Glowing Header Pipe

11 replies to this topic
  • gdm

Posted February 25, 2006 - 09:17 PM

I just finished removing the AIS, rejetting and all the other free mods. Huge difference, the bike rips! I was a little concerned when the header pipe was glowing cherry red in the garage after I started it up. I am assuming this is normal. Is it? Any feedback appreciated.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted February 25, 2006 - 09:21 PM

normal

• odonnks

Posted February 27, 2006 - 04:29 PM

I noticed the same with mine today in teh garage.
Its only three days old and the only mods I've done so far are:
Remove air box snorkle
Shortened the throttle stop.
It did it at choked idle only after a few minutes of run time.
Since I did nothing to effect the mixture (at idle the removed snorkle should make no difference) I was not too concerned.

• Sleeperdrz

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Perfectly normal. Don't let it idle to long ,it has no cooling fan.

• dl19

Posted February 27, 2006 - 08:42 PM

05 -Must be normal as I idled mine stock and it too glowed red, on fast idle the entire header was red until about two inches in front of the muffler joint. Seems to run fine, but will need a little tweaking for my area. A friends YZF450 boiled over in less then a couple minutes at idle. I will just shut it off a lot instead of idling for conversations. It fires right up with the kick, so no worrys so far. I will check back on this after I get it jetted correctly or as good as I can.

• Numskull

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:22 PM

Yes My pipe looked like molten metel when ideling in the garage. :thumbsup: I was still concerned about it even after reading it was normal, but today I had a blast driving my bike around in 60 degree whether. When driving it today the pipe wasnt glowing.

They make this header out of extreamly thin metal because it creates acoustics that helps the exhaust flow(more HP). Cold whether causes the bike to run lean, creating alot more heat at the exhaust port. Ad these factors together and you will have a cherry bomb :bonk:

I wouldnt sit around to long gawking at the red pipe :thumbsup: I have decided cause of this, I will be warming my bike up on the go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 27, 2006 - 11:35 PM

After about 5 zillion posts on this question, I wonder if we could get this put up as a sticky.

• olson_jr

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:05 PM

Has it only been five zillion posts, I must have lost count.

• WildRide

Posted March 03, 2006 - 05:23 PM

I started up my WR in the garage last night and let it idle for about an hour, next thing I know my pipe melted into a lump on the floor. The concrete is still warm today, has anybody else had this happen? Maybe I will do a search and see if the overflowing coolant will cool down the floor a little.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 04, 2006 - 11:11 PM

I started up my WR in the garage last night and let it idle for about an hour, next thing I know my pipe melted into a lump on the floor. The concrete is still warm today, has anybody else had this happen? Maybe I will do a search and see if the overflowing coolant will cool down the floor a little.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :eek: :eek: Dude, dont do a search, that would be too easy. Just make a post about it like every other day, that seems to be much much easier.

• 426boy

Posted March 05, 2006 - 05:47 PM

totally normal dont let it idle to long though it will boil

• Kepy

Posted March 06, 2006 - 12:10 PM

This post RULEZ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk: I am still laughing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.