power now

10 replies to this topic
  • idiot_on_426

Posted February 23, 2006 - 06:50 PM

can anyone tell me what the power now upgrade for a 2001 yz426 is, how it works and how much it costs? thanks

• River4Life

Posted February 23, 2006 - 09:42 PM

hi,
why would you want a power now kit for your 426??? That bike has 50 horse power as is! and if you really are an idiot on your bike, adding more power to it will only help you WAD yourself up!!! are you throttle happy? just crazy with no technique? is that possible??? do wheelies just thrash your bike?? wait....now im confused!

• aford541

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:05 PM

Thumper talk has a really cool search feature.
http://www.thumperta...orum/search.php

• idiot_on_426

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:04 AM

hahahahahhaha, thanks ryan

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:52 AM

The Power Now places a flat sheet of steel in the mouth of the carb to divide the entrance throat into an upper and lower half. The idea is to reduce the turbulence in front of the slide at lower throttle openings, and thereby improve air flow and throttle responsiveness at less than half throttle.

It accomplishes this reasonably well on a 250F, which is high-strung enough to have a fair amount of intake reversion at low speeds, but I have never ridden a properly jetted 426 or 450 that I though needed any better throttle response, frankly. To me, they're worthwhile on the smaller bike, but unnecessary on the larger. They also do not add any power at full throttle anywhere in the rev range, and some claim that it cuts top end power, although I haven't seen that with my 250. Some claim that a 426 starts better with a Power Now, but I don't know if I buy that, either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jgerdi

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:08 AM

When I had my crf250 I bought into the power now power plus and I-cat performance adds. My buddy, who has been racing for probably 30 years, questioned the dollor for dollar performance gains. He was right . smoke and mirrors thats what those are. I waisted 300 + dollars when i could have bought a pipe. .I dont know if you need a pipe but I'm sure you need something else.

• Matt96xr6

Posted February 24, 2006 - 08:28 AM

The Power Now places a flat sheet of steel in the mouth of the carb to divide the entrance throat into an upper and lower half. The idea is to reduce the turbulence in front of the slide at lower throttle openings, and thereby improve air flow and throttle responsiveness at less than half throttle.

It accomplishes this reasonably well on a 250F, which is high-strung enough to have a fair amount of intake reversion at low speeds, but I have never ridden a properly jetted 426 or 450 that I though needed any better throttle response, frankly. To me, they're worthwhile on the smaller bike, but unnecessary on the larger. They also do not add any power at full throttle anywhere in the rev range, and some claim that it cuts top end power, although I haven't seen that with my 250. Some claim that a 426 starts better with a Power Now, but I don't know if I buy that, either.

Well said!

Do the BK mod and jet the carb.

• idiot_on_426

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:46 AM

ya thanks, i actually do have a full pro circut t-4 exhaust and header and i think it actually is making my bike less jumpy and just more long distance faster, but what i did when i was at the track is i put my friends 03 yz450 stock header and exhaust and i noticed my bike was more snappy, so i might look into getting a stock pipe. idk

• idiot_on_426

Posted February 24, 2006 - 09:50 AM

thanks for the advice im going to do the bk mod

• 426boy

Posted February 25, 2006 - 12:06 AM

hi,
why would you want a power now kit for your 426??? That bike has 50 horse power as is! and if you really are an idiot on your bike, adding more power to it will only help you WAD yourself up!!! are you throttle happy? just crazy with no technique? is that possible??? do wheelies just thrash your bike?? wait....now im confused!

i think u just described ME!!!!! :thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted February 25, 2006 - 04:47 AM

I made my own for my 426. It won't be night and day but it did make my throttle response crisper down low. Of course as stated before make sure the bike is jetted correctly first and do the GB/BK mod.

GB/BK Mod

JamesNow (homemade powernow)

JAMES NOW PG 1

JAMES NOW PG 2

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.