Fork swap

3 replies to this topic
  • daddyk

Posted February 26, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi folks, I just picked up an street plated 89 xr600 Seems to be in excellent shape. The PO started it with two kicks but I thought I'd made a mistake when I got it home and kicked my self to death trying to start it like a two stroke. I've got the drill down to,usually, 2-3 kicks to get it going. My question is this: are the later model cartridge forks worth swapping to or would valving the dampner rod ones be just as good? If the cartridge are best do you need the later wheel,brake, clamp etc or will the forks bolt straight in. Thanks

• targetdrone

Posted February 26, 2006 - 09:38 PM

They went to a larger axle in '91...I believe. There are cartridge emulators available, but I don't know how good they are. It would probably be much cheaper than forks, wheel, and an axle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • daddyk

Posted February 26, 2006 - 10:37 PM

I was afraid of that. It was a deal on *bay. Revalved and resprung forks for a plus a fork brace for 150. I haven't even had it off road yet so I suppose I should try it out first before I start changing things. After reading up on things here I did pull the flapper of the choke plate. Still seems to start OK. Here in So Cal. it shouldn't get to cold so half a choke might work, might be a problem in the desert.Thanks for the response

• cleonard

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:58 AM

It's not just the flapper, it's the whole plate too. I just had the carb off of my 93 XR600, and the plate had a big crack in it. Another 2 or 3 mm and it would have been sucked into the enigne. I took it out completely. I've only gone for one ride since. It started OK. If it's a real bear to start when it's cold out, I'll get one of the aftermarket replacement choke plates.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.