WR450 Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank...?

10 replies to this topic
  • AHRMA17L

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:01 PM

I finally took the plunge...I have always ridden and raced YZ's but have had XR's for off road and dual sport. I just bought a new 2005 WR450.

This bike will be used for big long rides in the middle of nowhere (western deserts, Baja, and Dual Sport).

I see that Acerbis makes a 6.6 gallon tank for the bike. I have not had the best of luck with the Acerbis tanks on XR's and am a little hesitant to buy this for the WR, but no one make a tank over 4 gallons (3.3 gallons for that matter, it seems).

Does anyone have experience with this 6.6 gallon tank?

• clark4131

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:10 PM

I've not heard of the 6.6 tank, just the 3.4, which is what I have on mine, which I love by the way. I can't imagine something that big on this bike. Acerbis doesn't list anything like it on their website, but that doesn't mean much. Where did you find it?...SC

• knewton7

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:17 PM

I've not heard of the 6.6 tank, just the 3.4, which is what I have on mine, which I love by the way. I can't imagine something that big on this bike. Acerbis doesn't list anything like it on their website, but that doesn't mean much. Where did you find it?...SC

check the motosport.com website for the Acerbis 6.6 gallon tank for the WR450.

kevin

• clark4131

Posted February 28, 2006 - 06:12 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: That's freakin' huge! I'd hate to have to navigate anything technical with that strapped to my bike...SC

• bcs

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:17 PM

Check it out in the Acerbis catalog -- all 25 liters of it. :thumbsup:
Acerbis catalog-tanks

(click the link and look at page 4 of 12)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AHRMA17L

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:44 AM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: That's freakin' huge! I'd hate to have to navigate anything technical with that strapped to my bike...SC

Yes, it is big, but I do not like running out of gas and having to walk in MX boots even if it is one mile, let alone 50 miles, and I refuse to strap jugs of gasoline to me or the bike.

The only other option (and I do not like it much) is to use the Pro Moto Billet rack and install the Acerbis rear fender fuel tank that only holds a little over a gallon, or use the Baja designs side panel kit for the earlier WR with the adapter kit and eliminate the coolant overflow tank. Either one of those would bring the total to about 4.5 gallons with an aftermarket fuel tank. I think that would be "safe" range of maybe 125 miles.

I am looking for something near 175-200.

• farkawi

Posted March 05, 2006 - 05:29 PM

It looks pretty bulbous from the pic in the catalog. I'd like to see it on a bike; or better yet ride a bike with one fitted just to see how the whole setup feels. I'll bet it's the same tank they made for the Dakar teams who seem to need that kind of range.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 05, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Doesn't that add about 50lbs to the bike?

That's obscene. I think my body would wear out before I would run out of gas. Refueling is the perfect reason/excuse to "sit my ass down" for a little while.

However, it would remove any and all worries about running out of gas if on an extended ride. If your WR is dual sported, this could be useful.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 05, 2006 - 08:33 PM

I've been watching for that tank to come available.... I could use one for sure... True, the only drawback would be the weight... Can you imagine carrying around and extra 50 pounds on the bike? I guess it's better than pushing... :thumbsup:

• AHRMA17L

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:22 AM

Doesn't that add about 50lbs to the bike?

That's obscene. I think my body would wear out before I would run out of gas. Refueling is the perfect reason/excuse to "sit my ass down" for a little while.

However, it would remove any and all worries about running out of gas if on an extended ride. If your WR is dual sported, this could be useful.

Well, let see, at 6 pounds per gallon, the full WR tank is about 17 pounds of fuel, and the 6.6 would be almost 40, so an additional 23 pounds. I imagine it would be a lot of weight but, I would hate to have to figure a way out of a place like this...

http://members.aol.c...eracer/1001.jpg

The problem is just that. Usually where I go, there is no gas for miles, let alone any towns with fuel. It is one of the reasons I had always ridden XR's off road is that the range is better than most, but it was time to upgrade to a better bike.

I had considered buying an XR650R and installing the Acerbis Sahara Seat Tank and oversize fuel tank, but I just couldn't bring myself to riding a truck like that.

By the way, if anyone wants to go on some very long dual sport rides in Oregon, let me know...I am always up for an epic ride.

I think I'll order one of the 6.6 tanks and let you guys know how it goes.

• neiltkool

Posted March 06, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Please check back in with an update once you learn more about this tank, as I to am interested in this long-distance fuel option for the Yamaha WR.

I rode the "El Camino del Diablo" a couple of months ago from Yuma to Ajo (135 miles point to point between gas stations) on my XR650R and could not have done this great ride on my new WR, even with the 3.3g tank. Thanks and good luck, -Neil

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.