Which GPS?

32 replies to this topic
  • 642MX

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:07 PM

I spent the last hour using the search feature and found some good info, but most of it was pretty dated. I want to purchase a GPS for trail riding and finding riding areas. I need to figure out how to mount it also. What do you all recommend? And where is the best place to buy these things?

• Gorby

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Garmin in the king of GPS. check out thier website.

• bwsully1

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Garmin CS60 with RAM mount. Buy or down load software from GPScity.com
its appears to be the easiest to use and has some very cool functions. Just remember whatever you buy use the lanyard provided, its very costly not to........... 15 minutes into a ride and the front end cables knocked it out, it hit the ground and split the case open. food for thought..............have fun not getting lost.....................

• OneToGo

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Garmin CS60 with RAM mount. Buy or down load software from GPScity.com
its appears to be the easiest to use and has some very cool functions. Just remember whatever you buy use the lanyard provided, its very costly not to........... 15 minutes into a ride and the front end cables knocked it out, it hit the ground and split the case open. food for thought..............have fun not getting lost.....................

I also hear the Garmin Xtrack? Vista is also good, very popular on mountain bikes and not big. Newer ones come with colour displays and downloadable maps and for (stationary) map reading, a very handy compass feature. The mounts fit to Mtn bikes so sould be OK for offroad.
Likewise, check the Garmin wbsite.
Colin

• heinzee

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Garmin 60csx with with touratech mount works real good for me.http://www.cycoactive.com/
Their back ordered, bot IMO worth the wait.

• heinzee

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:32 PM

U can also check http://www.advrider.com/forums/
lots of useful info.

• boer

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:11 PM

I also hear the Garmin Xtrack? Vista is also good, very popular on mountain bikes and not big. Newer ones come with colour displays and downloadable maps and for (stationary) map reading, a very handy compass feature. The mounts fit to Mtn bikes so sould be OK for offroad.
Likewise, check the Garmin wbsite.
Colin

I can second that. :thumbsup: I have an old etrex vista without the colour screen. I have had it for 4 years and never had a day of problems. I have not mounted it to the bike yet but plan on doing this in the near future. It is small and versatile, can be used anywhere at anytime. It has been everywhere with me :thumbsup:

• Seabass

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Enduro Engineering makes a really slick bracket for those that run fat bars. Most of the Tourtech mounts go on the cross bar mount.

• byggd

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:22 AM

I have read that Garmin sometimes lose battery contact when riding in rough stuff. I have a Magellan and have never had that problem. I think they all work well if mounted properly.
http://www.magellang...asp?PRODID=1016

• 642MX

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:48 PM

It looks like a Garmin is the way to go. Do I really need all the mapping features? I just want one that can show me the way back to the truck if I get lost. Distance covered and MPH would be nice too. There are too many choices.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tsk350

Posted February 28, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Any Garmen is a good choice, depending on if you are able to talk your friends into getting a gps unit as well I recommend the rino series by Garmin they have FRS as well as your regular functions. So that means you have a radio to communicate between friends on your ride or if you become separated. They also have a awesome little feature for when you want to track your friends, all you do is push a little button and there location in relevance to you shows up on the screen (great if you have kids). Now the price range is from $150 for the Rino 120 to $500 for the Rino 530 (has 14 mile range for FRS). The 530 is full color and has a ton of memory for all your down load of maps. I have the 530 and have not had a bit of trouble, I use it in the truck to get to the spot where I want to ride and then strap it to the bike and off I go. When I ride with my buddys I hook up my hands free unit and we talk all the way down the trail. I cant say enough about the unit its great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 01, 2006 - 06:44 AM

One thing to consider if you are going to ride organized events is what format they use. Out here on the west coast most of the dual sport events are set up to download in Garmin format. The problem is they use tracklogs. Apparently Magellan and Garmin use different methods of storing track and route data which are not easily interchangeable. If you want to be able to receive downloads at an event do yourself a favor and select a unit that is compatible with what they are using in your area. I started out with an Etrex Legend and while adequate it has a couple of shortcomings. The screen is really too small to read easily while riding and the joystick difficult to operate with gloves on. I then went to a GPS V which was a huge improvement. Nice size screen (though still B&W) and the rocker pad is much easier to operate. Overall I was pretty happy with it. I recently sold the V and upgraded to a 60C (Amazon sale $249 :thumbsup: ). The color screen is very nice and the processor speed is miles better than the older units. For the money it's hard to beat the GPS V which is currently ~$250 and includes City Select which you don't get with the other units and costs $125. If cost is not a big concern then I would recommend one of the 60 or 76 series units.

• AHRMA17L

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Garmin 60CS or 76CS. Basically the same, but the 76 has more memory.

I understand Garmin is coming out with some sort of Super GPS, but the 76CS and 60CS are starting to come way down in price and are excellent for off road use. I think I saw the 76CS for $375 on line somewhere and the 60CS for around $290. Amazon was selling the 60CS for $250 right before Christmas.

• joshbeene

Posted March 01, 2006 - 11:45 AM

I have the Garmin E-trex vista. I am very happy with it and I would highly reccomend it. Don't get the color one because it limits your memory, and wears out the batteries very fast. I have a soft case I bought at Best Buy that I zip tied onto the front of my chest protector for easy acess. The batteries on any unit will sometimes loose contact so I check mine ofter to make sure it is on. They aslo turn off when you get into heavily forrested areas and loose satelite receiption. I also have the bar mount, but only use it when I am looking for a specific trail and need to look at it alot.

• kenmcl

Posted March 01, 2006 - 02:30 PM

Any Garmen is a good choice, depending on if you are able to talk your friends into getting a gps unit as well I recommend the rino series by Garmin they have FRS as well as your regular functions. So that means you have a radio to communicate between friends on your ride or if you become separated. They also have a awesome little feature for when you want to track your friends, all you do is push a little button and there location in relevance to you shows up on the screen (great if you have kids). Now the price range is from $150 for the Rino 120 to $500 for the Rino 530 (has 14 mile range for FRS). The 530 is full color and has a ton of memory for all your down load of maps. I have the 530 and have not had a bit of trouble, I use it in the truck to get to the spot where I want to ride and then strap it to the bike and off I go. When I ride with my buddys I hook up my hands free unit and we talk all the way down the trail. I cant say enough about the unit its great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk:

what hands free equipment do you use?

• 642MX

Posted March 01, 2006 - 05:00 PM

I have the Garmin E-trex vista. I am very happy with it and I would highly reccomend it. Don't get the color one because it limits your memory, and wears out the batteries very fast. I have a soft case I bought at Best Buy that I zip tied onto the front of my chest protector for easy acess. The batteries on any unit will sometimes loose contact so I check mine ofter to make sure it is on. They aslo turn off when you get into heavily forrested areas and loose satelite receiption. I also have the bar mount, but only use it when I am looking for a specific trail and need to look at it alot.

Which bar mount do you have?

• 642MX

Posted March 01, 2006 - 05:39 PM

I think I'm going to buy this one. GPSMAP 60 It looks to be about $250. Now I need to find a mount. I have Pro Taper bars and would like something that mounts close to the bar pad, any ideas?

• steve lemley

Posted March 01, 2006 - 08:53 PM

If you want to track your rides and display them on google earth and add notes, pin points and even do complete flyovers of your whole ride after you get home and send all your riding buddies the file to do the exact same check out these new tracking devises complete with no monthy fees and all the software needed. www.trackstick.com. Awesome, I have one and its great I ride and post the file on the internet after I get home so everyone who rode with me can see too.

• Humunn

Posted March 02, 2006 - 06:52 AM

I and several of my riding buddies are running the Garmin GPSMap 60C and have been using it for the last couple years. I run multi day routes all over central Oregon and just got back from a 5 day ride in Baja where it worked great. I use the RAM mount. Not sure about the other mounts. Whatever unit you get hardwire it directly to your bike, if you can. Otherwise the batteries and terminal connections can be a bit tempermental. I do not have an e-start bike so I am running my gps on batteries and it works fine...there are tricks to keep it from shorting out due to vibration.

• niikkos

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:26 PM

I use an etrex and it works great, there is a battery connection problem on ruff trails, take some duct tape and put it around the batteries, sisce doing so I have never had a propbem. I use a RAM mount, use a zip tie to keep the cables out of the way or when your forks compress the cables will go around your new GPS and mount and rip them off your bars.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.