06 450 in the woods

13 replies to this topic
  • kxman

Posted February 24, 2006 - 06:38 PM

If you are wondering if this will make a good woods bike, wonder no more. This bike absolutely rips in the woods! Today was my first ride on this fine machine since buying it one week ago. Only things I have changed so far is the jetting, fuel screw, added Cycra Pro Bend hand guards, o-ring chain, 52 tooth rear sprocket, backed off the fork compression 5 clicks and rebound 3 clicks, shock compression backed off 3 clicks, slid the forks up 7mm. Haven't even set the sag yet or changed the front tire. I was planning on making some more adjustments to the suspension but I was so pleased with everything I didn't want to stop riding long enough to mess with it.
I have no idea how they made a set of forks so smooth on roots and still be able to take some pretty big hits without bottoming.
Previous bike was a 2000 KX250 with an auto clutch, Racetech forks, WER revalved shock, Eric Gorr ported cylinder, pipe, reeds, etc. etc. and a whole bunch of other stuff. I thought I had the KX turned into the ultimate woods weapon. I was wrong. Other than stalling a few time in the tight stuff because i had gotten spoiled by the auto clutch, i was instantly faster and smoother on the big Yammie. Probably stalled a dozen times on the first loop, all my fault, only stalled 2 times on the second loop. and none thereafter. Thankfully my bike starts on the first or second kick.
Absolutely love this bike. If you are thinking about buying one. Do it, do it now.

• stknrdr

Posted February 24, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Was 52 teeth enough on the rear sprocket? Id like to buy a spare sprocket for mine for traill riding...the stock gearing is just right for the track but waaaay high for trail. I was thinking of buying the biggest rear sprocket there is hehe.

• kxman

Posted February 24, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, it was just about perfect after i got used to using a clutch again

• TexN343

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:04 PM

I'm not sure if they make the auto-clutch for your bike yet but I thinkl that is what really turned my 04 yz450 into a woods bike. I would have set sag before messing with the clickers because the sag from my understanding will affect the way your bike rides.btw What size front sprocket are you running?

• IMCanadian

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:52 PM

Did the gearing changes make enough of a difference that a fly wheel weight would not be required? I know you also said the suspension was pretty good for woods riding as well...is it on the stiff side or is it plush enough for a long trail ride?

• kxman

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:21 PM

To answer the above questions. I didn't set the sag first because in my experience the bike needs a few miles on it, it had zero miles. The suspension tends to settle a bit as everything seats. I am running the stock front sprocket and see no need to change it or add a flywheel weight. I think I will not buy an auto clutch this time, may change my mind later. The auto clutch does make a bike easier to ride in the tight stuff but also removes an element of fun. As for the suspension, in my opinion, and that is all any of this is, it is stiff where it has to be yet is plush at the same time. Suspension shops will get zero dollars from me on this bike. YMMV.

• KTMKarl

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:36 AM

Amazing aren't they! Rode Missouri State Scramble at lebanon yesterday, had a ball, never had better stock suspension on any bike. I kept it stock except a few clicks out on fork rebound and setting the sag and it worked great, just a little hacky in the tight rolly rock stuff but most of my issues there were just trying to negotiate traffic without making mistakes. It got fast in a few spots and we had a killer long creek bed that developed waist high gravel whoops...man that bike could do no wrong there! The motor is a hoot, I killed it once but I probably would have stalled it in that particular situation with an auto clutch. (panic twist) The stock clutch holds up way better to my hamfisted style than the clutch in my 04 250f. I'm straddleing the Auto clutch fence myself had one in the 250f and it was a god-send but the 450 works so well I can't imagine how much better it could be?
I'd caution moving much off stock gearing. I assume it is a little skill dependant (A-sportsman here) but I actually geared mine a little taller and found first a little too low yet and in some tighter sections I was wishing for stock so I could more easily use second and third. This particular course will likely be the tightest/slowest of my year (sub 18mph average) so I'll stick with a 48 in back. I tried a 51 but found just WAY too much wheelspin and much less breadth of gear, I like to minimize shifting as much as possible and the low gears make that tougher.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted February 27, 2006 - 09:47 AM

Anyone put a USFS approved spark arrestor on their bike yet and if so, which one.

• Goosedog

Posted February 27, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Anyone put a USFS approved spark arrestor on their bike yet and if so, which one.

I recommend the ProMoto Billet. Fantastic fit and finish and easy to service too. :thumbsup:

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted February 27, 2006 - 06:53 PM

What about the PMB performance???? Just installed FMF Q2 and it kills the bike's punch. I'm ready to put this on E- bay and dump it. FMF tells me that this is a performance pipe and should help bottom to mid. Do you think this performance can be jetted out of the bike? Looking for opinions. Thanks.

• Goosedog

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Both my YZ's have stock jetting and the PMBs didn't effect their performance at all, I think it would though with the silent inserts in place. They do give the bikes a nicer, more mellow thump than the stock endcap too.

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted February 27, 2006 - 07:19 PM

I mostly do woods ridin here in good ole CO. Mostly concerned about performance. I think a mellower exhaust note is good for all of us as long as I can get the "monster" back into this bike while being compliant and as stealthy as possible. I guess that would be ASAP. I love the machine and think it will be awesome in the woods but would like to have some of the stock characteristics.

• Idaho_Stas

Posted February 27, 2006 - 10:50 PM

I recommend the ProMoto Billet. Fantastic fit and finish and easy to service too. :thumbsup:

Did you get the new style PMB (anodized / cone style) or the style they've had for the past few years?

I've got one of the new style (black anodized) on order, but it will probably be another week or two before it arrives.

• Goosedog

Posted February 28, 2006 - 04:58 AM

Did you get the new style PMB (anodized / cone style) or the style they've had for the past few years?

I've got one of the new style (black anodized) on order, but it will probably be another week or two before it arrives.

I'm not familiar with any new style. I have bought both of mine in the last two years however. They are not anodized and have a cone shaped screen inside.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.