Maxxis IT or desert IT rear tyre?

10 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted March 01, 2006 - 10:27 PM

What is the difference between the two? Does the desert IT just have a stiffer carcass?

Who has tried both?

I have been reading good things about them, I might try one. I am a little worried about getting any tyre other than a Dunlop 952 as they last so long and are really awesome in all conditions.

How do they compare to the 952?

Tyres cost about the same here in Australia, so price is not a factor at all.

• swatcie

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:01 PM

I always go with maxis IT I ride mostly desert and it seems like it lasts longer than my friends donlap, but I dont think it will make that much of a difference.

• ArizonaThumper

Posted March 02, 2006 - 04:57 AM

I have a desert IT on order right now can't wait till it gets here heard lot's of good things about it.

• Humunn

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:46 AM

I just ran Baja on a brand new set of Maxxis Desert ITs. After 700 miles very little wear. There were other bikes at Mike's sky ranch that had the ITs and the knobs were chunking. The Desert ITs are very stiff and the rubber compound is hard. The ITs are softer.

• steve lemley

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:06 AM

get the Desert ITS, I will never buy another tire. This is tire heaven. I have over 500 miles on mine and 30% being street not even a tear or chunk or rounded edge and the traction is unreal!!!!!!!!! I RIDE NASTY HARD ROCKY CRAP AND DEEP SANDY DESERT STUFF AND ITS HOLDING UP UNREAL. ONLY TIRE IN THE UNIVERSE IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Humunn

Posted March 02, 2006 - 11:08 AM

get the Desert ITS, I will never buy another tire. This is tire heaven. I have over 500 miles on mine and 30% being street not even a tear or chunk or rounded edge and the traction is unreal!!!!!!!!! I RIDE NASTY HARD ROCKY CRAP AND DEEP SANDY DESERT STUFF AND ITS HOLDING UP UNREAL. ONLY TIRE IN THE UNIVERSE IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!

I concur completely. I have over 700 on mine also with 30% pavement. And for less than $100 you get two NOT ONE new tires.

• steve lemley

Posted March 02, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I got my set from rockymountain for 91 bucks to the door including shipping:).

• Matty05

Posted March 02, 2006 - 11:41 PM

That's how I feel about the 952's! Oh well, I might have to get one of each and swap rims to see which one is best for me.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 02, 2006 - 11:54 PM

If you're getting a new rim to go with it, maybe step up to a 2.15 since the Dez IT only comes in 110/100 and 120/100.

• Matty05

Posted March 03, 2006 - 12:00 AM

I'm not going to get any new rims, I've got two bikes!

• steve lemley

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Good idea, try um both and report please because I dont think there is a better tire but if there is i want it on my bike to so let us know!!!!!!!!!! Thanks :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.