Maxxis M6006

5 replies to this topic
  • Fio

Posted March 01, 2006 - 09:46 PM

Has anyone tried a Maxxis M6006 140/80x18 on a 650L? Will it fit? Or should I just go with a 130/80x18? :thumbsup:

• husky123

Posted March 02, 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have. Yes the 140 will fit. It's a pretty good 50/50 tire.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted March 02, 2006 - 05:27 PM

It looks like a good 50/50. I am going to mount some on my 650r. i ride 50%on-road. Anyone that has used it, does it get traction on grass or anything? And hows the wear?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grreatdog

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:54 PM

I have run MT21's for a long, long time so that is all I really have for comparison. My current XL600R had a brand new 6006 on the rear when I bought it and a worn out death wing on the front. So I stuck another 6006 on the front. This is my take:

The rear is almost a full knobby but with a more round carcass. You don't give up much offroad traction out back compared to a MT21 but gain a little more pavement corner carving ability. Overall the MT21 was definitely better offroad and the 6006 is definitely better on road. So 50/50 it is.

The front isn't nearly as good offroad as a MT21 but it is 10,000 times better than a death wing. It is a pretty good compromise street tire with a decent ride and a round carcass for cornering with reasonable braking ability. Giving up a bit offroad doesn't bother me much on the front because it ain't like I plan on late braking this beast into a berm and carving my way past kids on MX bikes. Besides I did an asphalt face plant in the rain a couple of years ago on MT21. So, in other words, it is a good 50/50 choice for Big Red.

Traction on grass? I don't know because I treat grass like ice. But not many tires short of a soft terrain knobby work on grass. The longest slide of my life was a 75mph get off on wet grass - with knobbies. I would rather ride on ice.

Wear seems pretty good so far but not many miles yet since it is winter.

• Fio

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys :thumbsup: Now I just have to find some one who carries the 140 size here in SO CAL. :thumbsup:

• Jayzonk

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:33 PM

I talked to a guy that runs Kenda D270's and loves them both on and off the road. They're cheap, compared to some of the other tires out there - $32-$35 per tire, abouts, after converting from Canuck currency.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.