Is it an "R" or an "L" ???

36 replies to this topic
  • ghoti

Posted March 01, 2006 - 09:35 AM

Pigboy, some like southern comfort, some like cognac.
Me, I'm a tequila man.

Some are out there to ride fast, some are out there to ride the nastiest, toughest, steepest terrain they can find, stuff that would challenge any bike and rider.

Come on up to the Deposit Trail-Trials event and we'll see which makes a better trials bike- an XRR or an XRL, and we'll have a beer rehashing the fun parts afterwords.

I'd tell you how the XR650R at the event last year did, but there wasn't one. My XRL was the only bike there over a 450.

Dave

Be caeful there Dave...there's Pigrider, "bad" guy, shovelling snow, and there's pigryder, "good" guy in the groundhog state. Me, I'm riding, gonna be 85º today. :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 01, 2006 - 10:51 AM

I get it.
...Chicks dig it. Think I'll take the L. :thumbsup:

"That's Hot." :thumbsup: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted March 01, 2006 - 01:04 PM

Well, ok, uh, I have an XR600R and love it. I don't have any ill will toward L owners...don't know where that came from but I have a question....will the Magnisium side cases from an 85-87 XR600R interchange with the heavier not as beautiful ones made out of aluminum from my 1996 XR600R?

• pigryder

Posted March 01, 2006 - 03:31 PM

appretiate the comment ghoti :thumbsup: Remember the old slogan guys "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" :thumbsup:

• justicedone

Posted March 01, 2006 - 07:47 PM

Somebody asked if I had a point, when I posted this thread. Actually I havent posted in quite a while, so I decided to kick the bee-hive a bit, just for fun.

I guess I could have just spam replied "cool" to a few other threads...hmmm

nah

• Jayzonk

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:33 PM

is there a point to this post that im missing :thumbsup:

Yes. The point is that starting an argument with yourself will likely lead to you punching your own self in the face....

• Jayzonk

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:36 PM

I think it's the fake radiator shrouds, tin tank and 50 extra pounds that turns me off from the L. Certainly an XR no doubt.

I recall the brochure saying that the shrouds you are talking about are for directing airflow over the engine, not for looking like a liquid cooly. Even if it's bogus, I find it hard to believe that they are there to make you look like you have a liquid cooled engine. No L rider is that vein...

• Jayzonk

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:37 PM

I want to have both the R and the L. Anyone have both? My wife will kill me, though.
BTW, any more news on the XR's demise here? The replacement?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • glassczar

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:59 PM

what did you do to it to make it run better. i just picked up an 05 650l and it is a slug. what are the first few things i should do to make it run its best. It already has a wbros.e2 and k/n filter. what jets should i use .
I got it to let my dad ride, but even a 70 year old thinks it is a bit sluggish.

Thanks

Thanks.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted March 01, 2006 - 09:24 PM

I want to have both the R and the L. Anyone have both? My wife will kill me, though.
BTW, any more news on the XR's demise here? The replacement?

'Both' is highly recommended. :thumbsup:

I am awaiting the CRF600X. :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted March 02, 2006 - 04:14 AM

I recall the brochure saying that the shrouds you are talking about are for directing airflow over the engine, not for looking like a liquid cooly. Even if it's bogus, I find it hard to believe that they are there to make you look like you have a liquid cooled engine. No L rider is that vein...

Jay, I know they're there for wind deflection aimed at the motor. I was trying to make a point that this thread would just turn sour...read on to my reply for dave...

• pigryder

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:00 AM

Hey guys I got both, just got the L couple of weeks ago and tell ya the truth I dont think theres really that much of a difference, at least not enough to argue about which ones better :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 02, 2006 - 09:02 AM

appretiate the comment ghoti :thumbsup: Remember the old slogan guys "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" :thumbsup:

Shoot, it was an accident that post came just after yours- figured it'd be obvious which one of us in the pigpen I was referring to!

Dave

• justicedone

Posted March 02, 2006 - 01:24 PM

what did you do to it to make it run better. i just picked up an 05 650l and it is a slug. what are the first few things i should do to make it run its best. It already has a wbros.e2 and k/n filter. what jets should i use .
I got it to let my dad ride, but even a 70 year old thinks it is a bit sluggish.

Thanks

Thanks.

Talk to Dave and do the mods, Drill slide in carb, 55/158 jets should be great for your location (as I run in So Ca) and change gearing to close the huge space between 1-2nd gears. When you do the basic stuff it really opens the beast up. Remove airbox snorkel also.
You wouldnt believe the diff in stock to modded power.

Brrrrraaaaaaap !!!!!!

word :thumbsup:

• Jayzonk

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:23 PM

'Both' is highly recommended. :thumbsup:

I am awaiting the CRF600X. :thumbsup:

Fye Fye on you who predicteth the coming of the beast.....you must speaketh only the truth, oh wise man....

• Jayzonk

Posted March 03, 2006 - 09:31 PM

I was at the local Honda dealer today - he had an L in the showroom, which is a first in a couple of years. It's one of two things:
1) a resurgence in popularity of dual sporting
2) Honda is shoving them down the dealer's throats to clear them out.
Any thoughts?

• wheelnut46

Posted March 04, 2006 - 05:22 AM

I was at the local Honda dealer today - he had an L in the showroom, which is a first in a couple of years. It's one of two things:
1) a resurgence in popularity of dual sporting
2) Honda is shoving them down the dealer's throats to clear them out.
Any thoughts?

I'd guess it's probably one of the only "L"s that he's going to get for the year. When I was looking at bikes the dealer I went to had a '05 DR650 and an '04 KLR650 in stock. He wouldnt even build the "L" to put onto the showroom until the others were gone. I'm sure I could have bought it outright (sight unseen) but I wanted to sit on it and I was SOL. I could have gotten a heck of a deal on a KLR though - LOL.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.