2003 Yz450f help needed

13 replies to this topic
  • boyonblue52

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:23 AM

i just bought a yz450f in september and this last weekend when i was in this indoor place...i noticed after i was done riding that the tire really rubbed on the exhaust...so i looked and i noticed that looking from the rear of the bike on the left hand side on the chain adjuster it has a big notch in it and i was wondering if that counts as one of the notches for the adjustment because i think the right side had one more notch compared to that side but idk. please help i am going riding this weekend and would like to fix this soon. Thanks for your help
:thumbsup:

• jbrooks26

Posted February 28, 2006 - 11:42 AM

Don't put a lot of faith into the axle blocks for chain adjustment. Use them to get you close and then step back and take a look down the chain. It should be straight from the rear sprocket to the front sprocket. If not, then adjust it so that it is and you still have the tension you want. Hope this helps.

Josh

• motohess

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Also, did you dump hard enough to bend your rear swing arm? That can also cause the tire to rub the exhaust.

• boyonblue52

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:32 PM

no i only did one run and its brand freakin new bike i only bought it from a guy who put 5 hours of riding around his house...never saw a jump... I came up short on a double a bit and my front tire just barly caught and it sent my body weight forward and i just kinda went over and to the right side when i fell.....i dont think i could have bent the rear swing arm....it barely got hit.....it never did it before that day either...it was my first time at an indoor place.....also i took it out the other day and i noticed it did it again so idk....what do ya think just the adjustment might be out b/c the tire in between the swing arm doesnt look centered so i think i might have set it to that little notch....im ganna go out and check a bit here so yeah...what else could it be?

• jbrooks26

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:49 PM

One of 4 things. Chain not adjusted correctly allowing the axle to be cocked to one side in the swingarm. Swing arm bent causing wheel alignment to be out. Wheel bearings bad allowing wheel to move enough to rub the exhaust. Or the exhaust got pushed into the tire and now it is bent enough to allow it to rub. Let us know what you find, and if you can post some pics. Hope this helps.

Josh

• RAMARION

Posted February 28, 2006 - 04:05 PM

Don't put a lot of faith into the axle blocks for chain adjustment. Use them to get you close and then step back and take a look down the chain. It should be straight from the rear sprocket to the front sprocket. If not, then adjust it so that it is and you still have the tension you want. Hope this helps.

Josh

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

• 450_rider

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Is it just your tire rubbing on the exhaust? When i first got my 03 it was bottoming like crazy and there was all sorts of scratches from my tire. The scratches where kind of in a circular shape. What really scared me was the big dent in the can but i was told on here its room for the brake caliper. Do you have a picture?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_rider

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:14 PM

If it really bothers you, you can always buy and aftermarket slip on; i recomend the fmf factory 4. :thumbsup:

• big t

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:27 PM

You probably bent the subframe or just the exhaust bracket.

• boyonblue52

Posted February 28, 2006 - 06:35 PM

I will try to get some pics of it...I found i tonite that i did tweak the sub fram and the right side needs to go over 3/32 of an inch and the exhaust is just tweaked a little...what would be the best way to bend it back...the way i thought would be in a vice or a rummer mallet....please help.....

• boyonblue52

Posted March 01, 2006 - 10:14 AM

PLEASE HELP AS OF THE BEST WAY TO BEND IT BACK WITH OUT IT SNAPPing........some of my freinds have had them snap in the past so what would be the best way to preven that since they are 326 BUCKS NEW!!!!!

• jbrooks26

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:15 AM

I don't know if you will be able to bend it back, aluminum doesn't like to do that. However, I just checked Yamaha's website and the 250 and 450 for 2003 use the same subframe. I also looked on e-bay and there are several subframes on there for much less than new. Hope this helps.

Josh

• boyonblue52

Posted March 01, 2006 - 04:42 PM

where did u see those because i cant seem to find them under either listing????????

• jbrooks26

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:14 PM

I just searched for "yz subframe" there were about 30 of them.

Josh

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.