BK Mod theory??

6 replies to this topic
  • obxnc

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Alright, I did the BK Mod to my 01 426. Turned it down to a split second dribble instead of the 15 foot, 3 second long stream. Now, how exactly is this supposed to get rid of the bog? Basically all I did was turn off the accelerator pump, or seriously turn it down. What is the theory behind turning down the duration of the AP?
I did the mod, and went out and rode. I did notice a slight difference in throttle response :thumbsup: , but nothing major :thumbsup: . I did not adjust it any further than the initial adjustment though. Should it get rid of the bog on a throttle blip or just help out in the acceleration around corners?
I guess I was expecting a mind boggling difference.

A little insight please... :bonk:

The light blue wire mod is next.. Or should I just leave it alone??

Thanks all... 70-75 this Thursday (perfect riding day) :bonk:

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:45 PM

http://m.bobbitt.hom...fm/tech/ap1.jpg

Now that is also dealing with leak jets that you do NOT have in the 426. So the BK mod is kind of doing the same thing as the leak jets, just in a different way.

Now since you have the BK mod done, you need to finish jetting the carb. Get a longer fuel screw and JD Jet kit. Do that an you will have no bog at all.

• theMotoMan

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:55 PM

The imfamous "bog" can be caused by either too much fuel being injected by the accelerator pump, too little fuel, or improper timing (too early or too late). When you have too much, you get kind of a stumble when you crack the throttle, too little and it just starves for fuel with a dead spot. It seems the 250F's mostly suffered from too little squirt and a lot of 426's suffered from too much.

It sounds like it did the job for you. You are not going to see a mind boggling difference on a 426. Some folks think that if they can twist the throttle from zero to full throttle without hesitation while the bike sits on the stand, they have it tuned properly. This is not always achievable and certainly not required.

There is mountains of discussion in the TT archives on the merits of proper accelerator pump action. I personally have tuned my son's and my 250F with smaller leak jets and have achieved good results.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:59 AM

The imfamous "bog" can be caused by either too much fuel being injected by the accelerator pump, too little fuel, or improper timing (too early or too late). When you have too much, you get kind of a stumble when you crack the throttle, too little and it just starves for fuel with a dead spot. It seems the 250F's mostly suffered from too little squirt and a lot of 426's suffered from too much.

It sounds like it did the job for you. You are not going to see a mind boggling difference on a 426. Some folks think that if they can twist the throttle from zero to full throttle without hesitation while the bike sits on the stand, they have it tuned properly. This is not always achievable and certainly not required.

There is mountains of discussion in the TT archives on the merits of proper accelerator pump action. I personally have tuned my son's and my 250F with smaller leak jets and have achieved good results.

That about says it all! Lessening the pump shot also minimizes flooding and starting issues. Who cares about what happens on the stand, can you get it to bog in gear under load while in the correct gear for that speed? If not, ride on.

• Batmandog

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:15 AM

That about says it all! Lessening the pump shot also minimizes flooding and starting issues. Who cares about what happens on the stand, can you get it to bog in gear under load while in the correct gear for that speed? If not, ride on.

Finally somone says the obvious ! I was starting to worry that I wasn't riding hard enough because I never experienced "the bog" while actually riding the bike !

• Batmandog

Posted February 28, 2006 - 09:16 AM

Finally someone states the obvious ! I was starting to worry that I wasn't riding hard enough because I never experienced "the bog" while actually riding the bike !

• obxnc

Posted February 28, 2006 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for all of the quick responses.. I guess I will try messing with it and see what the difference between no AP shot and a full AP squirt. Then find the happy medium with the best results and go from there.. I do understand the possibilities of the flooding at the factory settings (man that was alot of gas!!)

If nothing else, this is an awesome forum with tons of great information..

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.