Would a 450F be too much for me?

45 replies to this topic
  • Oouthere

Posted March 02, 2006 - 01:21 PM

My 16 year old daughter is a decent rider on her YZ250F. Every once in awhile she jumps my WR450F which is more tame than the YZF, but she's out of control on the track with the 450F. Every time she pulled out of a corner the bike wanted to show her the stars.

The YZ250F is a much more fun machine than the WR450F. I'm faster both on the track and in the woods with the 250F and can ride considerably longer (a good extra 15 seconds, lol). Take your time and find a good 250F, you'll never out grow the machine.

Rich

p.s. the site is a little out dated but her she is:

http://www.leaguelin...rsracing&bhcp=1

http://www.leaguelin...6479&pid=468150

• kawirider

Posted March 02, 2006 - 02:35 PM

You can handle it. But you wont have as much fun. I went from a KX125 to a YZ450F. I LOVE IT. When I was test riding it I could hold a wheelie in 4th gear longer than I ever could on my 125. But the differance is I was ready for it. I had been riding my dads 250F some and I had also been riding a buddys YZ250 on various occasions as well. I was ready for the power. You know how to ride a bike and so you would be able to handle it. But it would not be as much fun. One of my friends got a brand 2004 YZ450F that was a left over. He was coming off a CRF230. Even though the '04 is much easier to ride than the '03 he is still on too much bike. He has not even got the bike into 4th gear yet! Now I am not saying you cant do it. I am saying that you probably would not have as much fun on it because you would always have to be fighting it. Now if you have plenty of time to get used to the bike and an empty lot near your house then go for it. If you do get it I recomend you gear it 14/45. Stock is 14/48 and so going down 3 teeth will help to tame the power. Lastly, you do NOT want to ride around in 1st and 2nd. Shortshift and lug it and 3rd and 4th. In 1st and 2nd the '03 can and will throw you on your butt so fast you wont know what happened. When you do shortshift and lug it make sure you have your chain adjusted tight enough or else your vibrating chain can permenantly scuff your swingarm. I scuffed mine up when I let my chain get too loose.

You may be too small for a 450 too. My '03 is not a flickable bike. I weigh 170 and it feels like the bike rides me sometimes. My friend is 150 and he said that he doesnt feel like he is in control.

• theclone

Posted March 02, 2006 - 04:07 PM

You will have way more fun on something smaller. The 450 is too much work for someone your size.

• N_Boyd

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:43 PM

You may be too small for a 450 too. My '03 is not a flickable bike. I weigh 170 and it feels like the bike rides me sometimes. My friend is 150 and he said that he doesnt feel like he is in control.

That how it is with me. I'm 160, and my 450 takes me for a ride! It has put me on my butt a few times already, but I'm getting the hang of it :thumbsup:
I can't hardly ride a 250f anymore, I love the 50 hp :thumbsup:

• piperpilot

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:54 PM

@ 5' 08" and 170lbs the 450 is a lot of fun, I ride with a large group that has a wide range of riders. We all like the 450. None of us use it to it's full potential. Is it the right bike? It isn't for everyone. But the bottom line is that you don't have to run it full throttle. Self-Control and Discipline will make a wiser rider :thumbsup:

• kid on a 426

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Im 15 (Going on 16 in a few months).

Ive been riding about a year on a friends Honda CRF230F...Ive been able to use the bikes full power and it doesnt seem like much that much power anymore, considering i thought id never leave 3rd gear when i first rode it :thumbsup:

Now, im ready to buy a bike of my own....a local dealer has a 2003 YZF450F on sale in my price range...I sat on it and i could touch the ground...Im worried however would this bike be too much power for me...or if i took it easy could i handle it?

Thanks

well im 13 and 5 4 and ride a 426 the only problem i got is arm strength. I am pretty big for my age and also pretty strong but I have trouble doing more than 3 consecutive laps riding at full speed. I dont have any trouble at all starting it i dont have too much trouble touching the ground either. It takes some skill but youll grow into it before you know it

• kawirider

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:36 PM

@ 5' 08" and 170lbs the 450 is a lot of fun, I ride with a large group that has a wide range of riders. We all like the 450. None of us use it to it's full potential. Is it the right bike? It isn't for everyone. But the bottom line is that you don't have to run it full throttle. Self-Control and Discipline will make a wiser rider :thumbsup:

He is right. 450's are not for everyone. You can not just wick the throttle open like you can on a 230. You cant really point and shoot like you can on a 230. A 450 takes an entirely differant riding style. It took me about 4 rides before I was finally getting the hang of it. Since a 450 has so much tractable power on hand, they can get you into trouble. However, all that power can get you out of trouble too. For example: There have been many times when I will be riding and I come around a corner too fast and find a log across the trail. But since I have all the power available I can quickly grab a handful of throttle and wheelie over it.

The only bad thing about 450's is how fast they wear out chains/sprockets/tires. A maxxis IT will only last about 4-5 rides MAX on my bike. Just something to think about when making your decision

• kid on a 426

Posted March 02, 2006 - 08:58 PM

The only bad thing about 450's is how fast they wear out chains/sprockets/tires. A maxxis IT will only last about 4-5 rides MAX on my bike. Just something to think about when making your decision

DUDE :thumbsup: get steel sprockets and a high quality chain and theyll last super long and about that tire thing :thumbsup: do you only wear off the leading edge because we aint flush on money so we wear tires usually down to cord but man only 4 rides out of a tire

• Kevron

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:38 AM

My suggestion would be to get a 250F. I'm sure with patiences and time you would get the hang of the 450. But i think you would have much more fun on the 250F, plus you would fit it better. I have a 450 and i am 6', 185lbs and i still get beat up by it sometimes. I ride my buddies 250f and wonder why i have a 450, i definatly can't ride towards its potential. If you ask me, wait for a 250F, you will enjoy the bike much more, and improve better on a bike you are comfortable with.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted March 03, 2006 - 11:16 AM

Or get a 450 with a smoothe power delivery that's easy to use like the 450 SX.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • b1m9x

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:44 PM

Im 16 6,2 and 160 lbs. I ride both a ktm 450mxc and a wr450 however ive rode yz450s and other brands. Personally i can handle the bikes pretty well however i have had quite a bit of experience on a bike in some of the worst conditions in the world. I mostly ride enduros and long trips so in the woods i find it hard to totally take advantage of the 450 motor but i know very few people who actually can. My recomendation for you is get something smaller. For the past 3 years i rode a honda cr250 and that was pretty decent however it did get boring after a while. But yeah with the amount of saddle time you say you have, stay away from big bore 4 strokes. A 250 might be good cause you can run it slow but the bike will also fly if ya want it to... Just my 2 cents

• letmein

Posted March 03, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I do not know you but I do not want you to get hurt. Take baby steps... get a smaller bike, learn it well, then move up.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:20 PM

how come you guys are so negative i moved up from a crf 150 to a 426 and have no trouble(besides arm pump) and im only 13 he can handle it he doesnt have to use all the horsepower he just needs throttle control and gear it down some maybe lower it and he'll be fine

• kawirider

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:20 PM

DUDE :thumbsup: get steel sprockets and a high quality chain and theyll last super long and about that tire thing :thumbsup: do you only wear off the leading edge because we aint flush on money so we wear tires usually down to cord but man only 4 rides out of a tire

Yeah I was probably exagerating a little bit. It seems really fast to me because I was used to being able to go 6 months on a chain and a whole year on a rear sprocket. I do have steel sprockets, just not a good chain. It is a cheapo non o-ring MX chain. I have to adjust it after every ride. As far as the tire thing, I do replace my tires pretty often. All the power and brakes in the world wont do you a single bit of good if you have bald tires. My 5th ride on my maxxis IT 2 weeks ago was a joke. I was spinning EVERYWHERE. Hillclimbs were practically impossible and even rolling it on would produce a lot of wheelspin.

• SoCalrider21

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:26 PM

Well I would highly recomend a 250F. I made the same transition as you from a CRF230 and the 250F is a totally different. I plan on moving up to a 450 in a little bit here. But if you really want the 450F then get it, it is a great bike with tons of power, but it might be a little bit of a big transition off of a CRF230. Just my $0.02

• kid on a 426

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:36 PM

Hillclimbs were practically impossible and even rolling it on would produce a lot of wheelspin.

Is this in mud? My bro can do the gnarliest deserted sandy hill climbs with absolute zero knobs left. Im not an experienced mud rider so I wouldn't know how tough it is to do hillclimbs in the mud. I try to avoid it like the plague I know it cant be good to get loaded up with a hundred pounds of mud and try and ride it around (burnt out my old xr80 clutch doing that)

• perrymx23

Posted March 04, 2006 - 04:49 AM

I traded my 03 yz450 to a young man( can't stand calling a young rider a kid)
He was 14/15 years old, but i meet him at a friends track and watched him ride. I then let him ride the 450, explained about riding a gear higher to keep the hit down and throttle control. He did great, i was truly impressed by his listening skills and riding skill. Made him ride the bike for a least a 1/2 hour before agreeing to trade. He loves the bike and is doing great.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 04, 2006 - 09:00 PM

WOW u traded right there on the spot what about tiltes are you talking permamnent when you mean trade or just for like an hour what did you trade for

• perrymx23

Posted March 05, 2006 - 03:21 AM

Traded permanent. Just had all my paperwork and he had all his and we traded. He had a 04 CRF250. I traded the CRF for a 04 YZ450F. CRF250 just was not fast enough after the 03 YZ450.

• yami250f

Posted March 05, 2006 - 03:06 PM

Just because the power is there, you don't have to use it all.

:thumbsup: :bonk: I agree 100%. I had a 2001 Yamaha PW80 to an old 1987 Suzuki DR125 fourstroke with very little power, almost the same as the 80 sadly, and from there, strait to a 2004 250f, all in the timeframe of 2 years. Bikes are only too powerful if your wreckless and abuse the power that they have. If you take it easy and get use to the bike, build up your speed, there is no reason not to. I also agree that it is all throttle control. I'm also only 16 yrs old, 5"6' and 140lbs, and going to an 07 450 next season. Take it easy and be safe :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.