Which GPS?

32 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:37 PM

I'm runnin the 60c with the Ram mount... The 60c is the little brother of the 60cs but the battery life is longer on the 60c. I've had some big get offs on my bike breaking two Garmin 60c's, Garmin has replaced them both at no charge... Regardless of the model and features you're looking for, buy a Garmin for their great customer service as well as their great products....

Just my opinion...

• Captain Bob

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:02 PM

It looks like a Garmin is the way to go. Do I really need all the mapping features? I just want one that can show me the way back to the truck if I get lost. Distance covered and MPH would be nice too. There are too many choices.

I got a Garmin Etrex LegendC for Christmas to hang on my WR for trail riding. it is color and has all the functions you are looking for. The manual is not the easiest thing to figure out but I eventually got through it. I bought Garmin's Topo maps software (from Amazon.com) for the complete US which I downloaded into my Etrex. It works really well. I recommend it highly. :thumbsup:

Bob

• Ingo

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:06 AM

I just ordered my Garmin 76Cx. Accoring to African Stuff the original 76C is the one they use for the Paris-Dakar race. If you want something that can take the punishment then this might be your best bet. The Cx is the new model.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:40 AM

I have got a Garmin ETrex. There are several models in the Etrex family, but any of them will do. If you want color (which I personally don't need or use), then get the legend c.

They have several black and white models, which do the same things. After a day riding in the desert, the last thing on my mind is "color".

The GPS basic features is all I use. I mark my points (truck, destinations, points of interest) and the basic features will show me where I am in relation to those things. You may need it to find you way back. I have only "needed" it once. It was worth the money.

Pick up a Garmin Etrex off of ebay. No need to buy a new one for the dirt bike.

Regarding the battery thing... yes, the vibrations will cause it to shut off. I bought all of the external battery supply things and it still turned off, especially after going over rocks. Then i realized that I never read it while I am moving. When stopped, I hit one button on the side and it shows me where I am in which direction to go. It as a big "arrow" that points me back to the direction of my truck.

I have the Ram mount from cycoactive.com. It is right on top of my bar where I can get to it. After a couple of pretty impressive tumbles down some steep hills, the gps is there and protected. I keep a couple of extra batteries in my backpack. They seem to eat batteries (another reason to keep it turned off)

They should make these things standard on all bikes.

• RaphFoFiddy

Posted March 25, 2006 - 12:33 PM

Not one person has even refereed to the Magellan Explorist series...
Now this will be my first GPS purchase so you can bet I'm doing allot of reading and although Garmin units are water proof it says nothing about impact protection. Anyone have feedback on the Magellan explorist 500 or 600?

• rockieman

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:34 PM

Garmin 60csx with with touratech mount works real good for me.http://www.cycoactive.com/
Their back ordered, bot IMO worth the wait.

This is the one I just bought.... check out ebay. I bought mine (factory sealed) for $100 under retail.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baha

Posted March 25, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Look at the Magellan Explorist XL or 400, Make sure whatever you buy it can take a SD card and Topo maps. Screen size and accuracy points to magellan, ease of use and aftermarket items points to Garmin, for the money you can't beat the RAM mount.

• RaphFoFiddy

Posted March 26, 2006 - 06:03 AM

Look at the Magellan Explorist XL or 400, Make sure whatever you buy it can take a SD card and Topo maps. Screen size and accuracy points to magellan, ease of use and aftermarket items points to Garmin, for the money you can't beat the RAM mount.

I was looking at the 600 because of the barometric monitor, it's nice that if your 30-50 miles from camp you tell if a storm is moving in. but the 400, 500, 600 all have the SD card upgrade-ability. I've almost written off the XL it's too bulky (6.5" tall) and uses standard alkaline batteries instead of the rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery like the other explorist models. So you have to throw away allot of batteries unless you go rechargeable and then your lucky to get 60% of the battery life of a standard battery.

I initially started to look at the Garmins (the cs60) but I'm thinking that antenna is just begging to be caught on heavy brush and catastophicly seperated from the bike mount.

• baha

Posted March 26, 2006 - 12:17 PM

I am using a meridian gold with a 128 MB card, I left off the points of intrest and that made it possiable to download the entire state of califiornia and well over half of nevada, I have the lighter adapter for my truck and plan on hardwiring for the bike. 2 AA will easily last two full days of riding.

I know alot like the Garmin and I have used my buddies, I just find the Magellans to pick up better in storms as well as forrest. I like the bigger screens as well and that is why if I were to buy today it would have been a XL. I have been to the east coast and see why you would like a 600 but that is a non issue here. We know the weather a week in advance with 90% accuracy and will go months of blue sky/ no rain.

Magellan are a better product IMO, but there is nothing wrong with Garmin

• RaphFoFiddy

Posted March 26, 2006 - 12:58 PM

I have been to the east coast and see why you would like a 600 but that is a non issue here. We know the weather a week in advance with 90% accuracy and will go months of blue sky/ no rain.

Magellan are a better product IMO, but there is nothing wrong with Garmin

I think Mark Twain said it best:
"If you don't like the weather in New England, just wait a few minutes."

I'm hearing lots stellar things about Garmin GPS's customer support. Although I only heard on review of Magellan's CS it was horrific. Any feedback on thier level of customer/product support?
I'm starting to wish Casio would make a G-shock GPS unit (seriously it survived Boot, AIT, and My pit's teething stage).

• Bungerjoe

Posted March 26, 2006 - 01:17 PM

I have a 2006 TRX450ER Honda quad. Any idea on mounting a GPS on one of these and is one better than the other for the particular bike I have?

Also i read that there is a bouncing/vibration problem with batteries in some GPS so it is recommended to wire it to the bike if possible. Can this be done on my quad?

Joe

• GCannon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:49 AM

I have Magellan Meridian very big screen easy to read when going fast the Ram mount works great no problems and price is right. The real Key to the whole GPS thing is mapping software National Geographic TOPO make routes and way points for turn offs. then down load the stuff to the GPS this make planning big rides easier and makes riding new places a lot better ( finding stuff) the mapping software that comes with the Garmin is not very detailed and Garmin usb cable GPS have some bugs with the TOPO software check with the Lizard Lady on GPS stuff for dirt bikes, also CYCOACTIVE.

• GCannon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 11:12 AM

I have the Magellan Meridian Big screen easy to see when going fast. Ram mount works great. and the price is right. The most important thing that makes a GPS a big advantage it mapping software with this you can plan routes and waypoints for rides where you have never been to an have a much better ride. The national Geographic TOPO works great ( added expense) the Garmin mapping software is not as detailed. also the USB cable Garmin GPS have a bug which make them difficult to use with TOPO Check out Lizard Lady and Cycoactive for more info GPS'S used with dirt bikes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.