Couple of bar questions

4 replies to this topic
  • cowboyona426

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Has anyone ever tried KX high Pro Tapers? They are actually taller than the Windham bend, but more swept back (close to Henry/Reed sweep). Also, has anyone tried the Pro Taper contour bars? According to the spec sheet they are 1/2 inch narrower than the "traditional" PT's, I was wondering if anyone could verify this or if the narrower bar bothered them. I'm 6'2" with long arms, so I don't want to feel like I'm riding a TT-R 50 instead of a YZ 450 when I get my new bike.

• 642MX

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:42 PM

I use PT (YZ highs) on my bike. For Christmas, I bought my fiancee a set of Contour PT's (YZ high) for her 250F. I didn't think anything was different from my bars. They looked the same to me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Idaho_Stas

Posted February 23, 2006 - 10:46 PM

I swapped out the stockers for Windhams... and wish I had gone with the KX Highs. I like the bend of the Windhams, but I'm still needing to add a 10mm riser to get the bars where I want them (hopefully they're in the mail by now).

Can't speak to the sweep comparison between the Windhams and the KX highs because I've never ridden the KX's... but I've got a buddy that swears by them.

Good luck. I'm pleased with every aspect of the '06 (with the other additions I've made), but so far I have not cracked the code on the bar height.

• jgerdi

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:31 AM

I like the narrower bars. One day at the track I bent my mx bars. All I had in my trailer were my woods bars. I was supprised to find that I keeping the bike down in corners was easier. I now cut my mx bars 1/2 inch each side. And that goes for my new Reed bends that I just put on my 06 450.

• snowboardstylee

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have ea 04 yz 450 im 6'3 and i put the PT windham Contour bar on .. i like it a little wide , need to cut about 1/2 inch off each side. don't have a saw though and i asked the shop and he was like "ill never cut a handlebar in my lifetime" sorry . i said your gay and don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. i said "go pull a PT bar off the shelf and you will see guide marks that are measured specifically for CUTTING" he looked at me puzzled ....

I think its all personal preference. would like to maybe feel what a little higher bar would feel like .

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.