right boot covered in oil!!!!??

11 replies to this topic
  • troys450

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:13 PM

we went riding last week at ocotillo wells,well,tried.3 miles out i looked at my right boot and it was covered in oil.yikes.at firdt glance it looked like a cracked frame.after cleaning n lookin close it awas the plug on the right front
of the head,in the front,any body have this happen yet?the plug covers what used to be decomp.valve :thumbsup:

• Lowedog

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:19 PM

2003 or 2004 450 I take it? Fairly common on these bikes. Poor choice by Yamaha to plug the hole. :thumbsup: I think TT sells an aluminum plug for the hole that is held in by a screw. Look for it in the TT store.

-Lowedog

• troys450

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:20 PM

ya 2 bucks or so.ruined my ride cuz a 2 dollar part

• WheelsUp

Posted February 23, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Don't replace it with another $2 plug that'll fall out and ruin another ride.
Get the machined plug from the TT store... it's about $20 and will last forver.

• bradc-wr450

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:43 PM

I just had the same thing happen to me... the store here has what you need and it was a 2 minute fix that looks good and should last. The gasket comes with it. I ordered one (not knowing...) so now I have an extra, I guess. Took a couple days to get here.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:57 PM

got 800 miles of hard riding on my 2004 WR450 and have NOT had this happen

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SPLATT

Posted February 25, 2006 - 01:59 AM

I had it happen on my 04. I used a 18mm automotive oil galley plug.

Steve

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 25, 2006 - 09:47 PM

It took about 2000 miles until it happend on my WR,but it happened. I would just get the plug from the TT store and be done with it. Then you dont have to worry about it ruining your day, or worse your bike.

• RaphFoFiddy

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:48 AM

Same thing happened to me on my 03, my local Yam shop was out so I had them find one that was almost the same size (a tad bigger) 2 seasons later it's yet to pop out again. Your lucky mine was hitting my radiator and header pipe causing a little flame actionamidst the confusion. Thats what I get for getting a FMY bike, did the same thing with my trucklet... some folk never learn :thumbsup: .

• Yamaster

Posted February 26, 2006 - 02:07 PM

Thats happened to a few people I know so we just JB welded it shut. No problems since and that was about a year and half ago.

• ARin

Posted February 26, 2006 - 03:43 PM

It will happen eventually...best bet is to go ahead and spend the money on the TT machined plug.

It ruined a dunes ride for me back when i was riding my 250. When i got my 450, the aluminum plug was the first mod i made.

• Beejay

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:10 PM

You now have to cover your left boot with oil to even things out :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.