Glowing header pipe

3 replies to this topic
  • uplate

Posted February 26, 2006 - 01:25 AM

Took my new 06 YZ450 up and down the street today for a little break-in ride and noticed that the header was glowing red. My 400 only did that when the timing was off due to a worn out cam chain. Is this normal, a result of the lean stock jetting, or ?

• BergArabia

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:06 AM

My 05 always glows if I let it run for a few minutes without riding.
I think it is just a yamaha thang..

Well I guess that is probably enough. You get the idea..

Man that search tool is cool... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fizz

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:45 AM

perhaps someone should put the most common questions into a FAQ?

• ovrrdrive

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:52 AM

If you haven't fooled with the jetting yet, I'd say you're still pretty lean.

Some glowing is normal if you let the bike idle too long. But if you're glowing red while you're riding it you are either too lean or have an air leak somewhere.

And yes, this is the most commonly asked question on the forum. However, I think it's dismissed much too routinely as completely normal where in fact there are several situations that exacerbate the condition. I installed my hot start wrong once and got the glowing red condition because I was way too lean. If I had asked here and gotten the instant 20 replies that it was completely normal I would still be rebuilding the engine.

There is a difference between the normal "idling too long glowing orange" condition and the "too lean glowing red" condition.

Stock jetting is way too lean and gave me a glowing red header too. Start with the fuel screw and go from there.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.