Desert IT next to used S12

5 replies to this topic
  • Cmott426

Posted February 28, 2006 - 07:09 AM

The S12 is 140/80-18 and the Desert IT is 120/100-18. To me the S12 looks a lot wider then the IT, I was told the S12 140 runs small and is the same as a 120 in anyother brand. I will measure it when I get a chance.

I think the Desert IT will be better for me since I do a lot of tight rocky trails and some sand.

http://img.photobuck...tt/DesertIT.jpg

• steve lemley

Posted February 28, 2006 - 07:47 AM

If you do tight rocky trails the Desert IT is the best, i put a set of these on front and back and will never run another tire. You cant get any better in my mind. Its got the width but rolls rounder to give better turning on tight stuff. I have over 400 miles on mine including 35% of it street riding and they look like they are just breaking in. You couldnt ask for better overall control out of a tire and they wear like iron literally.....

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for posting the pic! I run nothing but the 140 S-12 except for a week of desert riding in April. This year I am going to switch from Dunlops to Maxxis for this week in April. I average about 700 miles over the course of the week and with the dunlops I average about 2 front flats and one rear...... I've heard the Maxxis desert IT is the most pinch flat resistant tire you can buy :thumbsup:

Based on your pic I might try and find the 130 Maxxis desert IT unless someone else can tell me it won't fit :thumbsup:

I'll be interested to hear how hard it is to mount, I've heard they have a super stiff carcass and can be a real bitch to mount up. Let us know

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve lemley

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:01 AM

i dont think they make um in anything larger than a 120. Ive seen a 140 teraflex on a WR426 before so I would assume if you could find the IT's bigger it would fit. i measured my swingarm once to see if the 140 would fit and it seemed to be okay with about 1/4 inch clearance on both sides!!! Hope this helps. If you run for that long and need big and strong side wall tires try the american made 140 teraflex. The sidewalls dont get any beefier than these and the traction is unbelievable.

• gobigblue

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for posting the pic! I run nothing but the 140 S-12 except for a week of desert riding in April. This year I am going to switch from Dunlops to Maxxis for this week in April. I average about 700 miles over the course of the week and with the dunlops I average about 2 front flats and one rear...... I've heard the Maxxis desert IT is the most pinch flat resistant tire you can buy :thumbsup:

Based on your pic I might try and find the 130 Maxxis desert IT unless someone else can tell me it won't fit :thumbsup:

I'll be interested to hear how hard it is to mount, I've heard they have a super stiff carcass and can be a real bitch to mount up. Let us know

just mounted one on my wheel and all I can say is if it is cold in your area, warm it up with a heater and it will make for an easier install.

• Cmott426

Posted March 02, 2006 - 07:19 AM

I measured the tires, the Desert IT is 5.1” wide, and the S12 is 5.3" wide. A quarter of an inch is not a lot, not as much as I would have guessed.

By the way, the Desert It tread depth is .75" My used S12 was down to .3"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.