Canadian WR450

7 replies to this topic
  • MJScore

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Does anyone know on what is required to register a 06 WR450 from Canada in California? Will it be a green sticker bike? Or because they don't have the smog stuff on will it be a res sticker bike.

• Gadsen

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:49 PM

Does anyone know on what is required to register a 06 WR450 from Canada in California? Will it be a green sticker bike? Or because they don't have the smog stuff on will it be a res sticker bike.

The VIN will be green, and you will need to buy is used (even if its new, you must have a title, not an MSO) and there was one user (BIGMATT I think) who was from Cally and we both bought 04 WR450's the same time. He did get green on his. I dont live in Cally, so it want that big if a deal, but my VIN is green in cally too.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted March 01, 2006 - 06:22 AM

Or because they don't have the smog stuff on will it be a res sticker bike.

As far as I know, '05+ WR's in Canada have the AIS, if that is what you are referring to as "smog stuff".

• MJScore

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:47 AM

From what I understand it means that they have the YZ throttle stop, no grey wire and the standard baffle. I maybe wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:06 PM

The Canadian VIN will not have a "3" or a "C" in the eighth position which is good, but it will probably have NO federal emissions sticker on it. That could be an issue during the reg process.

Several of us here on TT have managed to get our Canadian bikes in the CA system.
Seems like it all boils down to how knowledgeable the DMV clerk is when you go in with your paperwork. Or how they interpret the rules and regulations.

• Bamster

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:55 PM

From what I have seen the Canadian bikes are now the same as what you guys get in the US. Even the throttle stop and the AIS.

• tecate

Posted March 02, 2006 - 11:03 AM

Be careful, I tried that route back in 2002 with a crf450, you know to try and save some money. So I took it to my local DMV, all they wanted to see was that the engine I.D. # was the same as the one on the title. So I received a green sticker. I was stoked at the time because in the states it was red sticker only. Once the Sacramento Head Office received it they sent it all back and said it did not meet California emissions, therefore I could not register nor could I receive a California title (pink slip). I contacted SAC. they ran the V.I.N. and said it was a Canadian Import (black market). To end the story somewhat short, It could never be registered in CA. So I sold it and lost money. For what it's worth that's my story. All I am saying is do your homework, call Sacramento if you have any questions.

• Gadsen

Posted March 02, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Be careful, I tried that route back in 2002 with a crf450, you know to try and save some money. So I took it to my local DMV, all they wanted to see was that the engine I.D. # was the same as the one on the title. So I received a green sticker. I was stoked at the time because in the states it was red sticker only. Once the Sacramento Head Office received it they sent it all back and said it did not meet California emissions, therefore I could not register nor could I receive a California title (pink slip). I contacted SAC. they ran the V.I.N. and said it was a Canadian Import (black market). To end the story somewhat short, It could never be registered in CA. So I sold it and lost money. For what it's worth that's my story. All I am saying is do your homework, call Sacramento if you have any questions.

Its legal to bring vehicles from Canada to the US, they have the same emissions as we do (except Cally) and we call them "grey market", in other words, it was imported legally. I suppose one could get an emission sticker, but like tecate said, the VIN will flag is as no go in Cally. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.