dr 650 skid plate

16 replies to this topic
  • mcassidy

Posted February 28, 2006 - 07:27 PM

any advice on the best skid plate for a new dr 650?

• p-tree

Posted March 01, 2006 - 04:04 AM

I got a Moose skid plate from Dennis Kirk and its a well built plate , the fit was perfect and it looks good.
The part number for the DR650 is 513360 and it cost $79.95
http://www.denniskir...sp?skuId=513360

• DoubleD650

Posted March 01, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Got mine for DualStar.....
Took longer for the engine to cool off then install.
I hear rocks 'PING' off of it even going down the country roads.
Look in the 'garage' under my avatar and you can see it better than at the web site....Think it was around $70+ delivered.....
I liked them because it has dual wings(Just like the Maxi Pads :thumbsup: )
Here is the website;

http://www.dual-star... Skid Plate.htm

No matter who you pick,,, You got to have one on this machine !

• SACANDAGA

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I got the one from the Suzuki catalog. Looks nice, not much side protection though.

• Stopi

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:45 AM

My DR had a CRD skidplate fitted when i bought the bike,it looks nice and does the job intended..

• sandblaster

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:07 AM

I have the Utah Sports, has side protection, about $70 including shipping. 10 min install and works very well. Get whatever make you want, but get one and save yourself some pain (broken case very expensive) down the road.

• Jacobruhl

Posted March 02, 2006 - 12:18 AM

i have the moose one from dennis kirk. Its great lots of protection easy to install and doesn't get in the way of changing the oil. The plate on mine is really tore up now, but if i didnt have it my case would have a hole in it.

• PAINLESS43

Posted March 02, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I second the Utah Sport cycle one, best price and good side protection, easy install too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fenderstrat

Posted March 02, 2006 - 03:17 PM

I just ordered the dualstar today...in case I want highway pegs sometime in the future. I have the utah one on my dr350...it's nice too

• pelikan

Posted March 02, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Anybody know if any company makes a hard plastic skid plate for the dr650? My friend has one on his KTM by KTM and not only has no durability complaints but he also said it's much quieter.

• fenderstrat

Posted March 02, 2006 - 07:16 PM

I don't think anyone makes one. Plastic or carbon fiber won't cut it on the dr650. My old dualstar plate was pretty wasted after 5k miles. They take a serious beating in the rocks. I don't like carbon fiber.... It looks really cool but the stuff is worthless after one good smack. I went through 3 carbon fiber pipe guards on the kdx before giving up on them (it costs the same to just replace the pipe anyway). The bling factor is gone too after one lick. How about trying some rhino liner type coating for noise damping?

• 05dr650

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Anybody know if any company makes a hard plastic skid plate for the dr650? My friend has one on his KTM by KTM and not only has no durability complaints but he also said it's much quieter.

I am making one at the moment, and I am going to sell them when I work all the bugs out. I am making it out of puck board. I will see how it does and then sell a few.

• DansDR

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:05 AM

I am making one at the moment, and I am going to sell them when I work all the bugs out. I am making it out of puck board.

I'm just curious(or maybe just stupid) but what the heck is puck board

• Flealami

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:57 AM

You have company. Puck board?????????

Flea

• 05dr650

Posted March 03, 2006 - 03:03 PM

You have company. Puck board?????????

Flea

I work with my father, and he owns a machine shop. But I am trying to make them out of alluminum, stainless steel, and puck board. I used to make my front nose cones on my stock car out of puck board, and it was realy strong and stood up realy well. I am just trying new things, and want to see what would do best. The puck board is great because it would not make any noise, but I am not sure how it would stand up. So it does not hurt to try. :thumbsup:

• Flealami

Posted March 04, 2006 - 02:22 PM

I understand but what is .....puck board?

Flea

• 05dr650

Posted March 04, 2006 - 06:50 PM

I understand but what is .....puck board?

Flea

Puck board is just a thick plastic, flexible plastic. Maybe I do not know the proper name for it but that is what is called here at the local hardware store.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.