New BRP issues

10 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:13 PM

Picked up my new to me (couldn't tell it from brand new) 03 and had to take a spin of course. Warmed it up good before taking off and rode gently for 15 minutes or so. (COLD) When I back off the throttle the idle doesn't drop immediately, very little compression braking for a few seconds. Seemed like it was holding onto revs.?? CLutch? It engages very cleanly and smoothly off the line and feels very strong. The bike is bone stock and still corked.
Thanks

• captb

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:54 PM

Not to worry, park it till it's uncorked and properly jetted, it doesn't take much to make it right. :thumbsup: Search post on uncorking and jetting then go for a ride.

• painkilla

Posted February 27, 2006 - 10:01 PM

this bike wasnt meant to be ridden all choked up

remove all that shit, and then tell us how it feels :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted February 28, 2006 - 03:56 AM

That symptom is the result of a lean pilot circuit. It's known as a "run-on" when the throttle is chopped. Uncorking her will do the trick.

• MindBlower

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Thanks guys, was HOPING I didn't have a mechanical problem right off the bat!

Guess that answers the question on whether to uncork or not. I don't think I really need the HP, but if it's not going to run smoothly without........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIGGITY

Posted February 28, 2006 - 11:09 AM

Uncork that beast and you'll never look back. 100% difference...

• JimT

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:34 PM

Is the throttle cable sticking? It's common for the cable to get misrouted when putting on the fuel tank. Make sure the cable is routed correctly where it passes next to the leftside frame mounting bolt.

• TimBrp

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Is the throttle cable sticking? It's common for the cable to get misrouted when putting on the fuel tank. Make sure the cable is routed correctly where it passes next to the leftside frame mounting bolt.

Doesn't appear that way Jim. He stated that it doesn't drop "immediately" leading me to believe it does in fact drop. Mine did the same thing when I got it. Annoying as hell. Get that puppy uncorked!

• gnarly sprockets

Posted March 01, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Doesn't appear that way Jim. He stated that it doesn't drop "immediately" leading me to believe it does in fact drop. Mine did the same thing when I got it. Annoying as hell. Get that puppy uncorked!

My uncorked BRP did this also after 2 weeks in Mexico. Lubed cables fixed problem.

• TimBrp

Posted March 02, 2006 - 04:09 AM

My uncorked BRP did this also after 2 weeks in Mexico. Lubed cables fixed problem.

Seems like I stand corrected...inspect the cables too dudes! :thumbsup:

Being still corked up though and not having the symptoms when he turns the wheel, I'd still put some money on a lean pilot circuit.

• khelton

Posted March 02, 2006 - 07:42 AM

You will think you bought a totally different bike after uncorking it, don't forget the jets.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.