Considering a '96 XR 600 r

4 replies to this topic
  • gaucho

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:59 PM

I am coming off of an '85 xl 350r which I ran 99% on the dirt. I am looking at a 96 xr600r. What I really want is a ktm 525 that I have ridden and fell in love with. Also I have experience on a friend's '02 XR650r. I am looking at the 600 because of the price and the rfs is going to have to wait for awhile.

Question is, how does it compare to the xr650 as far as weight and feel goes? I am looking for more power where my 350 just couldn't take all of the hills, especially the sandy ones. I am just a weekend trail basher, but have advanced skills. Will it keep up with the 525 on the big hill climbs?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted February 24, 2006 - 04:53 AM

The 600 will be a definate improvement over your 350. The 650R has proabably 20-30% more power than the 600 (seat of the pants guesstimate) and handles (and feels lighter to me, although it's not) much better. The 600 will conquer some big hills and has an awesome seat. Lots of parts still around for the 600.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted February 24, 2006 - 06:04 AM

The 650R will keep you grinning due to the fantastic motor and good handling (for it's size), but I still prefer the XR600 for long consecutive days in the saddle due to the comfort factor and stone axe reliability.

• SONODROOPY

Posted February 24, 2006 - 10:48 AM

I've got a 95 XR600 and I love it. Tons of power, very reliable (takes a licking and keeps on ticking), and a lot cheap to buy than the 650.

• gaucho

Posted February 25, 2006 - 05:33 PM

Thanks guys, I just picked it up for $1500. It is very clean and solid. Here is the autotrader link: http://adcache.cycle.../6/82744166.htm He switched the graphics from the purple/pink scheme so it looks really nice. I am very happy with it so far, can't wait to take it out. It's an XR, so I know it won't fail me.

I love the power!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.