Going to the dark (orange) side; 450 is sold!

11 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:25 AM

So I made the decision and now I"m commited! Sold the 05 WR450, and I just picked up an 05 300exc. Hopefully I made the right decision... For me, 30" inseam and 160#, the WR was just TOO dang top heavy. I can only hope that the katoom treats me as well as the last 3 WR's I've had; not ONE problem on any of them, ever!

In any case, if any of you are looking, I'm selling a LOT of my extra stuff. Rekluse, extra front and rear wheels, FMF header, 2 FMF mufflers, Barnum air cover, Quickshot, and a crapload of extra parts (oil filters, spark plugs, etc).

Drop on in if you're interested in any of it:

http://www.thumperta...p?product=10666

And THANKS to all of you for all the help with the WR; I"ve gotta say Indy's jetting spreadsheet was invaluable!

• Fizz

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:48 AM

well ... dont know to much about KTM 2 stroke machines, but two guys i know (not very close, the kind you talk to once in a while) bought new 4 stroke KTM, and they had nothing but trouble .... one of them competed, and went KTM because of the cheap price the bike and the spare parts , the other just rides for fun ....

the one who raced his KTM said that the "KTM season" was the most expensive one he ever had, and the amateur guy took his engine apart 4 times on the first 40 hours ...

so .. good luck! :thumbsup:

• kincade

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:57 AM

Man; he went to KTM because of the cheap price of the bike? I've never heard that one before! Was this an OLD ktm? 90's? They're certainly not the cheapest out there now...

I think it will be good! If not, it's only a bike I suppose. Yamaha sure has treated me well though! If they made a wide ratio 5 speed, YZ 450, without the weight of the WR I'd be on it like a fly on poop! But it seems that Yamaha doesn't look at the off road/enduro market like KTM does... (exc, mxc, etc).

We'll see; keeping my fingers crossed!

• Fizz

Posted March 01, 2006 - 12:46 PM

i think KTM made an effort to put out a lot of bikes on the tracks/trailsat that time, so they had real good price ... think they both were 2003 or 2004 bikes ...

now-a-days they have about the same price ... a brand new 300 EXC will set you back $9000 over here ...

• RD73

Posted March 01, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Good luck!

Just wondering, why did you decide to go with the 300 vs. the 450 (i.e. why go two stroke)?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 01, 2006 - 12:48 PM

If I was a woods only rider the KTM300 would be in my garage! And I do want one anyway for woods riding :thumbsup: There is no better choice in my opinion

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted March 01, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Man; he went to KTM because of the cheap price of the bike? I've never heard that one before! Was this an OLD ktm? 90's? They're certainly not the cheapest out there now...

I think it will be good! If not, it's only a bike I suppose. Yamaha sure has treated me well though! If they made a wide ratio 5 speed, YZ 450, without the weight of the WR I'd be on it like a fly on poop! But it seems that Yamaha doesn't look at the off road/enduro market like KTM does... (exc, mxc, etc).

We'll see; keeping my fingers crossed!

You know, for just about the same price as a KTM (maybe even slightly cheaper) you can get an YZ and swap the tranny out for a WR tranny. I think the whole swap puts you back 5-700 bucks. Considering the reliability of the Yammies, you would make up that extra up front cost with longevity. That would be my ideal weapon for what you're looking for.

• PK

Posted March 01, 2006 - 01:27 PM

We had a KTM 200EXC and it was a great bike. The 2 stroke motors are bulletproof and definitely lighter than the WR you sold. If I rode as much in the woods as I would like, then I would really love to have the 300EXC in addition to the 450. Great power, great engine, great woods bike. Congrats and I hope you really enjoy it. I had a CR250 2 stroke for a while and I really liked it out in the woods and on slower tracks.

Butta, I got my 06 450 yesterday. Goin to Cycleranch tomorrow, interested?

• kincade

Posted March 01, 2006 - 01:34 PM

Fizz; WOW, that's a lot of $$$ for a bike over there! How do the YZ/WR450's compare?

RD; I wanted a lot less weight; and the way to get that was via the 2stroke. 224# ready to ride less gas, as opposed to the 250# less gas on the EXC 4 stroke; and the piggy 264# less gas on the WR. It has near the bottom end of the WR, with about the same mid, and more top end.

Butta; I thought about that. But I simply don't have the TIME to do it right now, and it seemed like an unproved mod so far. Not many have the miles on the tranny to prove the longevity to me... I think maybe that'll be my next bike, assuming that Yamaha doesn't come out with something different...

• Fizz

Posted March 01, 2006 - 01:50 PM

kincade<- well, theyre a few hundred bucks more ... like 9300-9600 dollars ...

its because the dollar is a bit weak against the swedish crown now-a-days, you get ~8 sek for $1 ... for a few years ago it was almost 11 sek for a buck ....

• markit

Posted March 01, 2006 - 03:22 PM

The good thing about the KTM RFS and the 400 is the only one to get, is that it is under 40 HP, anything over this power in the woods is going to work aganst you. Ive had a 03 450 and now a 06 400 and find them at least as bullet proof as my 99YZF so all this maintnance and repair cost is just BS.
The only reason i race my KTMs over the YZFs is the KTM are more off road
orenented. The 300s a great 2t, you have to be smooth to race a 4t and maintain corner speed, most the folk that go to the 4ts and end up going back to the 2ts just dont like to carry corner speed.

• kincade

Posted March 01, 2006 - 03:29 PM

Funny thing is that I never really rode a 2t; I've always rode 4 strokes! The 2t thing to me is totally new. I dig it so far though...

Other than the premixing of gas. That blows. No big deal, but it still blows. ;-)

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.