Need New WR400 Exhaust System

7 replies to this topic
  • 2tall2tall

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:18 PM

I have a 2000 WR400 that I bought new and love the bike. I have almost 9K miles on it with no problems whatsoever, (mostly mean single track)
I presently have a White Bros tapered head pipe and E series muffler. I have restuffed the muffler and installed a quiet core insert, but it is still too loud, (98db) but I love the power it makes. Other mods are YZ timing, gray wire, etc, etc. I really hate to remove the exhaust for something quieter, but I guess it is a sign of the times. Sure would like to keep the White Bros. tapered head pipe. Any suggestions???

• fershy

Posted February 26, 2006 - 05:59 PM

1.Buy a stock wr exhaust. or....
2. Buy my Big Gun complete system with spark arrestor, extra competition core baffle and a two headers for $250.00
3. or get used to it!

• 2tall2tall

Posted February 28, 2006 - 07:43 PM

Personally, the noise doesn't bother me at all, but some of the people I ride with have been whining. How come you are selling the Big Gun System?

• fershy

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:22 PM

I am getting ready to sell the bike and I figure it would be beneficial financially to sell it separately rather than with the bike. It works quite nicely over the stock system. Much stronger mid to top range. Just make sure you repack after every 6-8 rides. I am amazed at how quickly thse four strokes eat the packing in comparison to the two strokers. Much hotter exhaust temperatures. ps see the parts and accessories in the classifieds to see the for sale ad. ($250 complete with an extra header to boot.)
fershy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve lemley

Posted February 28, 2006 - 08:46 PM

Ive got a stock system with the baffle removed and a big flow tip and sparkarrester. Best you can do with the stock system for flow. i also have a turndown for the tip to direct the sound down. A little louder than stock but my dual sport club has never said a word about the noise. Its good. Ill trade you for your set up and pay for both the shippings!!! PM me if you are interested. In any case good luck in your search and let us know what you decide.

Posted Image

• 2tall2tall

Posted March 02, 2006 - 03:34 PM

My 2nd bike is a 2002 WR426 that is totally stock. The factory exhaust is pretty quiet but really robs the power. Makes me appreciate my 2000 WR400! I guess I'm spoiled with the White Bros. pipe and header on the 400. With the White Bros unit, I re-stuffed it, put in a quiet core insert and an outer shroud for the rear discs and got it down to 95/97dba, at elevated idle rpm. What is the best type of stuffing to use? Is twice as much stuffing better yet? Has anybody tried a billet end caps on the White Bros unit? Did you ever get any sound tests with the Big Gun Unit?

• Captain Bob

Posted March 02, 2006 - 07:02 PM

My 2nd bike is a 2002 WR426 that is totally stock. The factory exhaust is pretty quiet but really robs the power. Makes me appreciate my 2000 WR400! I guess I'm spoiled with the White Bros. pipe and header on the 400. With the White Bros unit, I re-stuffed it, put in a quiet core insert and an outer shroud for the rear discs and got it down to 95/97dba, at elevated idle rpm. What is the best type of stuffing to use? Is twice as much stuffing better yet? Has anybody tried a billet end caps on the White Bros unit? Did you ever get any sound tests with the Big Gun Unit?

I have a 99 WR400 with a YZ exhaust. Bike has also been YZ timed and jetted. I also have the "loud" problem. I purchases a Promotobillet insert and tried it out. It was only $40 and it quieted the bike right down. Now, once inside the woods 100 feet you cannot hear the bike. It has softened the power hit a just a little bit which actually works out better in the tight rocky new england single track we have here. This may be your cheapest alternative. The bike still rips fine! The softening of the power hit is no big deal.

Hope this helps!

Bob

• 2tall2tall

Posted March 03, 2006 - 08:46 PM

The promotobillett seems to be the way to go. Where did you get yours?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.