FMF Q Anyone Have One?

4 replies to this topic
  • 02fourtwosix

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I just bought a leftover YZ450F and it is quite a bit louder than the stock 426 it replaced. Does the FMF Q make the bike much quieter and what, if any, changes does it make to the overall power? Any comments would be great.

• rlp1

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:43 AM

We have an FMF Q on the 2001 426. It makes the bike very quiet. I don't use all of the power, so I don't know how much it changed, but the bike is still very powerful. Dyno runs I've seen place the Q as putting out decent horsepower. You're not going to use the extra 1 hp from a louder pipe, so you might as well get the Q.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • essex426

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:14 PM

I just bought a leftover YZ450F and it is quite a bit louder than the stock 426 it replaced. Does the FMF Q make the bike much quieter and what, if any, changes does it make to the overall power? Any comments would be great.

Got one on an 02 yzf426.Its a lot quieter,but it seemed to be less responsive,even after jetting.Still not bad,i like QUIET.

• Radbuster

Posted February 24, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I have one on my bike sometimes.

It's pretty good at muffling the bark above mid-rpm, but it's far from whisper-quiet like a corked-up street bike.

A newly repacked stock YZF is actually pretty good, but once the rpm's rise and the main exhaust pulse pushes out behind the long muffler, you could just as well have a straight pipe. Riding it at low to mid rpm could be similar to the Q.

The Q has the extra chamber that traps and jumbles the exhaust pulse and forces the excess force into the packing, while keeping a decent sized exit hole to vent out the total volume of gases.

Many after-market "performance" pipes are more free-flowing and a lot louder.

Putting on a Q often requires rejetting to a smaller pilot and main jet.

A Q is pretty cheap, but new packing is even cheaper.

• kpi103

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:12 PM

Definitely takes away the "bark". I have one on my 04 450. Very happy with it. Power wise I don't think there was very much performance loss of the stock pipe (if any). But the bike has too much power as it is, so I don't think I would notice anyway. I wouldn't say it makes the bike quiet by any means, but alot quieter then stock. Hope this helps a little.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.