AIS Removal

5 replies to this topic
  • gdm

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Picked up the GYT-R AIS kit today for my WR450F. Is it very difficult to install? Anyone have any pointers to suggest? The instructions seem fairly complete. My bike appears to have come with the YZ throttle stop already installed, has anyone heard of this before. The bike was purchased at LA Cycle. Any info greatly appreciated.

• clark4131

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Search the archives. You'll find all you need to know...SC

• bcs

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:19 PM

What Clark said...plus, read the "wr450 performance mods" sticky at the top of this forum. Pretty much everything has been addressed here already. A lot of members, including me, have posted into that "sticky".

As far as difficulty goes, it is not difficult. If you are not comfortable pulling the carb off the bike and opening it up to change a jet and a needle, then you are good to go. If you don't feel confident opening up your carb, then find a buddy to give you a hand. With the instructions in the kit, the stuff alread posted here and this forum for any questions, you can git 'er done.

I installed my kit last Saturday. I am slow and methodical--so I don't screw something up or forget how it all came apart--so it took me the better part of the day. That's to remove the AIS, do the carb mods, throttle stop, airbox mod, grey wire mod and exhaust mod. A real motorcycle mechanic would get through it in an afternoon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rangeratlarge

Posted March 03, 2006 - 07:18 PM

[quote name='gdm']Picked up the GYT-R AIS kit today for my WR450F. Is it very difficult to install? Anyone have any pointers to suggest? The instructions seem fairly complete. My bike appears to have come with the YZ throttle stop already installed, has anyone heard of this before. The bike was purchased at LA Cycle. Any info greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE

When I picked up mine at the dealer he had already changed the throttle stop with out my even asking. Said "everyone did it" so I went with it. Just ordered the AIS kit to finished the job but it's on back-order for a week or two :thumbsup:

~RAL

• boer

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:04 PM

The darn AIS kit from Yamaha has been on backorder for some time already. :bonk:

Try the one from the TT store. It looks neater :thumbsup: and I believe they have in stock :thumbsup:

• tfitzgerald2

Posted March 03, 2006 - 10:28 PM

I just purchased 06 WR450 on monday. The AIS is fairly easy to install. You will have to lift the rear frame slightly to get the carb out for re-jetting. The exhaust stinger after rivets were drilled out refused to come out. I heated it with a propane torch, and after cooling with some penetrating oil, and a long punch gently tapped it out for the rear side. You will easily find the gray wire, but be gentle until you get the connector apart. Looking inside the connector back toward the pin with a magnifier, you will see a small plastic tab inside next to the connector pin. This holds the pin in place. I used two very pointed scapels, one to pull back the plastic retaining keep and the other to keep it held back until the pin can be pulled back from the connector body and removed. Heat shrink it, pull it back and wrap with tape. While unlikely, you can always easily re-connect it if required. Dealer mechanic recommended disassembling the rear suspension and greasing all bearing/bolts. You will probably need a second pair of hands to get this done easily. My son-in-law helped me. They were right, very little lubricant, glad I took the time to get it right. Would strongly recco getting frame guards to avoid scratching up the frame. After all the mods, the bike fired right up. FYI, I also cut the holes in the air box. Bike idles great and very responsive. Since removing the carb, also recco the magnetized carb bowl drain plug. Keeps a lot of fine metal present in gas which will get through the gas filter from finding your engine. Also, using external mixture adjust knob. Both from Zip-ty, ask your dealer. Enjoy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.