XR650R or L shorter seat

7 replies to this topic
  • dblover4ever86

Posted February 27, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I have a xr650l that is too tall. I have read all the post on the lowering link and on a corbin seat. I was looking for a less expensive route like cutting the preexisting foam. Has anyone done this before? Is there any cheaper lower seats out there?

• ghoti

Posted February 27, 2006 - 02:27 PM

I didn't remove any foam, I added some in between the foam and seat pan. It's pretty easy to do. You could slice off some foam with a razor blade.

• kelleyseiler

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Man this seat is a real ass buster! I think the $89.00 for a performance design link is the way to go if you want to walk the same after your done riding :thumbsup:

• justicedone

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Dont mess with the seat, you will be sorry. You could add a rear lowering link and drop the fork tubes a bit to match. I just put the link on my rear, lowered about an inch. I didnt lower the front since I am running a Teraflex, the rear was already an inch at least higher than stock. So now its a lil lower.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TahomaTom

Posted February 28, 2006 - 01:24 PM

The guy that cut down my friends seat used a regular old breadknife with a sregated edge. He had a shop full of tools but said nothing he ever tried worked better.

Personnally I would get the link. He has a WR and his seat is so hard.

• CrackiN

Posted February 28, 2006 - 05:33 PM

I've cut 2 seats down....The seat cover is held on with staples that you can replace with a heavy duty staple gun....Pull off the seat cover starting at the back and leave the front attached. I used an electric craving knife...Nothing works better....Shave off about an inch at a time until you are satified. Get the foam as smooth as possible before putting the cover back on because any high or low spots will show. You really need an extra set of hand to stretch and hold the cover while you staple it...

• gnarly sprockets

Posted March 01, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Gel it.

I got the gel here:

There's enough for 2 seats

• grovesracing

Posted March 04, 2006 - 12:06 PM

can someone help me with a link to the service manuals for the 01 xr650r. I have a oil leak in the top end.
D-37 Dez's

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.