Hanging idle

10 replies to this topic
  • kpi103

Posted February 25, 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hi, just got done rejetting my 450. I have a 170 main, and a 48 pilot. Was going to put a 75 starter jet in also, but the dealer gave me the wrong one ( Too big). Anyway, bike seems to run excellent,except I have a hanging idle. So first thought was my pilot system is still too lean. It is really cold here right now (30-40 degrees) and my elevation is around 1000 feet. Should I go bigger? The strange part is if I pull the choke the idle shoots up like I pulled the hot start. &%$#@!? I would've thought the idle would've dropped. I've had the fuel screw closed and in 1/4 turn increments opened it up to 3 turns with no difference in the hanging idle. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Fastest1

Posted February 25, 2006 - 05:48 PM

Did you change the pilot? If so , go back to the last one you ran. Sounds like it is still lean, any popping on deceleration?

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Check for an air leak, then check your valve clearance for tight intakes.

• kpi103

Posted February 25, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the tip on the valve clearances, I'll check them tomorrow hopefully. The choke thing is really confusing me a little, and the bike doesn't really have any popping on decel. I know its cold here, but anything bigger then a 48 just seems to big to me. I cecked for intake leaks and found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• aford541

Posted February 25, 2006 - 09:47 PM

Hi, just got done rejetting my 450. I have a 170 main, and a 48 pilot. Was going to put a 75 starter jet in also, but the dealer gave me the wrong one ( Too big). Anyway, bike seems to run excellent,except I have a hanging idle. So first thought was my pilot system is still too lean. It is really cold here right now (30-40 degrees) and my elevation is around 1000 feet. Should I go bigger? The strange part is if I pull the choke the idle shoots up like I pulled the hot start. &%$#@!? I would've thought the idle would've dropped. I've had the fuel screw closed and in 1/4 turn increments opened it up to 3 turns with no difference in the hanging idle. Any suggestions? Thanks

Check the adjustment of the throttle cables also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Id say check the valves. I had the hanging idle and a valve adjustment took care of it.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 26, 2006 - 05:21 PM

also try backing down the idle. If you have it to high, it will surge.

• kpi103

Posted February 26, 2006 - 05:37 PM

Didn't get a chance to check clearances yet, but I will this week sometime. Bike probably only has 5+ hours on it, but I was going to check them soon anyway. Does my jetting sound about right? Guess I'll just have to see what the clearances look like and go from there. Thanks for all of your input so far.

• PK

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:22 PM

Is this on an 2006 bike?

• DaveJ

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:24 PM

also try backing down the idle. If you have it to high, it will surge.

This is true, which also brings up a very good point.

This engine runs on fuel. In other words, in order for the idle to go up, additional fuel has to be going into the engine and that means that you don't have to look any further than the source itself - the carb.

Now, when the slide of the carb is closed, (an idle setting) an engine can still rev if it can find additional air from a source other than under the slide. When this extra air is present, additional fuel can be drawn up from the idle or pilot circuit even when the slide is in an idle position. So yes, an air leak can cause an engine to idle high. Common sources are cracked boots around the choke and hot start levers.

But I think you're problem is an idle or pilot circuit that is too rich, which would follow suit with the colder air and the higher altitude.

With the bike fully warmed, you may want to turn in the fuel mixture screw and then reset the idle as necessary. If this does not remedy the matter, lower the pilot jet until you can get an adjustable range from the fuel screw.

• yam 3

Posted May 02, 2006 - 12:28 PM

I was wondering if you fixed the problem yet? Mine does the same thing??

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.