Pilot Air Screw Tool

7 replies to this topic
  • The_Missile

Posted September 24, 2001 - 12:13 PM

I could imagine finding a short enough screwdriver to do the job...so I made one... from an interchangeable screwdriver bit epoxied to a short piece of metal to create a T. Works like a charm.

Still may get one of those Kouba thangs though...

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

• ricky1

Posted September 24, 2001 - 12:27 PM

Missle, quit thinking and get one. Kouba rocks! Best $16 ever spent on this bike. You can even reach down and adjust it while sitting in the bike!

------------------
Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'00 yz426 destroyed by fire in desert race 4/22/01
'81 490 Maico

• wrpunisher

Posted September 24, 2001 - 12:55 PM

Hey Rick, if you haven't already, would you mind sharing the story on your '01 burning up? Just curious...

Chris
Desert racer

• ricky1

Posted September 24, 2001 - 05:34 PM

This was posted on DRN some time ago.
Fire!
It didn't have to happen. I made some mistakes. I learned some things. I lost a $10,000+ bike. I am not hurt.
I was in a 100 mile desert race in Winnemucca, NV on 4/22/01. My third race ever. Just out of the pits, starting the second 50 mile loop I missed a turn. Heading back to the course, I came to the edge of a small ravine. I stopped, looked into the ravine and saw that it was filled with tumbleweeds. Having no experience with tumbleweeds I tried to ride through the ravine. The weeds were about 4 feet deep, and packed tight. I got stuck, and no amount of revving, clutching, and pushing would even move the bike. Suddenly there were small flames, right under my header pipe. I dropped the bike and tried to put the flames out with my hands. For about 2 seconds, I thought I had them out. Then POOF, they flared up again. About that time I realized that I was laying on a full oversized tank of gas, trying to put out a fire with my hands. Dumb. My brain said run, but I could only manage to crawl/swim through the dense tumbleweeds about 15 feet away, due to exhaustion. I rested for a few minutes, then realized I was not far enough away. I managed to get out of the ravine, and walked away. I couldn't bear to watch my bike burn. And burn it did, in a big way.
When I went back later to get the remains, two of us easily picked it up and "tossed" it into the back of a truck. I'll bet it didn't even weigh 125 lbs. Needless to say, there was nothing salvageable. I left the hulk with the guy who helped me recover it.
The fire burned up and down the ravine, about 200 feet, and went out. Thank God.
I had no injuries, only some singed hair on my face. Eyelashes, eyebrow, and mustache. Very lucky.
Did I have insurance? No. I hadn't gotten around to it. My only real concern was theft, which I thought I could prevent.
I think this is a very serious issue for four-stroke riders. The header can reach temp's near 800 degrees. I frequently smell burning brush while riding.
In hindsight, I could have prevented this. I should have shut off my bike, and cleared a path out of the weeds. Ahhh, hindsight

------------------

Pics to follow, if I can figure it out.

------------------
Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'81 490 Maico

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WRrider

Posted September 25, 2001 - 02:03 PM

Rick-
What is this tool you are referring to and where can I get one? I have such a hard time adjusting the air screw a twenty spot would be money well spent!! I can only imagine how much swearing that tool would eliminate from my vocabulary!!

thanks

------------------
Bob from Aliso Viejo
2001 WR426

• Bill

Posted September 25, 2001 - 03:19 PM

www.koubalink.com

Tell'em ThumperTalk sent you.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• ricky1

Posted September 25, 2001 - 03:26 PM

Thanks Bill

------------------
Rick Fuller
'01 yz426
'81 490 Maico

• The_Missile

Posted September 25, 2001 - 11:01 PM

Anybody in Europe want one of these things.. I'm ordering and we can save on the 25$ minimum if we group an order..

email me simon.picthall@ch.novartis.com

let me know

cheers

Missile

------------------
The Missile
'99 WR400F
Airbox Lid - gone
Throttle Stop - shorty!
Plastics/Tank/Seat - One Industries
Street Legal

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.