Handguards

8 replies to this topic
  • k69mj

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:44 AM

Are the closed hand guards dangerous ? In my experience it saved my fingers many times (not to count brake levers). On the old dr350 I had the stock open ones and many times my hands got caught between the levers and the guards (painful). This never happened to me with the closed hand guards - at most they bend/rotate up. The ones that I have now (Acerbis) also don't offer that much protection from branches - i sometimes still get smacked on top of my hands.

Now I've been reading that the hands might get caught between the handlebars and the guards when you fall, causing your arms/wrist to break. And I see all the pros in the enduro events are running open hand guards.

• byggd

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:28 AM

The Cycra pro bends are designed to minimize this. They sweep down before going forward and offer the freest hand movement IMO

• odonnks

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:36 AM

Yeah, I had a DR350 and had teh same experience. Ouch ! Caught between the guard and brake lever.
My las bike, a KTM I installed handguards tha thad teh aluminum frame which connected into the end of the bar tube. Never had a pinch problem again.
I do like the ones suggested by byggd and may need to get some for my WR.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:26 AM

The older Acerbis rally guards, (all plastic wrap around full), had a cheesy bar clamp that would allow the guard to spin all the way back hitting the rider about mid-wrist, it sucked :thumbsup:

The best combination is the aluminum wrap arounds, (moose, MSR, Cycra), with the triple clamp mount :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Punisher660

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Now I've been reading that the hands might get caught between the handlebars and the guards when you fall, causing your arms/wrist to break.

A small price to pay for keeping your levers in good working order :thumbsup:

• freestyle250

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:54 AM

I have the Acerbis handguards that are plastic all the way around, and I have not had one problem yet. I took a hard fall that twisted my forks and bent the crap out of my handlebars, but my levers stood strong, and the handguards didnt even rotate around the bar, they stayed where they were mounted. I have been really happy with them so far.

• Jah WR

Posted February 28, 2006 - 02:03 PM

I've really liked the Fastway F.I.T system hand guards I installed on my 05. Taken many falls and have never had any hand/wrist injuries. The guards have held up well.

• TallBoysWRF

Posted February 28, 2006 - 03:14 PM

A small price to pay for keeping your levers in good working order :thumbsup:

However you do keep you fingers in good working order when you clip a tree which means you can still ride out of the woods. :bonk:

Personally I have never known anyone or heard of someone in person that broke their wrist due to the hand guards. The only real problem there is if you go flying over the bars and don't let go. I personally have never had a problem the times I have gone over the bars. I however have had extensice experience with clipping my handlebars on trees! :bonk: However I had the aluminum guards and continued riding and came back to clip more trees on days to come. :thumbsup:

I do know of a guy however that lost the end of his finger when he clipped a tree and his finger was caught between the lever and bar! :bonk: My friend Tom was there and said when he took his glove off, they had him put it back on so as not to loose anything. :eek:

• Matty05

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:50 PM

I won't run anything other than the closed handguards with the wrap around aluminium bar.
In all the years of riding, I have never hurt my self because of handguards. I don't know anyone who has actually.

My Barkbusters always look trashed, I would hate to see my hands if I were using just roost deflectors. I have snapped small trees in half before, so they do work.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.