DRZ400 - cruising speed

6 replies to this topic
  • stevek

Posted May 25, 2001 - 08:58 AM

Hello,
I current ride a CBR600 and am looking for something that I can use to play in fields at the weekend, but still use to commute to work through rush hour.
I read that the DRZ400S is the best dual around at the moment, and love the pictures and stories I've seen.
My only question is about what top speed I can do on the motorway. I'm not looking for sportsbike performance, I'm looking for a comfortable 70-80 mph, is this possible?
Thanks,
Steve

• RR@ARS

Posted May 25, 2001 - 10:11 AM

In stock form, the S will cruise at 75-80mph top out at about 95mph. However, at these speeds on the highway, I wouldn't want to ride real far. The bike is not meant for this primarily and can be a little twitchy.

• Jeff-inSD

Posted May 25, 2001 - 10:31 AM

I changed to a 42 rear sprocket and I have been up to 90 MPH with reserve. After that its too skitish. Im also getting 55 MPG with a 150/27.5 jetting Air box opened pipe mod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rparks

Posted May 25, 2001 - 12:57 PM

If it has too much headshake at high speeds, invest in a Scotts Steering Stabilizer. It is money well spent!

• Jeff-inSD

Posted May 27, 2001 - 06:50 AM

I do have a Scotts damper but it won't help on the freeway! Rain grooves------ Also, if I were to tighten it down there would be no play to turn slow. The bike just wasn't designed to go fast on the road.

• Nick

Posted May 27, 2001 - 08:15 AM

I traded in my Honda Hornet 600 for a DRZ 400s about 7 months ago,i use it for green laning and commuting.I would say it cruises at about 70mph with alot more in reserve for overtaking.Its' ability off road isn't in question but i think it's underrated as a road bike, around town and up to about 60mph,sports bikes are easy prey! I have more fun riding to work than i ever did on my hornet.Buy one you wont regret it!!!

• DevilSpawn

Posted May 27, 2001 - 02:39 PM

I agree with the last post. This bike is perfect for me on the road. I cruise the highway at 80 with no shaking or instability at all, its a blast! That does change a bit if you put on a true knobbie tire however.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Need help diagnosing rough idle problem by richdiggins

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ 400 lower footpegs at last by vinco

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

what's the most comfortabe seat/seat mod for DRZ400 by the doog

• Hot  107 replies
Forums
Photo
Nevada

MY BIKE WAS STOLEN LAST NIGHT…. 9/1-2/2014 Las Vegas. by ARMRD X

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southwest
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

FCR 39mm Carb from TT store - Question by Chubs604

• Hot  58 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.