VERY easy on the wallet compared to the alternatives. Only real downside I've found is it doesn't have any onboard maps. Mostly I just match up the shape of my track with a small paper map (I make my own using Google Maps images) to figure out were I'm at. Most rides I don't even bother doing that.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Before I got the mount, I just used the supplied wrist strap to mount to my crossbar pad. That worked really well (and there's tons of vibration damping). I switched over to the Garmin mount because it's faster for taking it on and off the bike (think: running into the store) and cause I've got the bar clamp portion of the mount on other bikes. Easy and fast to swap around.

Posted Image

• Docmarkw

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:43 PM

I could of bought a ram mount or something fancy, but I chose to be different (cheap). I fabricated a piece of aluminum and made my GPS holder and mounted it onto my crossbar using the hardware to a enduro jug.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I lined the bottom and back of the gps with Velcro and use a couple of Velcro straps to wrap around the gps. Probably have 4000 miles with this set up and have never had an issue.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:18 PM

I could of bought a ram mount or something fancy, but I chose to be different (cheap). I fabricated a piece of aluminum and made my GPS holder and mounted it onto my crossbar using the hardware to a enduro jug.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I lined the bottom and back of the gps with Velcro and use a couple of Velcro straps to wrap around the gps. Probably have 4000 miles with this set up and have never had an issue.

Hey, innovative & inexpensive are sometimes the best options. :thumbsup:

• dukeryder

Posted March 04, 2006 - 09:33 AM

That's exactly the type of set-up I was looking for! One of the sites had some pretty inexpensive premade stuff so I'll probably end up going that route but that's a nice job Mark!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.