The Fastest DS ever

13 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:17 AM

Is it possible that the XR650L (to me anyway) is the fastest DS ever built. What is the overall HP stock and then uncorked completey, I took her out for a quick spin yesterday afternoon after work and man, it sure seems powerful to me! maybe I am just easily impressed. Further IF this is "old technology" air cooled 4 stroke, much like my lil XR250R and that too impresses me! then the new CRF's 250 / 450 must be rockets! I would also think that the XR650R is fast on it's feet as compared to the XR650L - due to lighter weight and some improved technology in the motor.

Going up my driveway again last night I dialed it on in 2nd at maybe 20something MPH and the front end lofts and I wheelied like I knew what I was doing LOL :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted March 02, 2006 - 07:08 AM

Is it possible that the XR650L (to me anyway) is the fastest DS ever built. What is the overall HP stock and then uncorked completey, I took her out for a quick spin yesterday afternoon after work and man, it sure seems powerful to me! maybe I am just easily impressed. Further IF this is "old technology" air cooled 4 stroke, much like my lil XR250R and that too impresses me! then the new CRF's 250 / 450 must be rockets! I would also think that the XR650R is fast on it's feet as compared to the XR650L - due to lighter weight and some improved technology in the motor.

Going up my driveway again last night I dialed it on in 2nd at maybe 20something MPH and the front end lofts and I wheelied like I knew what I was doing LOL :thumbsup:

That feeling of the L being fast is mostly yours and yours alone. The horse power of an XRL is about 33hp.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 02, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Not even close, while it is a fantastic motorcycle it does not hold a candle to anything currently available over 400CCs and watercooled except maybe a KLR650.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:18 AM

Yup, That was what I was thinkin too - that a new CRF450X must be just awesome, as are alot of other new bikes I have been reading about in Dirt Bike magazine.

Please understand that I have been riding mostly the old vintage XL's of yesteryear - as per my signature line. I always wanted a XR650L and just bought one last year, granted it is a dated design now, but to me it is the technological latest as compared to my stable of old vinatge XL's and therefore to me alone it feels very fast, handles great etc. I think that Mr. Know it all said it best in the last issue of DB when asked about an XR650L, "that bike was designed to General Grant's Train".

It may be dated in design - but like my old XL's of over 3 decades of age, they still run, are bulletproof in design and a ball to ride.

• obgod3

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:23 AM

I just watched a new 450X get pasted by a XR650R out on a beach in Baja...no contest, the 450X tops out at about 80-86 mph.

• wickedsprint

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:34 AM

It may be dated in design - but like my old XL's of over 3 decades of age, they still run, are bulletproof in design and a ball to ride.

Sadly save for both of the 650 models they stopped making them this way, I wish they still made the XR600. If you get a chance to try out an uncorked and properly jetted 650R, they are an animal.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:34 AM

Hey obgod3 I am US Navy Retired. Gave em 30 years, retired as an 0-4, (LCDR) started out as an E-1 and went through the ranks, with alot of hard work and by the grace of God... I was an Aviation Maintenance Officer. Now I work at Boeing here in Seattle on the F-22 program.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:55 AM

I have 3 letters for you... KTM

My riding buddy used to have a XR650L, with several of the go fast mods. He basically destroyed that bike and in 97 he replaced it with a street legal KTM 620 LC4. Totally smoked the 650L in every department except it weighed a bit more. Way more power, better suspension, etc...

• wickedsprint

Posted March 02, 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hey obgod3 I am US Navy Retired. Gave em 30 years, retired as an 0-4, (LCDR) started out as an E-1 and went through the ranks, with alot of hard work and by the grace of God... I was an Aviation Maintenance Officer. Now I work at Boeing here in Seattle on the F-22 program.

Let me be one of the many to adress you as "Sir", I am just a lowly 0-2, pin on Captain in May though :thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted March 02, 2006 - 12:51 PM

Congrats on your selection and promotion to Captain! the fun starts at the railroad track level. (two bars) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• wickedsprint

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Congrats on your selection and promotion to Captain! the fun starts at the railroad track level. (two bars) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey thanks, not to mention the nice pay raise :bonk:

• Motosprtman

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:58 AM

OH yea, that is one of the best one's for pay purposes!

• roadcam

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:50 AM

I have 3 letters for you... KTM

My riding buddy used to have a XR650L, with several of the go fast mods. He basically destroyed that bike and in 97 he replaced it with a street legal KTM 620 LC4. Totally smoked the 650L in every department except it weighed a bit more. Way more power, better suspension, etc...

you left out " way more breakdowns, way more repairs, more waiting for parts, more looking for dealers "..... a high cost to pay for some orange paint ... :thumbsup:

• dukeryder

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:12 PM

XRL might be slow and old skool compared to the KTM; but the motor is WAY smoother than an LC4 (I've ridden both bikes). The XRL is pretty bomb proof; I wouldn't say the KTM is going to have WAY more break downs, but maintance is a little more of a PITA, and parts cost a bit more, but I don't think a KTM is really "unreliable".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.