Pro's and Con's of 4 vs 2 strokes??

8 replies to this topic
  • Bertgamble2001

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:44 PM

I am going to buy a bike next week. It is either going to be a YZ250 or a YZ450F. I have no idea which. Can you guys please help me out. I have heard so much negative about both. @ stroke guys think 4 strokes suck, and vice versa. Please give me some objective feedback.

I am 43, with some off road experience. I had a YZ125 10 or so years ago and liked it a lot. Thought it needed a bit more low end power. I plan to ride mostly on a track, but most likely will not race. If I do, I can't see myself going too hard, just trying not to come in last every time.

Thank you
Bert

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 28, 2006 - 11:12 PM

I am going to buy a bike next week. It is either going to be a YZ250 or a YZ450F. I have no idea which. Can you guys please help me out. I have heard so much negative about both. @ stroke guys think 4 strokes suck, and vice versa. Please give me some objective feedback.

I am 43, with some off road experience. I had a YZ125 10 or so years ago and liked it a lot. Thought it needed a bit more low end power. I plan to ride mostly on a track, but most likely will not race. If I do, I can't see myself going too hard, just trying not to come in last every time.

Thank you
Bert

Bert,
2 strokes are almost dead. Look around at all the supercross and motocross riders and what are they riding? The power delivery that you are describing sounds exactly like a 4 stroke. I just sold my 05 YZ 250 and bought an 06 YZ450f and the difference is unbelievable. It almost seems like cheating. No premixing is nice too. Good luck in your racing.

• DRH

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:18 AM

Wow! how nice it is to make that choice. My son and I discussed this very question for weeks. He was going to get the YZ250, he was tired of working on the 4 strokes. He didn't want to mess with fuel screws and jetting and valves and shims and all the other tinkering required. He wanted to gas and go. Well he made his purchased and is very happy. Now he has to buy more shims and an extended fuel screw. He came home with the 450. He has this grin on his face that just wont go away. Hey I least I got my YZ 400 back though battered and beaten but not dead.... Thats him, for me, I might have made the other choice. Reason! I ride the 250 for a season. During the off season I rebuild the 250 installing Athena big bore kit. I close the gap on my wise ass kid, and with a little luck and a lot less weight, I just might sneak buy him on the inside.

• bg10459

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:42 AM

4 strokes are very durable, but the cost of a rebuild, should you need it, is comparitively expensive. Working on the 4 stroke is harder, due to more components.
2 strokes need more attention, but the cost of a rebuild, which you will need, is comparitively cheap. Working on a 2 stroke is easy.
4 strokes make lots of torque at low RPM. you can lug it all day. This may contribute to longer engine life.
2 strokes make their power at higher RPM. You'll need to keep the revs up to make it up that hill.
4 strokes use straight gas, whereas you will need premix for 2 strokes.
2 strokes generally feel lighter than 4 strokes, making them more nimble.
2 strokes have better throttle response, but because 4 strokes make so much power down low, that may not be an issue.
All that said, I loved my 2 stroke Husky 360. It did everything I ever asked of it. Tons of power, light, manueverable,... and durable (years of abuse on the same piston & rings). But it finally failed when I needed it most, so I went the bullet proof route and got the WR450. This bike does everything I ask of it as well, plus e start. Sometimes I do miss the snap (and sound) of the 2 stroke, but I forget that quickly on the WR.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ4fiddy

Posted March 01, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I currently own two four strokes and one two stroke and I find myself going back and forth. The suspension is so good on the new bikes that they are all a lot easier to ride. Actually the new YZ125 is an amazingly fun bike, it might lack a little down low compared to it's 4-stroke counterpart, but I guarantee you it is just as fun! (that's why we ride right?) My only suggestion would be if you go 2-stroke, stay with a Yamaha or Suzuki, both have awesome suspension and matching motors.

• RD73

Posted March 01, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I have heard so much negative about both.

I had a YZ125 10 or so years ago and liked it a lot. Thought it needed a bit more low end power.

Don't listen to all the negative stuff. Both are great bikes and you'll enjoy either one. :thumbsup:

With that said, you also mentioned that you liked your YZ125, but thought it needed a bit more low end power. Well, the YZ450F will have a lot more power all across the power band! :thumbsup:

The YZ250 will have more than the 125 on bottom but a ton on top. Have you considered the YZ250F? It seems to fit what you have described.

With all the differences in maintenance aside, the decision between a two and four stroke really comes down to personal preference. I find that four strokes are easier to ride with smoother power delivery and more bottom, which allows me to get lazier with the shifter. Two strokes are going to be a little bit lighter and to some riders that makes a big difference.

• NYMXer

Posted March 01, 2006 - 02:41 PM

having both, I can tell you that the YZ250 is faster but it takes more effort to ride it fast. This year, I went the 450 route. It is almost boring compared to the 250. I am faster on the 450 but it isn't as much fun nor as much of a work out. I am glad I kept my 250 for those days I feel 27 rather than 47!
If you want the workout, go 250. Any other reason, go 450.

• markit

Posted March 01, 2006 - 03:36 PM

I think more than anything it ends up being your decisison, as aposed to whats better ask yourself what fits my style. If your more of a smooth and maintain your speed through the corners you will likely be more happy on the 4t, if you like to break in and gass out you will likely want the 2t. There both fun and good bikes.

• CTinCT

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Do yourself a favor and ride them both. I have both, but just can't seem to get into the 4-stroke thing. I've never been much of a crasher but I seem to get off the 4-stroke often. Some get-offs have been ugly. It doesn't react quick enough or something. The new 450 looks awesome but I bought an 06 YZ250. The bike rips.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.