Street Legal

15 replies to this topic
  • Yamaster

Posted March 02, 2006 - 02:29 PM

I have an 05 WR450 and was thinking about making it street legal for my senor project and then taking it down to Arizona with me when I go to MMI. Can anyone give me an estimate on the cost of making it street legal here in Cali? Any help would be helpful.

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 02, 2006 - 02:56 PM

The cost of parts is probably around $100 - $150 depending in how serious you get (lights, switch, horn, etc.) if you build your own kit. Without starting a big debate let me just say that getting a plate on it in California may not be an easy thing to do. Best to wait until you get to Arizona where the laws are much less restrictive as far as DS conversions are concerned.

• Yamaster

Posted March 02, 2006 - 03:05 PM

thanks for the info pbdblue. Maybe I'll just pump up the motor on it or something instead.

• 2tall2tall

Posted March 02, 2006 - 03:40 PM

Here in AZ it is super easy to get a plate. Stoplight, mirror, and a horn or bell to be legal.

• Matty05

Posted March 02, 2006 - 04:58 PM

That must be the one thing that we have it over you guys in the USA.

All our enduro bikes are street legal off the show room floor. I think it is because the manufacturers don't bother over there because of the EPA laws. :thumbsup:

• joshbeene

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:46 PM

The only difference in street legaling here in CA and AZ is the blinkers, horn, and high beam requirement. In AZ yo don't need all that, and here you do. So I would wait to go to AZ because I hate blinkers. I have a 05 WR450 Street legal in CA and it is okay on the street but does not like to run in the same RPMs for a long time. I did not put blinkers on my WR450 and I was able to sneak one by the DMV.

The WR comes with a dual filiment bulb in the tailight which makes it very easy to hook up a brake light. The wire to hook up the brake light is under the seat. Just put in a hydrolic swithc in the rear and hook it up the the wire that is under the seat.

• byggd

Posted March 03, 2006 - 04:43 AM

Wait until you go to AZ. The republic of CA makes it a pain in the a$$ to get plated :thumbsup:

• Yamaster

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:29 AM

I still might try it just to go putting into town or riding down to some trails. I've already been chased 3 times for riding on the road and got a ticket when I was 13 for riding on the road. Now I just say screw the cops and run, but I'd rather just be street legal. I ride the railroad tracks and crossing roads are almost inevitable (hope I spelled that right).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GOTWHEELS

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:17 AM

[quote name='joshbeene']The only difference in street legaling here in CA and AZ is the blinkers, horn, and high beam requirement. In AZ yo don't need all that, and here you do. So I would wait to go to AZ because I hate blinkers. I have a 05 WR450 Street legal in CA and it is okay on the street but does not like to run in the same RPMs for a long time. I did not put blinkers on my WR450 and I was able to sneak one by the DMV.

How did you make it street legal? I'm very close to getting A wr450 and would very much like to make it srteet legal, I also live in california.

• crooks420

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:20 PM

AAhhhhhh, the old "plating in california" question....... I am in the same boat: people claim to have done it, but most people and dealers say it cant be done anymore. So what is the big secret??? Does it just come down to luck at the DMV?

Jesse

• tfitzgerald2

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:47 PM

As of Jan of this year, California is no longer approving off road machines mod'ed to meet street requirements. Baja Design made such kits but pricey $400. But no longer in Calif!!

• AnimalDan

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:56 PM

I just plated a TT-R250 in California with a Baja Designs kit. It is possible with a green sticker machine only and the hoops are a little tricker now, but it is legal to do.

• svracer

Posted March 04, 2006 - 03:54 PM

I've got an '03 WR that is registered in CO (yes, very easy to do). HOwever, I'm moving to N. California in June... will it be easier to register in CA since it's already registered in CO? Or should I be considering a DRZ???

• BNutZ

Posted March 04, 2006 - 03:57 PM

So what was the trick? I just got the title to my 05 WR450 and am planning to "roll the dice" at California DMV to try and get a plate..... any and all info you can provide in advance would be appreciated!

• tfitzgerald2

Posted March 05, 2006 - 02:01 PM

As of 1 Jan06 you can't makem legal any more in Calif. DMV will not liscense dirt to road any more. Those already approved are grandfathered.

• lbxr

Posted March 05, 2006 - 10:30 PM

AAhhhhhh, the old "plating in california" question....... I am in the same boat: people claim to have done it, but most people and dealers say it cant be done anymore. So what is the big secret??? Does it just come down to luck at the DMV?

Jesse

Luck it is...I just got a plate for my wr450 and the clerk who inspected it checked the wrong box for the emissions...Otherwise it would have not worked. You could always keep trying til someone screws up like on mine. If you can steer the dmv clerk's expectations just prior to the inspection they might see the offroad only emissions sticker and assume it is the "meets Ca and US emissions standards for ON ROAD use" :thumbsup: Of course to do this the bike ought to look like a streetbike- clean and shiny/ turn signals/ possibly no nobbies/ a couple of big mirrors. Another thing that may have helped was mine was tied down on a flat bed trailer and the emissions sticker was mostly obscured by the back part of the front fender...I had to bend the fender to the side(with some difficulty) so she could see it. She saw the sticker and assumed it was for "on road" use. Of course I had her expecting to see that and I was dam lucky :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.