Mod Ideas Needed for '02 426

11 replies to this topic
  • DirtGirl_52

Posted February 24, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Hey everyone. My boyfriends b-day is coming up and he just got a "New-to-him" '02 426. I need gift ideas! His bike seems to have a lot of upgrades already (but what do I know). Riding is his life and I know anything to do with his bike or riding in general is what he would like best. He's going to start desert racing in a few months as well, so any ideas for that might be good too.

Here are a few things I've been tossing around in my head, let me know what all y'all as guys think of one or a few of these as a gift (and let me know of any others that as a guy you'd like getting for your bike or riding in general!):

-Acerbis (or Polisport, which is better?) Plastic Kit (his are kinda beat and he wants to send new ones to Decal Works to get his #'s but can't afford the plastics right now)

-ASV F3 Series Pro Model Clutch Lever w/ Quick Adjust Perch & Thumb yada yada, ASV Brake Lever & Rotator Clamp

-Large Capacity Gas Tank (3.4 gal)

??????????? Please help! Any ideas are welcome! :thumbsup:

• 2fastwhitey

Posted February 24, 2006 - 11:55 AM

I like Acerbis much better than Polisport; Acerbis fit much better and have more of an OEM look and feel. The clutch lever that your looking at is a good one; anything from ASV as far as levers are concerned kick a**. It seems like we all have habbits of breaking levers, since all it takes is a simple fall to break them; so if your mans gonna be desert racing I think if he doesn't have them, he should cause being out in the middle of no where without a clutch just isn't a whole lot of fun, especially if you have hopes of winning. Hope that this will assist you in your decision making.
T

• cowboyona426

Posted February 24, 2006 - 11:58 AM

I like Acerbis much better than Polisport; Acerbis fit much better and have more of an OEM look and feel. The clutch lever that your looking at is a good one; anything from ASV as far as levers are concerned kick a**. It seems like we all have habbits of breaking levers, since all it takes is a simple fall to break them; so if your mans gonna be desert racing I think if he doesn't have them, he should cause being out in the middle of no where without a clutch just isn't a whole lot of fun, especially if you have hopes of winning. Hope that this will assist you in your decision making.
T

03 450 cam mod if it doesn't have it already, hands down the best thing that you can do to a 426.

• vorra65

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Get him the One Industrie's Hannah retro plastic's. Would make his bike very unique-sharp. You can also get a high capacity aftermarket tank in yellow that would go with the retro kit. You get front/rear fender's, radiator shroud's,front/side number plates/plastic's and all the vinyl graphic's to finish it off. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• motohess

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Get him a camel pack style "personal hydration system". They sell for anywhere from $40-$120 and I the best thing I ever bought for trail riding, outside of my Yami

• DirtGirl_52

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Get him the One Industrie's Hannah retro plastic's. Would make his bike very unique-sharp. You can also get a high capacity aftermarket tank in yellow that would go with the retro kit. You get front/rear fender's, radiator shroud's,front/side number plates/plastic's and all the vinyl graphic's to finish it off. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Those are sweet actually. He wanted the new '06 450 in yellow......!! But couldn't afford the bike. I didn't even know about this! Thanks hotrod.

Keep the ideas coming everyone!! :thumbsup: So far these have all been great. More more more.... :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426boy

Posted February 25, 2006 - 12:03 AM

u can never go wrong with a nice oversize tank i really like my acerbis 3.3 u can pick em up for around $200.00

• Satch0922

Posted February 25, 2006 - 04:42 AM

does he have all the protective gear he needs? Good boots, helmet, knee guards, roost protector, gloves etc. This should be the very first thing you get him set up with if he is missing anything.

• DirtGirl_52

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:34 AM

Ok everyone... update. I have bought him the ASV F3 Pro Clutch w/ Quick Adjust & Hotstart & the brake lever & rotator. So that's a start.

He has all the gear he wants/needs. Doesn't need the 450 cam mod because he can start his bike within the first 2-3 tries without it and is the type of guy that likes to shove that in his friends faces haha. So that's out. Those yellow graphics are out... too much of a "surprise" bike change without asking first I think. Camel pack is an idea but I don't think he'd use it. He'd probably put beer in it and I don't want him getting dehydrated from that :thumbsup: Any more ideas... I'm open.

Thanks for all the help by the way! :thumbsup:

• ridesblue

Posted February 26, 2006 - 12:00 PM

a little pricey but if he is going to be desert racing you cant beat a scots steering stabilizer. really improves handling

http://www.mxsouth.c...bilizer_kit.htm

• Yak

Posted February 26, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Ok everyone... update. I have bought him the ASV F3 Pro Clutch w/ Quick Adjust & Hotstart & the brake lever & rotator. So that's a start.

He has all the gear he wants/needs. Doesn't need the 450 cam mod because he can start his bike within the first 2-3 tries without it and is the type of guy that likes to shove that in his friends faces haha. So that's out. Those yellow graphics are out... too much of a "surprise" bike change without asking first I think. Camel pack is an idea but I don't think he'd use it. He'd probably put beer in it and I don't want him getting dehydrated from that :thumbsup: Any more ideas... I'm open.

Also, note:

The Hurricane kits look kinda kooky unless you have repainted the frame black or silver. If you leave the frame regular yamaha blue it sticks out like a sore thumb and ruins the whole effect.

A Pro Moto Billet Kickstand would be a nice addition to a desert bike.

http://www.promotobi...em.asp?itemid=7

Posted Image

• MichiganMXer

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:41 PM

He has all the gear he wants/needs. Doesn't need the 450 cam mod because he can start his bike within the first 2-3 tries without it and is the type of guy that likes to shove that in his friends faces haha. So that's out. Those yellow graphics are out... too much of a "surprise" bike change without asking first I think. Camel pack is an idea but I don't think he'd use it. He'd probably put beer in it and I don't want him getting dehydrated from that :bonk: Any more ideas... I'm open.

Daammmnn!! Hows that for girl eh?

Nothing wrong with some brand new tread. New season, new rear...and since it his birthday, throw yours in with it.. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.