Oil Consumption (650R)

5 replies to this topic
  • Maximus86

Posted February 28, 2006 - 03:27 PM

well I took my XR for the first full day of MTn riding saturday...

i had a blast! The thing is still geared a little low-14-45 feels like it tops out at 90 or so but anyways i checked the oil before i left the house and then when i got back-it had used a bit of oil-it doesn't seem to be burning any just curious how often everyone else has to "top" off there oil

I was trying to keep up with my friend on his cbr600 and was at full throttle a good bit-

• captb

Posted February 28, 2006 - 04:33 PM

I've never had to add any between oil changes every 1200 miles but I have 15/45 gearing so it's not revving much and 50/50 on off road lately.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted February 28, 2006 - 04:54 PM

well I took my XR for the first full day of MTn riding saturday...

i had a blast! The thing is still geared a little low-14-45 feels like it tops out at 90 or so but anyways i checked the oil before i left the house and then when i got back-it had used a bit of oil-it doesn't seem to be burning any just curious how often everyone else has to "top" off there oil

I was trying to keep up with my friend on his cbr600 and was at full throttle a good bit-

You should have been well over 90mph with that gearing. I have mine geared at 13/52 and mine is tapped out at 80mph maybe 85mph if I push it a little longer.

I do top the oil off every three or four rides. Maybe 100 to 160 miles. It doesn't take much just a little top off. I put even less in when I am slow trail riding with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted February 28, 2006 - 06:16 PM

All bikes will "consume" oil. It's perfectly normal to lose minimal amounts when riding at high RPM's all day.

• frankstr

Posted March 01, 2006 - 06:20 AM

All bikes will "consume" oil. It's perfectly normal to lose minimal amounts when riding at high RPM's all day.

Ditto, Oil is going to be used or the thing will sieze up..... :thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Also, some oil will/can be "lost" by misting it's way out of the crankcase breather--especially with extended high rpm running.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.