YZ450F or WR450???

17 replies to this topic
  • AgentZ

Posted February 26, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I am torn on which bike to buy. I have spent the last four years riding a YZ250 in the deserts of California, so I am used to riding a "MotoCross" bike as opposed to an "OffRoad" bike. I am sure I want to make the jump to a four stroke I am just torn on which bike will best suit my needs.

Like I said most of my riding is in the desert, I do split my time between hard pack and deep sand so I need a bike that can handle the abuses of riding the dunes while still being plenty capable in the hardpack.

I have studied up on all the specs of both bikes but it is tough to make the final call. I will be buying something in the next week or so and wanted to hear any advice the forum might be able to give.

• marcusmoberg

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:09 PM

If you are used to riding a motocross bike then get the YZ450F!

It's got plenty of horsepower and faster than the YZ250!

If you want top speed then get the WR450 and if you ride in tight woods or trails!

Either way you will be getting an awesome bike! :thumbsup:

• DCaddy

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Does a green sticker matter? If it does then plan on doing all the modifications to your WR to make it run properly,not the toughest thing to do. If not then you can kick start the YZ and, oh yea, you can't run it at night. Good luck with your choice.

• Yamaster

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:15 PM

I would get the yzf only if it were an 06, because 03-05 were only 4 speeds. The wr is a good bike but if you race desert and are used to a mx bike I would get the 06 yzf450. And all you need to do is go up one tooth on the countershaft and you'll be good for top speed.

• AgentZ

Posted February 26, 2006 - 05:51 PM

I don't race at all.. other than screwing around with my friends and maybe running the sand drags out at Glamis. Which is why I am torn, it would seem that the WR is a better all around bike, or at least that is what I gather just from reading. I have not had the oppurtunity to ride either bike which makes the decision even harder.

• Matty05

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:09 PM

06 YZ450 way to go, but the '05 YZ450's are great too.

The wr450 is sooooooooooo heavy compared to the YZ's, The WR250 is even way too fat.

The WR450 does have it's advantages, which is riding on the road. That's what I got mine for. For now, next bike I get will be a YZ, but new WR aluminium frame might be sweet too........

• AgentZ

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I never really ride on roads, just out in the desert. Based on what I am hearing I am start to sway towards the YZ. The weight of the WR has been one of the big draw backs to going that way, but the electric start sure would be nice.

• WheelsUp

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:35 PM

If I were to replace my '05 WR250F, it would be with a WR450F.
Socal Dez, north of Glamis plus Ocotillo.

It's nice to be able to cruise service roads at 55-60 without having the engine wound out.

• Matty05

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:49 PM

It is piss easy to kick over the 4 bangers with auto decomp. Not as easy as the 2 strokes, but very easy indeed. E-start is good, but definately not necessary.

Just a gearing change and a bigger tank is needed, but this is needed on the WR's also.
This is very cheap compared to what you have to do to a WR to get it worthy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaster

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:14 PM

The yz would be better for the dunes but might tire you out more. My stock wr did great at sand mountain and I even beat a crf450 up the hill... I got it for the green sticker. We were looking at the yz426, which would have been my choice if I got a used bike, but we the wr and are very happy. I used to have a 95 Yz250 but I sold to get the wr. Either way you will be happy. If you are just screwin around the wr might be nice, but if you race or even if you just wanna get big air, the yz is the way to go.

• AgentZ

Posted March 04, 2006 - 10:08 PM

To all who posted to my question. I want to thank everybody for some good advice, this was not an easy decision. I picked up my 06 WR450 This morning and took it for a short ride as soon as I got it off my truck. I am extremely happy and can't wait to get some of the free mods done because the bike even bone stock shows some very great promise.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 05, 2006 - 01:40 AM

Oh man... if you're extremely happy now, just wait until after you do the free mods!
Right now you're riding a WR350F :thumbsup:

• Beejay

Posted March 05, 2006 - 03:43 AM

Wise choice, congrats & happy riding :thumbsup:

• DCaddy

Posted March 06, 2006 - 09:55 PM

Don't just do the free mods...for under $200 you can get JD jets, PMB insert and a AIS removal kit. I live on a short street, but the front end came up in the first 3 gears that I tried. Had to pull it up prior to this....it just didn't have that pop. Can't wait to take it to the hills. You'll see!
BTW Its all easy to do, I am not a bike mechanic by any means, but reading TT can make you feel like one. All the information you need is just a search away. You will appreciate the elec. start too after a long days ride.

• odonnks

Posted March 07, 2006 - 03:37 AM

Good Job !
After deciding I wanted a Yamaha, I had a tough decision between the YZ and WR too.
I sometimes ride at night and that was the decision maker !
The WR is awsome!

• twenty34

Posted March 07, 2006 - 06:47 PM

Can I ask what you paid OTD and which dealer?
thanks!

To all who posted to my question. I want to thank everybody for some good advice, this was not an easy decision. I picked up my 06 WR450 This morning and took it for a short ride as soon as I got it off my truck. I am extremely happy and can't wait to get some of the free mods done because the bike even bone stock shows some very great promise.

• AgentZ

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:43 PM

My strategy when making any large purchase is to shop around. With the bike as with my cars, I found the lowest price I could find for a new bike in the cycle trader and online, I then wrote a generic e-mail asking about 14 different dealerships if they could beat that low price. I got about 5 responses, of those the best deal was from Bert's Mega Mall in Azusa for $6499 out the door.

If you are thinking about buying I will give you my sales guys information, he was extremely helpful and got me a pretty good deal with very little hassle.

• twenty34

Posted March 07, 2006 - 08:43 PM

Yea, I paid that back in Dec, but have been hearing the prices have been coming down a bit. I was really interested to hear what ppl are paying for the YZ450.

thanks for the tips.

My strategy when making any large purchase is to shop around. With the bike as with my cars, I found the lowest price I could find for a new bike in the cycle trader and online, I then wrote a generic e-mail asking about 14 different dealerships if they could beat that low price. I got about 5 responses, of those the best deal was from Bert's Mega Mall in Azusa for $6499 out the door.

If you are thinking about buying I will give you my sales guys information, he was extremely helpful and got me a pretty good deal with very little hassle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.