Bike to arrive Friday

17 replies to this topic
  • Pooley

Posted September 24, 2001 - 04:15 PM

I can't believe it, I will finally be getting my WR!!! It has taken me forever to sell my street bike but it has happened at last!!

I should be picking up my '01 this Thursday or Friday as well as the appropriate equipment such as helmet, gloves etc...

What do you guys wear when riding? I have only ridden street bikes up till now and don't really know what is necessary and what is just for newbies like me. I would really appreciate your advice and input on some of the stuff to avoid.

I also need to know shop and trail items that are a must. Thanks for all your help.

By the way, any Michigan riders attending the CCC Color Tour on Oct 6-7?

• John_H

Posted September 24, 2001 - 05:05 PM

Congrat on the new scooter. Aside from the routine stuff (elbow/knee pads,mx boots,helmet,goggles and gloves) my best purchase was a Camelback. It really makes a difference to be able to sip water as I ride. Seems to cut down on fatigue staying hydrated and you don't have to try to gulp a whole bunch water when you stop. Mine has a few pockets on it too so I can carry my hat (to protect my bald head when I'm taking a break) and my keys, wallet, snacks,etc... I also forked out the cash for some mx pants and jersy. Not really necessary but it's sure nice to have. Then there's the ramp to load the bike (2X10) and gas cans and field tool box and well the list goes on and on and on.

[This message has been edited by John H (edited September 24, 2001).]

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 24, 2001 - 05:17 PM

MX everything in clothing:
MX boots
MX pants (Make sure you have knee guards!!)
Kidney Belt
decent helmet (HJC's are good for the price)
chest protector
elbow guards (I crashed during a Turkey run two weeks ago and my skinned forearm is still healing - elbow guards would have COMPLETELY save my butt - bought some of the new HRC guards today.

Carry with you:
whatever tools you need to pull and replace your spark plug.
a short screwdriver to adjust your fuel screw on the underside of your float bowl (there are specialty screwdrivers ESPECIALLY for this job).
If you are up to it, and a long way from anybody: spare tubes, CO2 cartridge or small tire pump, tire irons.
Some change ($$$), and maybe a cell phone, and some matches in a zip lock baggy. The matches can be used to burn up your bike should it really piss you off. :)

Mail order shop out of Waterford, MI, Mr. X, 1-800-536-6680. Can't vouch for their service, though...

Look for package deals on clothing!!!!!!!!.

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• mcarp

Posted September 24, 2001 - 07:12 PM

Wow, a new dirt rider on a WR. You're in for a treat :D If you haven't become familiar with carburators, I may suggest doing so quickly! Special tools you need are a torque wrench, allen key t-handles (craftsman are a good value), full socket set (6 pt), 22mm, 27mm, and 30mm sockets.
I've also found the craftsman allen key sockets are necessary to properly torque and sometimes even remove some bolts.

Hmm, let's see that's about it but I do end up using all sorts of tools when doing work on the bike.

I also ride a street bike (YZ600F and just sold an '84 nighthawk)), but started on dirt. Dirt bikes are WAY more maintenance, but the fun/fear factor are incredibly worth it.

Some more advice, take it or leave change:

- Be real careful at first and stay away from things like rivers, jumps, steep hills, log crossings, etc. Build your skills before you try something more intense.

- Looks like you're doing the right thing by looking at protective gear. I'm real happy with the EVS Ballistic shock block jersey rather than a chest protector. Check them out at Chapparel. All the above gears applies. hockey gear (knee, shoulder pads) work great and are cheaper than MX gear. Also kidney belts and goggles are a must, IMHO.

- Know how to ride a dirt bike before you hit a trail...Keep elbows up. Stand up as much as possible when not making sharp turns or avoiding overhead branches. Practice braking and shifting while standing. Weight the rear of the machine downhills, weight the front uphills. By a riding instruction video. Street bike experience is definately helpful; but the two have totally different riding styles.

- This may sound funny, but if you know you're going to crash (and you WILL) stay on the bike while slowing down AS LONG AS possible, then push the bike away from you as you bail in the opposite direction.

Chances are you'll come away scratch free with the right protection. Learn how to not just tense up as you *may* do on the street (for example hitting some gravel on a curve sometimes makes me just "tense up and ride out" a little slide because the weight of the bike is too much to help make corrections.

- Know how to start and properly warm up the WR. Don't let others try to start it unless they are given "the drill". This is probably the toughest thing to overcome at first, but simple once you get a hang of it.

- Lube every last stinkin' bearing on the bike before you ride. I know, this is a major pain the butt and you may very well have never pulled a steering head or swingarm in your life. But unless you have the 1 in 100 machine with lubed bearings, chances are grease is lacking. Sorry, but don't say i didn't warn you!

- After you do the basic mods you may have read about, DO NOT be afraid to continue modifications such as re-jetting the carb. Most of the performance can be had by making carb adjustments, all of which you can get help here if you ask the question right.

- Most of all-- Have fun and don't tell your wife/gf how much you crashed :)

- Last but not least, use this forum to help you make changes to the bike. Honestly bone stock the WR is a little lifeless and slow steering so if you're a little dissappointed in the torque or handling at first-no worries there's much potential to be had!

Good luck and hope you get a good deal!

• KAbshear

Posted September 24, 2001 - 09:30 PM

get handgaurds or a handfull of levers.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 25, 2001 - 06:28 AM

Pooley, I would recommend wearing a clown suit!! Thats what I wear!! Just kidding. Congrats on the new scoot. There's really no better feeling that getting a new bike. As far as getting the bike all spiffed up I would go to my local dealer and see if he'll give you a deal on parts and gear. I would recommend getting a skid plate and some hand guards. good luck

Posted September 25, 2001 - 07:28 AM

Damn....If you carried all the items listed here you would need a caravan to follow you where ever you go. :D Now I understand why some thumpers are breaking spokes, bending rims, and having throttle problems.....some of you are riding with a 500lb gorillia on your back. :)

Dude basic safety gear and inspect your bike before you ride and after to keep it in good shape. The WR is the most dependable bike on the trail. :D

It's no wonder I hear some of you are constantly repairing things....Hell..eject some of the junk your carrying on your back.

None of the big blue owners I ride with have ever had to work on the carb in the field....Work on it in the shop and you won't have to in the woods.

A Camelback and a set of Big Brass Balls are all youll ever need :D if you take care of your equipment on a regular basis....

Roost on and enjoy.....

Bonzai :D

• SoCalWR400

Posted September 25, 2001 - 07:46 AM

A good helmet is key KBC makers of most the rest put a good one out this year check it out. Goggles essential. Good boots to protect your legs and some padded riding pants to protect you A$$. I normally wear a regular long sleve shirt or a flannel if it gets cold. I have to agree the camel pack is key to stay hydrated while riding. There are many oter brands that are less expensive my local bike shop has one with their name on it for half the cost. A good site to order from is it is a company called chaparral they got good prices and a hell of a selection, quick shipping too. Good luck and have fun!

Posted September 25, 2001 - 02:43 PM

Hey......don't stand so close to me when you say that dirty word ! That place that begins with a C and end with an L are fighting words to some around here.....Many have been screwed by them....Their NO Customer Service Dept is ledgendary here.

Now don't be throwin yer rocks at me post just happened to be next to his......That's All....

Did someone yell .....Incoming......

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted September 25, 2001 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Guys,

I already have a hydration unit and have no fear of wrenching. I tinkered endlessley with my Magna and it had a bank of 4 carbs, not just one. Talk about fun adjusting the fuel mix and syncronizing the carb slides, great fun on a hot engine.

I will be taking possession of the 01 on Thursday and I already have a "to do" list:
raise the forks up a little - 10mm?
cut grey wire
shorten throttle stop
get an exhaust that will meet the 94 dB limit for CCC rides - Vortip?
make street legal
any other suggestions?

I have been an avid mountain biker for about 10 years or so and learned the value of quality protective gear very quickly. I'm sure I would be either brain damaged, dead or severely injured if not for some of the protective gear I ride bikes with. I will get a discount on all gear purchased with the bike, unfortunately the selection may be a bit small at this time.

I would assume that a lot of the basic riding techinques are similar between mountain bikes and motorcycles, please correct me if I am wrong. I do not plan on racing or leaving mother earth for extended periods of time, I plan to stick to trails.

I have already benefitted tremendously from the collective knowledge here, the problem is sifting through the archives and previous posts. At least it gives me something to do when the wife goes to sleep early.

Thanks again and keep the advice rolling!!!

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 25, 2001 - 05:15 PM

If we didn't have everything I mentioned while riding in Moab last fall, there would have been a few very unhappy campers. I personally saw three flat tires. There may have been more...

At the Turkey Run two weeks ago, two guys flagged me down for tire irons and tubes...

Like I said, "If you are a long way from home.."

Plus, I pull a wagon on my bike AND have a chase vehicle! :D.

A nylon strap could come in real handy for either towing your buddy home, or hanging yourself after you torch your bike with the aforementioned matches. :)

• The_Missile

Posted September 25, 2001 - 10:35 PM

I too have been mountainbiking for the last umpteen years, with downhilling (the uglier the better) my forte. So far on the (technical) downhills I'm not going as fast as I used to on my mountain bike (which surprised me) but the techniques of reading the terrain and body positon are transferrable. You should have a real advantage over a 'real' dirt newbie there. I am already comfortable (after 5-6 rides) on taking downhill sections (even in the wet) that I would NEVER have approached on my mountain bike. I would say that it is almost impossible to endo an WR on the trail (unless you are really unlucky or have balls bigger than they should be!!) and the front supsension eats boulders that would normally eat and spit out a mountain bike®! The front end doesnt wash out on braking as easy as a mountain bike either.

For uphills, remember the cosmic crunch from mountain biking.... (lean up & forward as much as is NECESSARY). You will be surprised at how steep it can get and yet you still keep going. I have not yet wheelied out (I know its coming). Use a higher gear and lower revs to reduce wheelspin & gain traction (and incidentally wheelie tendancy) on greasy uphills.

If you start riding the same trails as you used to on the mountain bike....BEWARE. That corner that is just up there around the bend will be IN YOUR FACE before you know it. So far I have managed to avoid serious injury but I have had a few 'moments' of of frantic braking & sliding, death grips on the bars and clenched nates.

As far as protection goes, if you can afford it buy a mountain bike downhill suit eg dainese.. it has shoulder, elbow, chest, back, elbow, thigh, knee/shin guards as well as shoulder 'straps' which help to avoid shoulder separations. Its comfortable and lightweight, but you have to do the funky chicken to get in and out of it. I never ride without it. Over that I wear MX pants and an ice hockey shirt.... big, lots of holes for ventilation.

My tool bag - which I keep wrapped & separate from my garage tools so I dont have to hunt around before each ride and I alway know is complete....
- selection of sockets & drive, extender (for access to those recessed bolts)
- screwdriver plug-in 'bits'
- vice grips & pliers
- spark plug & extractor
- c wrench(s)
- safety wire, duck tape, zip ties
- nylon tow strap

Essential ... cell phone to call for help or a ride (if you run out of gas like I did a couple of days happy to go riding I forgot to fill her up .... dooooohhhhh!)

er....gotta work...

The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

Posted September 26, 2001 - 06:20 AM

Hey Kev....

Don't get me wrong....all that stuff is very cool...Hell I've got a race trailer with a complete shop inside....I'm just not going to try and carry it on my back...

I even have a Polaris 400L Sport in my trailer should I ever need to be towed from the woods.

• Scott_in_KC

Posted September 26, 2001 - 07:52 AM

Grease that linkage! Mine looked like they rubbed some Chapstick in there and slapped it together. Put that at the top of your list. Much easier to get that stuff broken loose when it's new & clean. Plus you'll know the drill and can tear it down every now & then to keep it up.

I just got my '01 two weeks ago and have been all through the grease & mods. VERY fun bike and the suspension is just awesome. Since you're new to off-road you may not be able to fully appreciate the suspension, but just take a ride on someones DRZ or earlier model bike and you'll be glad to get back on yours!

• The_Missile

Posted September 27, 2001 - 12:58 AM

Yamakaze thats a sweet set up you have there. Whats your address again? :)

The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

• daveee

Posted September 27, 2001 - 03:44 AM

Geezus...Yamakaze Im lost for words. That thing is H-H-UGE! I think you could fit every forum members bike in that trailer. How the heck do u tow the thing?

Looks Gr8! :)

• Tim_Heslip

Posted September 27, 2001 - 05:50 AM

If you get involved with the CCC of Michigan let us know how the rides go. Some buddies of mine and I are interested and feedback would be cool. If you want to MX check out I am not sure if our club is accepting new members but if you are interested you can email one of the officers about joining. Good luck and enjoy what is left of the Michigan summer on the WR.

• BajaGod

Posted October 03, 2001 - 03:53 PM

F*** ME! Thats a garage on wheels!!!

The polaris is such a nice touch... must have race trailer!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.