Is it an "R" or an "L" ???

36 replies to this topic
  • justicedone

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:37 PM

I remember 1985 like it was yesterday...man was that fun. There I was on my shiny XR500 hitting a sweet jump in 3rd gear and trying to table top the old pig.

fast forward to today...

I now am 41 and ride a pretty tricked out L model 650...and it will take me absolutely anywhere I decide to ride and then some.

But heres where I get confused....

My bike is totally based on technology from decades of XR500-XR600 (R!!!) models. I mean in many ways the damn bikes are the same...No?

So the guys who really feel the need to go 120mph in the desert or whatever...lol... somehow become "threatened" by the more relaxed and mellowed "L" owners. I mean I really dont get the hostility eather way.

If it wasnt for so called "L" bikes and years of input regarding them, their "R" cousin would never have been built.

Theres a lot of bikes that could spank an R silly for what its designed. Ahem...KTM, Husky etc...

But the L is and always has been the most versatile DS when set up right, ever made. Theres a few exotics, but seriously, a Kaw, Suzuki, Yamaha...NOPE!
so in retrospect...

Cant we all just get along...

Mmmmmmkay

*ps* I am not putting down an R, I wouldnt mind messing around on one for a day. But I have no desire to own one. Everybody buys the bike that is best for them. And the guys who run smack all day would be better served putting that time into learning how to be a better rider, and perhaps better friend. The world has one WRFfanboy...lest we need another ??? :thumbsup:

• painkilla

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:55 PM

is there a point to this post that im missing :thumbsup:

• Maddox101

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:00 PM

Probably not....

• GIANTac1

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:32 PM

I remember 1985 like it was yesterday...man was that fun. There I was on my shiny XR500 hitting a sweet jump in 3rd gear and trying to table top the old pig.

fast forward to today...

I now am 41 and ride a pretty tricked out L model 650...and it will take me absolutely anywhere I decide to ride and then some.

My bike is totally based on technology from decades of XR500-XR600 (R!!!) models. I mean in many ways the damn bikes are the same...No?

So the guys who really feel the need to go 120mph in the desert or whatever...lol... somehow become "threatened" by the more relaxed and mellowed "L" owners. I mean I really dont get the hostility eather way.

If it wasnt for so called "L" bikes and years of input regarding them, their "R" cousin would never have been built.

Theres a lot of bikes that could spank an R silly for what its designed. Ahem...KTM, Husky etc...

But the L is and always has been the most versatile DS when set up right, ever made. Theres a few exotics, but seriously, a Kaw, Suzuki, Yamaha...NOPE!
so in retrospect...

Mmmmmmkay

*ps* I am not putting down an R, I wouldnt mind messing around on one for a day. But I have no desire to own one. Everybody buys the bike that is best for them. And the guys who run smack all day would be better served putting that time into learning how to be a better rider, and perhaps better friend. The world has one WRFfanboy...lest we need another ??? :thumbsup:

I miss all you boys! How have the knarly mexico/S.D. tracks been treating you? "F" ALL the little sissy la la's who dont wanna hang with the D.S. MEN who catch some air with thier "L's". Grab the 2 smoker or whatever you have to ride, but, the L will smoke you! happy trails!!!! :thumbsup:
D.T.C.

• GIANTac1

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:34 PM

I miss all you boys! How have the knarly mexico/S.D. tracks been treating you? "F" ALL the little sissy la la's who dont wanna hang with the D.S. MEN who catch some air with thier "L's". Grab the 2 smoker or whatever you have to ride, but, the L will smoke you! happy trails!!!! :thumbsup:
D.T.C.

That goes for you "are" guys to! :thumbsup:

• hill5150

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:40 PM

:thumbsup:

• HawkGT

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:46 PM

Kinda sounds like someone trying to rationalize "L" ownership... :thumbsup:

• gslk1214

Posted February 28, 2006 - 06:19 AM

Reply to justicedone

Good point Just bought a 2006 XR650L, beacuse that is the one I wanted.
Here in Canada you simply cannot plate an "R" They know what you are trying to do when you try!!
Will enjoy it the way it is!!

Gord

1981 DT175
1982 XL185S
2006 XR650L

• TimBrp

Posted February 28, 2006 - 06:38 AM

I think it's the fake radiator shrouds, tin tank and 50 extra pounds that turns me off from the L. Certainly an XR no doubt.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 28, 2006 - 07:37 AM

I think it's the fake radiator shrouds, tin tank and 50 extra pounds that turns me off from the L. Certainly an XR no doubt.

My shrouds & metal tank are on the garage shelf. Garage art, plain & simple. :thumbsup:

For me, the choice was obvious; however, the emotional portion of the decision pushed me toward the R. The logical portion led me to purchase the L. No regrets, either.

DS kits are easy. I have a Baja Designs one on my 250R. Tags are easy. I have one on my 250R.

Extra 50 lbs helps on the highway. My L will never hit ultra-technical, difficult, gnarly trails.

Bottom line for me is:
Wanna ride dirt? Get a dirt bike (which I already have, but may replace soon).
Wanna ride street? Get a street bike (already have one)
Wanna ride DS? Get an L (or a DRZ400S, KTM, etc....)

I'm a Honda guy, so the L was the choice for me.

Buy/ride what you want. Nothing beyond that concept matters. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:22 AM

Buy/ride what you want. Nothing beyond that concept matters. :thumbsup:

I'd like to chage your statment to be "ride what you have" it's the best, (only), bike for you.

• roadcam

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:52 AM

fast forward to today...

so in retrospect...

Mmmmmmkay

Very well said ... :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:26 AM

Tim, the air scoops are functional and aid cooling quite a bit.
Given the lean jetting and huge front fender, in stock trim it will overheat without them.

To JusticeDone:

There is NO PLACE on this board for that kind of rational thought and well-considered opinion. Take it somewhere appropriate! :thumbsup:

Dave

• TimBrp

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:29 AM

Tim, the air scoops are functional and aid cooling quite a bit.
Given the lean jetting and huge front fender, in stock trim it will overheat without them.

To JusticeDone:

There is NO PLACE on this board for that kind of rational thought and well-considered opinion. Take it somewhere appropriate! :thumbsup:

Dave

Dave, I just find it funny how "fired" up people get with regards to the two bikes. I could honestly care less. It's just fun to fuel the fire and watch these guys duke it out. Like one of those "Mines bigger than yours" contests....pathetic really. All in all they are both great bikes, Hondas, if you will.

• ghoti

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:38 AM

I was just at the dealer getting some parts and of course the parts counter is way at the back. No R's or L's to be found, but there were 2 DRZ 400's. A SM and whatever letter the street version is. :thumbsup:

• PigRider

Posted February 28, 2006 - 01:35 PM

Keep riding your sissy L bike, I'm sure you enjoy it. I DS'd R will do everything your overweight, undersuspended L will do, only much better. A DS'R is still the most versatile bike on the market. Single track, two track, sand, woods, road......it does it all, and I can get easily get parts for it, unlike some of the Euro bikes. Unless you ride 95% on the road, why would anyone consider an L? I don't get it.

• ghoti

Posted February 28, 2006 - 02:20 PM

Keep riding your sissy L bike, I'm sure you enjoy it. I DS'd R will do everything your overweight, undersuspended L will do, only much better. A DS'R is still the most versatile bike on the market. Single track, two track, sand, woods, road......it does it all, and I can get easily get parts for it, unlike some of the Euro bikes. Unless you ride 95% on the road, why would anyone consider an L? I don't get it.

Keep squawking Noob, The L's will still be here long after the R's soon to end reign is over. And get real, a WR250 would spank your R on single track. :thumbsup:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 28, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I get it.

Airhead.

Low-maintenance.

Reliable.

Powerful.

Lots-o-parts.

Wheelies-a-plenty.

Easy to work on.

No DMV/inspection hassles.

Stout.

Button.

Honda.

Proven.

Chicks dig it.

It's red.

It's w00talicious.

It makes my stable look good.

Great road manners.

Trailworthy.

L's get to do this alot: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

It's 80 here. Gonna go for a ride. Think I'll take the L. :thumbsup:

• pigryder

Posted February 28, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Guys I only got one thing to say and thats its not the bike its the rider :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 01, 2006 - 09:16 AM

Pigboy, some like southern comfort, some like cognac.
Me, I'm a tequila man.

Some are out there to ride fast, some are out there to ride the nastiest, toughest, steepest terrain they can find, stuff that would challenge any bike and rider.

Come on up to the Deposit Trail-Trials event and we'll see which makes a better trials bike- an XRR or an XRL, and we'll have a beer rehashing the fun parts afterwords.

I'd tell you how the XR650R at the event last year did, but there wasn't one. My XRL was the only bike there over a 450.

Dave

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.