Just bought 06 450

14 replies to this topic
  • vtownrida

Posted February 25, 2006 - 11:38 AM

So I thought I would never make the transition to a four stroke....I bought my 2002 yz250 brand new and loved it. Well, my buddy just bought a brand new 06 crf450, i hoped on that and now I am a true believer of the 4 strokes. I bleed blue, so I'm hoping for the same wow factor when my yz450f arrives next week. Called dealers around the country and found one for 6199 + 20 paperwork + 150 to ship.....i think that's a pretty good deal from what i've read on the forums!

• RAMARION

Posted February 25, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Congrats, awesome deal.......

BTW, you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• meyer fire

Posted February 25, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Good deal on price! You will love this bike, the stock chain stretches alot. The motor is great, very smooth and powerful. You may have some problems with the jetting, Had to switch my pilot jet from a 42 to a 48 and the main from 165 to a 170. This thing runs awesome now. I love this bike, last bike was 426. Yamaha forever!! ENJOY.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted February 25, 2006 - 08:56 PM

So I thought I would never make the transition to a four stroke....I bought my 2002 yz250 brand new and loved it. Well, my buddy just bought a brand new 06 crf450, i hoped on that and now I am a true believer of the 4 strokes. I bleed blue, so I'm hoping for the same wow factor when my yz450f arrives next week. Called dealers around the country and found one for 6199 + 20 paperwork + 150 to ship.....i think that's a pretty good deal from what i've read on the forums!

It was hard to let go of my 05 yz250, but man is the 450 worth it. So much power everywhere with a lot less shifting. The only trouble that I have found is the handlebar bends. The stock is too low and the RC high bend that I put on was way too tall. I just order some twin wall Renthal Emig bend so hopefully that will settle that.

• vtownrida

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:17 AM

i'm running those emig twinwalls on my 250.....So being my first four stroke I was researching about break in on the forums and came across this:
http://mototuneusa.c..._in_secrets.htm

Which basically says to run it like normal with no puting around.....is this what everbody does?
Also, I read some of you completely tear down the bike and re-grease everything.....is there certain points I should definately check if i don't tear down the whole thing

• biznet1

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:00 AM

i'm running those emig twinwalls on my 250.....So being my first four stroke I was researching about break in on the forums and came across this:
http://mototuneusa.c..._in_secrets.htm

Which basically says to run it like normal with no puting around.....is this what everbody does?
Also, I read some of you completely tear down the bike and re-grease everything.....is there certain points I should definately check if i don't tear down the whole thing

I most definately believe in that break in procedure. I was recovering from back surgery when I bought mine so I got two of my friends to ride the shiite out of it on the track. One even put the first scratches on it :thumbsup: . Yes, there does seem to be a grease shortage in Japan.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted February 26, 2006 - 08:16 AM

All linkage points (swingarm, linkage rods, steering head, wheel bearings, axles, shocks, etc) should be greased.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vtownrida

Posted February 27, 2006 - 10:44 AM

right on...thanks for the info guys.....i can't wait

• vtownrida

Posted February 27, 2006 - 10:45 AM

I'm also wondering about jetting, i'm in albuquerque....over 5000ft up, does this mean I might be better off with the stock jetting??

• Troutman

Posted February 27, 2006 - 11:59 AM

I'm also wondering about jetting, i'm in albuquerque....over 5000ft up, does this mean I might be better off with the stock jetting??

I am in Los Alamos and use a 48 pilot and 158 main for 6700'. But you will want to use 48 pilot and a 162 main @ 5500 ft. This info came from Burned and was established in Denver @ 5500 ft with a Dyno that resulted in 50hp. Leave the needle in the stock position. The Dyno graph is around here somewhere do a search. Good luck :thumbsup:

• Sapling Thrasher

Posted February 27, 2006 - 03:32 PM

I hate to say it but that article makes sense!!

Sap

• PK

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:06 PM

I know, it goes against everything I have been raised to believe was sacred. I know it made a difference on breaking in my wife's CRF250. If you don't do it on that bike, it will burn oil because the rings don't seat correctly.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 27, 2006 - 11:10 PM

Congrats dude!!! I'm making the same transition (from a YZ 250 smoker to an '06 YZ450SE -- Can't part with the 250 though... so my 15 year old gets an early birthday present from Dad).

You will LOVE this bike. I've only had it out for a handful of 'real' rides, and I'm already more comfortable, confident and faster on the new bike than on my 250 smoker. Although the powerplant is incredible, it is the suspension where I am noticing the greatest difference. It compensates for a lot of my stupid mistakes.

As has been mentioned, you'll definitely want to look at replacing the chain, the handlebars (stockers were way too short for me), and front tire to start with. I'm using it for more trail than track... so I also added a computer, hand guards with triple clamp mounts, a skid plate, spark arrestor and an hour meter.

Re: break in... after checking all the lube and bolt torques, go ride it and have fun. I'm using non-synthetic (dino) oil for the first 3 changes... then I'll switch to a semi-synthetic. I changed oil and filter after the first 2-3 engine hours. Then again after 5 hours each for the next two changes (with filter changes for each). Then switch to whatever oil you plan on using.

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

• Private B

Posted February 28, 2006 - 06:19 AM

I'm also in burque. I'n currently using a 50 leak jet, 48 pilot and a 162 main. Fuel screw varies on on outside temps. Bike runs awsome.

Eric B

• vtownrida

Posted February 28, 2006 - 01:44 PM

I'm also in burque. I'n currently using a 50 leak jet, 48 pilot and a 162 main. Fuel screw varies on on outside temps. Bike runs awsome.

Eric B

sorry....i'm a 4stroke newbie, but what the hell is the fuel screw and leak jet i'm trying to think if I've had to deal with these on my 2stroke

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.